Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Feel a bit lost

Im generally okay in my self at the moment, but the one thing that is getting to me really is that we dont have a goal to reach with ttc.
Ive been given my tablets to get me ovulating and pretty much just left to get on with it, but after 5 months of taking the tablets and still no BFP Im starting to wonder if they're even helping at all and what happens if Im still taking the Norprolac 6 months from now and still no BFP. I just feel like we're at the start of another road not knowing how far we've got to go before we get there and with no pit stops to look forward to on the way.
I suppose all I can do is hope for a BFP soon. And I guess despite ttc for 2 yrs, it's only been 5 months really and I guess that's still in the normal length of ttc and I also guess that the Norprolac doesnt increase our chances of conception any more than other couples, just gives us a chance of conception the same as fertile couples.

Thanks for listening girls. I just wanted to express my thoughts and get it all written down.

xxx

Replies

• hello chick, first off sending you a big hug xx

Where you advised of a specific time scale to try for? I'm not far enough on to be on anything yet getting the tests done at the minute but have you phoned the gp or hos to chase up. My granny always says the baby that cries the loudest gets the milk!!!!!!! Also you mentioned the tabblets were to get you ovulating, a lot of girls have mentioned clomidas great, could you request this as an option. I could be being very naive to be honest I'mnot sure if norprolac and clomid are different the same etc but if your unhappy I would push for more you've waited long enough and if you read the posts of others they seem to be getting more treatment, offers from hos.

Not that its a competition or anything at all but from reading posts I myself have become a lot more educated thanks to the never ending fountain of knowledge from the ladies here and would feel more empowered to challenge and ask for more if I wasn't happy???

Hope this comes accross the way it is supposed to and that is supportive!!!! xx
  • Hey popsicle

Your prolactin is normal now though? Has anyone been doing any ovulation tracking by scans or blood tests?

Have you being doing opk's at home?? Just thought it would be reassuring to know. I am sure you are checking it is a test after all.

Probably all useless thing to say but I can't remember whether your dh was checked as well. Then you have all your bases covered.

The waiting seems endless and some days hopeless... maybe if you set some time limits like at 8 months asking for futher referral

Take care
  • Hi Popsicle,
    I'm afraid I don't really have any decent advice here (what the other girls said sounds good though!)... I just wanted to say I know how you feel... It is hard to feel that you are waiting indefinitely, I am constantly dwelling on the thought that if this treatment cycle doesn't work then we have to wait a few months then start another cycle and then maybe on to a full round of IVF again. It does get you down when you think of the worst case scenario!
    On the other hand... you have to keep hoping this month is your month! At least you are on medication and like you said 5 months isn't really too long. Plenty of my friends (with no probs) took more than 5 months to conceive!
    Maybe just focus month by month??
    Sorry I couldn't help. Sending you lots of PMA (we can make a deal to start thinking of the best case scenario instead of the worst!)
    xxx
  • Hiya girls - thanks for the replies.

moonbeam, Im thinking of going to the GP tomorrow, I wanted to discuss my rather sore abs that I seem to be getting every month about 8/9 days before af is due, so I will mention then that I want to talk to my consultant about a future plan. I do have a consultant appt in April, so I guess seens as I will be onto my 7th cycle post treatment he may well want to discuss making changes anyways. Norprolac is used for a differant reason than Clomid. Whilst I wasnt ovulating pre-treatment, it was due to a problem that needed correcting - hence the Norprolac. And once that's corrected my natural cycle should have taken over and corrected itself in turn. Whether things are still working is another issue possibly unrelated to the original problem. I will wait it out till my next Consultant appt and hope he has a plan (he's a bit of an arse so Im a bit scared of suggesting things to him - last appt - vvv bad experience as I looked into the problem and had questions - he seemed to take badly to that!)

J-Jenko
    I had a blood test one month after starting to take the Norprolac and the result was within the normal referance range, so yes that is corrected. I did the whole regime of home tests available - bar the CBFM (too costly) and a pattern emerged that suggested I was ovulating. My Consultant advised me not to use OPKs and BBT tracking etc as the evidence he's been looking at suggests it's inaccurate and at my last clinic appointment he advised me agianst it. He doesnt know I was a scientist - anyway - as far as Im concerned - I am ovulating. I havent had any formal blood tests done to prove it - which I find unusual. I think I will ask about that too at the GP's. dh had a SA done last June. I remember the results off the top of my head were:
    Rapid forward progression: 51%
    Immotile: 45%
    Non progressive and sluggish made up the differance.

The count was good - I dont remember the exact figures but I remember thinking that wasnt an issue (50Million/ml or there abouts)
    The morphology was borderline at 14% Normal Morphology. 15% is the cut off point, so above 15% is good,

The overall result was 'Satisfactory'

We've been working hard over the last 7 months or so to improve those results and Ive suggested dh should go back to the GP and request a further test to assess for any improvements. That's a job for tomorrow as well.

Phew - marathon post or what? lol
    xxx
  • I guess all you can do is keep going which is so frustrating after all this time. Even though you only reached the starting line properly 5 months ago you bear the frustration of the other endless 20 months or so as well. I guess the only other things to rule out would be thyroid and ultrasounds to check out the ovaries........
    Good news on the SA though that sounds good. Bit fascinated on the bbt front as the one time I got a visual follicle on ultrasound it didn't match the BBT data. Could be the whole PCOS thing though. Sounds like no method is infallble aprart from serial ultrasound which is less than practical hence the BD every other day marathon!!
    take care
    X