Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO MrsBambino-IVF appointment update

Hi there

Just thought I would let you know how our appointment yesterday was at the IVF clinic. (By the way, really hate going to the unit as had scan there in Dec with miscarriage AND every time we go there there are heavily pregnant women outside smoking-really doesn't seem fair).

Anyway, the Dr went through our forms and checked our history-luckily it was the consultant who has seen us throughout our infertility clinic appointments. He then went through the whole IVF process. Unfortunately, I hadn't quite grasped the length of the process, and depending on when my July AF starts, it may be into September for the egg retrieval, rather than August.

He also talked about putting back 1 or 2 embryos (hoping we get to that stage) and obviously the added risks with twins etc. A nurse took blood from each of us for Heb B,C and HIV, and we were given an appointment in May for hubby to do another SA (to be analysed by the embryologist), and us both to see a nurse re. injections/drugs used and side-effects etc.

Then I call the clinic when July AF starts and they do a baseline scan on day 21, I think. Then the whole down-regulation etc. starts.

Always go to these appointments quite excited and leave a bit deflated. I don't know why really, I suppose it just brings it home that we're really having to do this. Fingers crossed for an early cancellation, or even better, a BFP before then.

As I said before, our lives are really on hold-we haven't booked holidays or anything just on the off chance that a cancellation comes up. Keep me updates with your progress too.

JCB x

Replies

• Options
    Hi JCB
    Thanks so much for posting - I was very excited when I saw a post for me - never had that before I don't think!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to describe how it all went. It's so useful and it sounds like we'll be on similar time frames once TX starts as , hopefully (if I can use that word), we'll start treatment in September, depending on when my August AF starts, so it'll be really useful to share experiences etc.. Of course, always hoping we get our BFPs before then!

Maybe you can help with something? In terms of payment etc, I have been wondering, what would happen if say one got pregnant before treatment started, do you think we would still have to pay something towards the treatment even if we hadn't started yet? I'm sorry I can't remmeber if you were funded or private so this question might not apply (I am scared to flick back on Baby Expert in case it eats my post!) My clinic seem to say no, but I want to double check that with them when we have our first proper IVF consultation.

I know what you mean about feeling excited then a little deflated. I expect I'll feel the same when the time comes. I think it's just that we always feel like we're waiting on 'the next thing' - whether it's AF, an appointment, an SA result, a bloods result, or treatment . And, as you say, there is definitely the mixed emotions around on one hand being glad to be getting moving with treatment and on the other, so desperately wishing not to have to be in the situation at all.

As for putting life plans on hold - it's hard isn't it. I swing from doing exactly that to being deliberately defiant and booking little trips etc in the hope that 'sods law' will prevail and I'll somehow trick nature into giving me a BFP! Crazy lady that I am becoming!!

Anyway, sorry such a long waffly reply - thank you so much for the update. Honestly means a lot to me. I will let you know when we get dates through. The lady said 1st apt would be 6 weeks away, so I expect a letter with the actual date soon. Hmm, what was that I said about feeling like we're always waiting on something!!

Thanks again and all the best with everything - you are on the way to a BFP, even though it's a path none of us would choose - the destination will be worth the journey! xxx

[Modified by: MrsBambino on March 24, 2009 04:48 PM]

• Options
    i truly understand your situation,
    hubby and i are currently waiting for an appeal decision as im only 21 they said they dont fund us untill im 23, we appealed it like i siad are wiating for the result. ,we feel like we cant wait any longer but there is nothing we can do. its horrible. at least you are abit further than us. just remember there is always someone worse off than you!!! i know it sounds horrible b ut it really helps to boost yourself. plus we are all here for support of each other

sorry my spelling has gone weird (been at uni for 8 hrs now, and can not write any more assignment if i tried) hence why im on here tehe

hope to hear from you all soon xx
    Mrs E xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply-I have a feeling we may be chatting a fair bit over the next few months!

We are self-funding. Lucky to be able to as there is no way I would have been able to cope with the 2 year NHS waiting list. Not sure about the payments, as that was not actually something we discussed yesterday! However, our letter about the nurse appointment in May mentioned something about a ??130 or so fee for a consultation which is apparently additional to the fee quoted for IVF, and is added on at the end.

I imagine you pay just before starting drugs (I know it is before as opposed to after treatment), and by that stage obviously a natural BFP would be impossible due to down-reg etc. If we were lucky enough to get a BFP before that then we would probably be charged for any consultations we had already had.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure but there's no way we would be charged the full amount if we didn't require treatment anymore.

You're right about life just now being a constant countdown. The only time I really relax is a couple of days into AF (once I've got over the inital disappointment) until the pressure of BDing starts again!

Anyway, hope your appointment comes through soon, and keep me posted.

JCB x
  • Options
    Mrs E, hi there - sorry to hear about your situation - I hope things turn around and the decision is appealed. It seems crazy to have that age restriction. You're right, there is always someone worse off - I fully appreciate that - and as you say, sometimes it's a good thing to remember. This TTC business is a real test isn't it.

JCB - thanks for the advice re funding etc - and yes, I think we'll be chatting a fair bit over the next wee while!

I think you, me and Claire-ski are in very similar position (I'm sure there are others but I am still catching up with everyone's story).

What you said about only really relaxing when AF is a few days in - I totally identify with that. CD1 I am usually full of tears but by CD2/3 I actually feel relatively normal as it's the only time I feel 100% free of symptom spotting temptations or pressure to BD at right time. I know that sounds awful saying 'pressure' to BD - it's a pressure I put on myself I guess.

I felt a bit teary recently as i was reading a post somewhere on BE and ladies were totally enthusing about how wonderful and exciting it is to be having 'babymaking' sex and i remember how exciting it was when DH and I first started TTC. Instead of tears , each month and even each AF was filled with hope and excitement and it all felt like one big adventure.

Don't get me wrong, we have great BD - but I miss the optimism I used to have each month. I don't even POAS anymore. I think LTTTC has the potential to be so damaging -I'm determned not to let it - I can see how couples struggle with getting through it all in one piece! We will, I do believe that 100%, but I just hate the sadness it creates every month.

I am going to make a real effort this month to try and focus on relationship and not so much on ttc - i am trying to tell myself that we're doing all we can now and we're 'on the list' so I just have to try and be patient for a bit longer. xxx

[Modified by: MrsBambino on March 24, 2009 06:41 PM]

• Options
    Mrs E-sorry to hear what you're going through-I really don't know how anyone else has a right to tell you when you can have a baby. Surely if you and your hubby are ready then that's the right time?!
    Good luck with your appeal.

Mrs Bambino-I don't think you're the only one who feels the pressure. I feel now that we're BDing for one reason-to have a baby-and it's annoying when people say 'just enjoy it'! It's gone way past that for us, unfortunately!!!

JCB x
  • Options
    Hi girls

I hope you don't mind me gate crashing your post, but MrsBambino reading your last post I could have written it myself. I know just what you mean about missing that optimism and by now I just brace myself for day one instead of POAS and hoping. It's all so draining. I'm also gate crashing because I think I will be starting IVF at about the same time as you guys.

We had our first appointment at the fertility clinic yesterday to begin IUI. I'll be taking Clomid from day 1 and will therefore go for the insemination in about 5 weeks time. After two cycles of that we will begin IVF, so unless the IUI works (and it only has a success rate of about 10%) we'll be starting IVF later in the summer.

Having a very low day today - so far all our tests have been fine but yesterday I found out that my latest FSH result was 11. The clinic have said not to worry but as a result they will use the short course protocol of IVF if we get that far. Most scary if my FSH goes about 14 they won't give me IVF at all. I'm currently looking at acupuncture to reduce my stress levels and some say it can reduce FSH levels too so fingers crossed.

Anyway, sorry this has turned into rather a long post but wanted to wish you lots of luck and say it would be great to keep in touch.

xxx
  • Options
    Daisygirl, thanks for the note and don't worry about 'gate-crashing', you're not, and it's good to get other peoples' perspectives on things. You're right about it being draining and , I must confess, in a weird way I was relieved when you said you identified with my post about 'losing the optimism' as I sometimes feel so angry at myself for feeling that way, so in a funny kind of way it helps to know I'm not alone in battling with these emotions. I even (on low days!)find myself scowingl at the Clear Blue Digital advert on TV just now, the one that says 'the only thing it can't tell you, is if it's a boy or a girl' Bitter, moi?!! lol!

I really hope your IUI goes well and hopefully you won't need to go as far as the iVF later in the summer. Fingers crossed for all of us!

Sorry to hear you're having a low day today - I'm afraid I don't know anything about FSH results but I'm sure some of the ladies on here may have an insight?? Accupuncture is great and very relaxing - I did it for a wee while and I would recommend it. Although, to be honest, I think it is impossible to totally relax with what we all have going on - when you want something so much adn wish for it every single day, well, it's hard not to obsess from time to time!

It's great to be able to 'chat' to all you girls and hear how despite all our different situations and stages, there is so much commonality and we all can get reasurance from each other. It certainly makes me feel less of a crazy lady lol! xx
  • Options
    Thanks MrsBambino. Still a bit shell shocked about the FSH, even though I spoke to the nurse again yesterday and she told me not to worry. Just that horrible sneaking feeling that it might never happen. Trying really hard to be positive though.

Yes, I definitely do feel jaded about the whole thing. Just the same as you with ads! When I'm on my own and there's one of those ads says 'blah, blah, blah with your baby....' I shout at the tv 'I haven't got a baby!!!'. Can't be healthy I'm sure! After 2 years it's so hard to stay optimistic so I don't think we can be too hard on ourselves. The thing that worries me is that I've got to the point that I just want it over one way or anohter. It's like walking around with a black cloud over my head all the time and although I'd give anything to have a baby, I'd give quite a lot just to not have to think about it all any more. What you said about those couple of days a month after day 1 when you felt pretty normal really struck a chord with me. I love those days, when I almost feel like a I did before we started all this. I sometimes look at old phots too and remember how carefree I was before ttc. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end but it can feel like a really hard slog.

Be great to keep in touch, I have a feeling IVF will be hard, though great to be getting somewhere. I'm really looking forward to starting the acupuncture and hoping that will be a little like therapy too!

Where are you guys at this month? I'm on about day 9 but will be away for a couple of days around ov so we're trying to make the most of our last drug-free month around my days away. Lots of luck to you all for an IVF-free BFP before any of us get to that point!

x
  • Options
    Hi Daisy Girl

Sorry to hear you're going through similar troubles and wishing you lots of luck with IUI. Hopefully, you will get your BFP that way, and not even have to think about IVF!

I am on CD 25 and about 9DPO. So far resisting the POAS urge-just! I find the disappointment every month sooooo hard to deal with, and I often think hubby doesn't truly understand. Unfortunately, this leads to arguments etc.

You're right about IVF-I think it's going to be incredibly hard. I struggle as things are at the moment, and long for this nightmare to be over-so we can get our lives back. I can't imagine how I would cope if it didn't work, or if I got a BFP and had another miscarriage.

Anyway, best of luck, and hopefully we will keep each other going through these tough times.

JCB x
  • Options
    Hi JCB - It's the waiting that's the killer isn't it?! You'd think after so long and so many 2WW's we'd be better at it but I swear I'm getting worse! I must say I too have worries about the whole process. I've never had a BFP and feel as if there are so many hurdles to get there and then the worries that it still might not work out. I'm really sorry to hear about your MC - I honestly can't imagine how hard that must be.

So girls, how old are you (if you don't mind me asking) and what sort of stage are you at? I'm 36 and hb is 6 years younger. We've been ttc 2 years and so far, apart from the slightly raised FSH in my last test, they've not found anything wrong. Also, do you know if you'll be on long or short protocol IVF? Because of the FSH we've been told we'll be on short protocol. Don't know entirely what that means, except that the treatment is shorter because they don't shut your body down to such a degree. Not sure if it's as effective though?

Sorry for all the ques, but just lovely to 'chat' to people who are at the same sort of stage and having the same sort of appointments, etc.

xxx
  • Options
    Hi Daisy Girl

Don't mind the questions-it's nice to get a bit of background info! I'm 29, hubby is 35. Been TTC for 18 months, got seen at infertility clinic after 1 year (I pushed GP to refer!!!). They always say how much time you've got-if only they knew, they've probably got 3 kids without even trying!
    I think our problem is mostly unexplained infertility, although slight male factor from tests. We are doing the standard protocol, I think-I didn't know there was more than 1! I have to call when July AF starts, so we probably won't know if it's worked until well into September, if cycles stay the same sort of length.
    It seems so long away, and I hate what this has done to us. I feel like I've turned into a horrible person, and we argue a lot now. Anyway, I hope we all get our BFPs before we have to endure what I'm sure will be incredible stressful. I am 10DPO and caved last night and POAS-BFN as expected!!!

• Options
    Hi Daisy Girl
    I know what you mean, I always like to know what age people are/their situation etc. I am 29 and DH is 34. As JCB says, I too get annoyed when people (including the doctors) say to me 'oh but you're still young...' - It's infuriating - yes, it means in theory I have a few more years of TTCing time, but I have learned the hard way that there are no guarantees on that front. And they don't seem to take into account the fact that I have always wanted children young. I would love to be a mummy in my twenties , and we're both in a good position to be parents at this stage of our lives or younger, and i guess had always imagined it that way. I think docs presume I have had some high flying career goals that I've put first, but no, I have always been conscious of wanting a baby...
    xx