Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

hi, very new to forum and looking for help/advice...

i'm 27 female and recently discovered i have pcos me and my fella have been trying to concieve for 2 years, no success obviously which led us to consult doc.... anyway various tests later we discovered the problem lies with me although i do have a 6 year old little boy i now cannot concieve baby number two.. i have another docs appointment on monday and was wondering whether anybody has been through this also or is going through it... any advice would be most helpful and gratefully recieved many thanks.

Replies

• hey, not too sure as i've just started the testing process myself but pcos is easily helped with medication! they may do other tests just to check that is the only cause but just wanted to reassure you that there is help! xx
  • thank you for reply and reassurance, from wat i gather its quite a common problem but i have a couple of friends who have concieved with pcos so i'm very hopeful.. image , i really hope the doc's can help as i've read some real horror stories!! but i'm lucky as i do have a nice doctor who has carried out all the tests me and partner had trying to figure out why we could't concieve, so fingers crossed... one of my friends actually recommended this website to me as it really helped her cope with pnd when she felt she couldn't talk to anybody else. xx
  • Hi Ragdoll,

Me too- not had pcos confirmed yet, but Consultant says I def have cysts and Nurse says they assume it pcos if overweight with conception probs.

Almost 2 years for us now ;-(, but we still have lots of hope and know that our family will be most loved and wanted because of the wait! I'm 32, though, so my biological clock does tick at me very loudly!

Everyone seems to have a slightly different journey, so feel free to share yours, as its interesting to hear and I like to vent all about mine!

xxx
  • hi windymiller,
    thank u, i'm sure i will need to vent too... its taken about 6 months to click that pcos is most likely cause of problems... soooo many tests and OH had the usual tests too.. it def puts a bit of strain on a relationship, i keep reminding myself i have a gorgeous family (OH and my 6yr old little boy)who are my absolute world but.... even at 27 my biological clock is a little deafening at times!!! ha ha, everything just makes sense now i had the 21 day blood test for progestrone(not sure if correct spelling) and it was low when i should of been ovulating... spots omg i look like a 13 yr old starting puberty!! weight very hard to shift... i have a family history of diabetes although so far i'm lucky enough not to have it myself.. i had my thyroid checked and it was fine although pcos can show similarities to thyroid problem .. although i have regular periods they are V heavy and i feel completely drained.. occasional shooting pains in lower abdomen too.. not nice!.... sorry i do tend to ramble on... feel free to ramble back.. look forward to speaking again. xx:javascript:void(0)\)
  • Hi Ragdoll...

Venting! One of my favourite things at the mo! (Although, sometimes its just an excuse to bitch while feeling like I'm not being a bitch!-see my post "GP's/Clinics are driving me mad!")

So, have you had all your tests done throught the Dr, then, not referred to gynae or Fertility clinic?

From what I've read on here, I think my Dr must have actually been pretty lazy, as he said there's no point in doing all the routine fertility tests, as my cycles were so irregular (when really, they aren't, they've just got a bit longer gradually in the last couple of years.) My DH's Dr just followed suit and referred him, so nothing had been done when we had our first fertility appt.

As for symptoms of pcos, thats something that flummoxes me a bit. I am overweight, I've found it hard to shift, but I'm pretty sure thats because I eat too much! I don't have acne, I don't have excessive hair growth. My periods were regular until we started ttc (literally, they got longer every cycle, almost as if my body was trying to get my hopes up, then dash them deliberately!) I've heard that pcos is different to just having polycystic ovaries abd that there are varying severity of pcos. I've got a second appt with the gynacologists in November, so I expect I'll get some answers then.

I was dicussing this with my boss, who had years of problems, had one natural baby and one ivf, and we thought that just due to the longer cycles, the fertile window is just harder to catch and that could account for an awful lot of our infertility. I'm hoping they'll put me on clomid, so at least it will regulate my cycles (I think thats what it does!) and we'll def know when I ovulate.

Whoah, you said ramble.....not sure you meant that much!
  • hey Windymiller sorry for delay in posting back, i had my doc's appt yesterday and he had refferred me for a scan at my local hospital... i got my actual results of 21 day progestrone test the level was 5.7 which looking online is very low... (although i knew it was low) all the signs point to pcos or polycystic ovaries, its lovely to be able to chat to people with similar problems or just to chat about whats troubling you, anytime u need to vent (or bitch) i will always chat to u, i am a little scared of going for the scan but am hoping for some answers too, its getting harder as it seems everyday somebody else i know is pregnant... and although i am incredibly happy for them but can't help feeling a little blue as i long for another baby... image i hope things are progressing for u we have to have hope and i'm certain we will both be announcing our very own pregnancies soooooon... sending baby dust ur way... xx
  • Hi Ragdoll,

I like your positivity at the end of that message! I'm due af tomorrow, so here's hoping- I have to say, I'm not feeling very pre-menstrual, but that could just mean I'm due a longer cycle-thats not unusual for me.

I read your post about progesterone. I really think I'm startig to anlalyze all this endocrinology stuff too much- I'm a vetnurse, so I have some knowledge and they say that some knowledge is often a dangerous thing!!

But.....From what I understand, the follicle that produces the egg, produces progesterone once the egg is released. This prepares the lining of the womb for pregnancy. If fertilisation occurs, the corpus luteum (remains of the follicle) produce more progesterone to maintain the pregnancy.

I THINK that if pcos sufferers do not ovulate, or don't ovulate properly, this would prevent the corpus luteum from forming properly too. So would not produce sufficient progesterone. I think I'm WAY over my head here, but thats my thoughts on it.

I had the scan of my ovaries, and it really isn't that bad. I had a "tidy up" down there, just so I wasn't conscious of it. Then two days afterwards, I realised I hadn't even shaved my legs- what must the poor consultant have thought?! Anyway, you get a probe (sorry tmi) about the size of a long, thin penis! put in your vagina and they view your ovaries that way. Its not painful at all. I thought it was quite interesting seeing my ovaries. The dark areas are fluid-filled on Ultrasound, so that is what you can see.

I have to admit, a small part of me was hoping he'd say "ooo, look, you're actually 3 weeks pregnant No luck.

Good luck with yours xx
  • lol... your explaination actually helped soooo much more than any on the net(that just confused me further!!) i think i have to stay positive otherwise i'd go crazy!! i've had 3 people i know announce they are pregnant in the last month!! and i have a sis-in-law who is due any day now! thanks for the insight into scan too, my OH is coming with me so i'm hoping they will allow him in the room, i know what u mean about the 'tidy up' its bad enough having to go but bein self concious too it would be impossible to relax(if u get my meaning!) how long did ur appointment take to come through as i'm in limbo as to whther it will be weeks/months?? it must be a shock for the woman who get told.. oh u are pregnant.. sorry it wasn't the case for u, i'm trying not to think it at all(its very hard tho..) thank u, i'll post as soon as i know appt date etc, and obviously after.. really hope it gives us some answers, i had my AF just under 2 weeks ago so should be ovulating this week(according to ovulation calanders.. and if my body decides too which i doubt) and thanks for chatting with me too, Good luck and lots and lots of baby dust ur way.. xx
  • Hi Ragdoll,
    Just a quickie to answer some of your questions- my hubby was allowed in and sat next to me. We arranged our ultrasound appt at our first fertility clinic. It was a few weeks later,so not a long wait. Have lots of baby-dancing fun, since your ovulating!! Lots of sticky-baby-dust!

Windy xx
  • hey Windy,
    thanks for the reply... i have a little news of my own... u may have seen my other post reguarding ovulation kits etc.. well i bought one yesterday(clearblue digital) brilliant and done the best this morning and I'M OVULATING!!!! all on my own i'm sooooo pleased as i didnt think(with tests to back it up) i could or was.. im so happy so ive now got my fingers crossed for a BFP soooon, i hope things are going well for you if u ever need to chat i would gladly be here to listen.... wishing u luck and lots of sticky baby dust too... Ragdoll xx