Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What can they do for abnormal semen analysis result?

My husband has just got his SA results back and they are abnormal- he's going to his GP to discuss exactly what the results are tomorrow. I'm due to start Clomid next month- PCO and clear tubes- but will they still give me the Clomid? I know there are lifestyle factors that can improve sperm quality, but are there drugs or anything else that can help?

(Hubby did make a bit of a mistake in using lube when he wasn't supposed to when he produced his sample- so we know that might have caused the result. Just preparing for the worst. He's doing another SA next week to check again).
Thanks xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Kittenmitten, as SF says the lube may have affected the results so try not to worry just yet. Also possible to get a one-off bad result. If you have a look at my other topics some time back I posted a list of 'sperm tips'. There aren't any drugs to help sperm and if there is a problem then the only treatment available is IVF with ICSI (where sperm is injected directky into the egg)......but that's a long way off yet.
    My DH has high no of abnormal sperm that don't swim very well and I'm now pg from IVF/ICSI.
    Lots of luck xx
  • Options
    Hi kitten mitten, try not to worry just yet- the second sample could be completely different from the first (our's was-although still too low to conceive naturally!!). My OH's morphology did improve back to normal levels though and I'm convinced it was because I made him start taking a multivitamin... he's on Wellman which has got everything in it that is needed to produce good swimmers. I also get him to eat brazil nuts as they have selenium in which is meant to be good also. My acupuncturist also said that acupuncture is meant to be help but it just depends if you can convince your OH (I couldn't get mine anywhere near the place!). Try not to fret too much, I know it's difficult though- and remember you only need one- there are LOADS of stories of women who thought they could never conceive due to sperm issues and then did so...and TBD is right, there's always the IVF/ICSI route. xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'm trying to stay calm about it all. OH is starting to worry which makes it hard, as up til now I've been the only one with something wrong so it's felt like only my problem.Although he has been so supportive (don't know if that makes sense!) I'll definitely get some Wellman vits and brazil nuts for him.
    TBD congrats, I'm so pleased for you and your story gives me hope! xx
  • Options
    Kittenmitten, hope you're managing to keep calm about it all. As Maddy says there are lots of stories of women on here who have concieved naturally despite being told they never would. I think it just depends how patient you are willing to be and whether you get lucky. My cons said if we kept trying, eventually we may well fall pg, but I am just too impaitnet and it was destroying me so we went down the IVF route, but I remain hopeful that in the future we may have a child naturally as well now I know that his sperm and my eggs CAN produce embryos.
    xxx
  • Options
    DH is back at the docs now as he's just got blood tests back and they've shown high prolactin levels in the abnormal range. Apparently there are drugs that can treat this? He's going to book in another SA because of the dodgy result last time. Up until now he hasn't been worried but now he is, and that's horrible! :\(
  • Options
    Sorry to read this kittenmittens.
    I don't know anything about prolactin levels or their impact on ttc so I am sorry, I can't hel with that,
    My DH had an abnormal first SA with v low motility but his second SA a few months later showed a 15% improvement in motility and was described as ???????essentially normal???????. Our consultant was very happy with his second sample and said that he often sees very different first and second sample so keep the PMA up!!
    xxxx
  • Options
    Try not to worry too much. My DH has just got his results for his second SA after the first ones were to quote the doc "particularly poor".

But the second results he got were fine, he didn't do anything different. He thought maybe the stress of it all bothered him the first time round (tmi) he said his sample wasn't the usual amount! Bless I think they get really bothered!

Chin up, these things are sent to try us.

I felt the same about feeling like I was the only one with something wrong. You feel like they are your rock don't you

Can't advise on the high prolactin but hopefully the docs can sort this

Let us know how you get on

xx
  • Options
    Hubby just got back from the GP- late night appointment- and he's been referred to an endocrinologist, 3 weeks' time so not long. Apparently there are drugs that can help, so hopefully he'll be prescribed something.
    I appreciate the info about SAs being inconsistent, hope the second one is better! x
  • Options
    Hi me and my partner have been trying for 2 year with one mc at tge begining, hes sa came back twice as a bad count, and i am currently on my 3rd cycle of clomid but i feel its not the right step for us and that we should get tge more analysed sa whilst in this process to save time please help xx