Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Conceiving at 37

Hi Ladies, I have just started trying for a baby at 37, well, I will be 38 in March next year. I thought that I became pregnant the first time trying as I felt so nauseous before my period. Must have been my imagination as Disappointingly af showed up this morning. I would like to hear from those of you who are in a similar situation. It’d be good to have some support.

Replies

• Hi @Yulia82
    its disappointing when af shows isn’t it :( 
    I am 36 and we have been trying since last summer. In that time I have fallen twice but both ended very early. 
    I have had blood tests done twice but apparently they were normal. Well one hormone was high but has come down. Waiting for semen analysis for hubby in December. 
    I’ve started bbt and we are using preseed now x
  • Hi @SmithL35,

Nice to hear from you and thank you for sharing your experiences. 
    We are going to start using preseed this month too, the tube is waiting on my nightstand! I promised myself that I’ll just take it easy and won’t sign- spot, hopefully will stick to that. 
    Good luck, hopefully this month it will happen x 
  • Yes the sign spotting is hard not to do when it’s your body. 
    There are people on here who have been lucky and conceived the first month they’ve used preseed but that doesn’t happen every time. Try not to be disappointed if it doesn’t for you the first month, I didn’t get me. It’s easy to build hopes up on others peoples experiences and then feel down if it doesn’t then happen. 
    Im on CD12 today and have been using cheapie ovulation sticks to try and work out when to the use my clear blue ones. Last month I start testing CD 13 but I think it wasn’t until CD25 I actually ovulated. X

• @Yulia82 I am 37, turning 38 in January (how did I get so old).  We were TTC from January this year but it wasn't until I joined this forum and started to learn more that we were luck enough to get pregnant (currently 11 weeks gone).

What I would say is try not to over think symptoms, they really mess with your head and cause the crash when AF comes to hit you like a tonne of bricks and the symptoms of PMT and Pregnancy are very similar. 

Are you using BBT or OPK?  When we first started I was going by what apps told me, I had a 25/26 day cycle and it was telling me that I was ovulating about CD 13 each month.  Once I started BBT (with the help of the girls on the TTC group chat) I found out that I actually ovulated around CD 10/11 so each month it looks like I might have been missing the ovulation and setting myself up for more disappointment without even realising it.

@SmithL35 hopefully you don't have to wait until CD 25 but if you do I wish you all the luck this month for a sticky bean.

Baby dust to you both.
  • Hi, my hubby and I started trying in August last year. We’d both had children in previous marriages and didn’t think there would be an issue. I was 36 when we started trying , month after month we had massive disappointment and it really took a toll on our marriage as neither of us could see why we weren’t being successful. We gave up trying in April this year and decided to stop worrying, that all the stress can’t have been helping. I fell pregnant immediately in April and it was a huge happy shock and I’m now 31 weeks. All I can say is try not to let it rule your
    life as I truly believe the stress really contributes!
    good luck xxx
  • Hi @Geriatricmumtbank you for your story....and massive congratulations!!! :) 
    It’s great to hear that it does just happen! 

@Chellefish I got my peak ovulation day yesterday which is CD18 so going on my temp I’ll ovulate tomorrow. Although when I read posts like that from @Geriatricmum I do wonder whether I should just stop with the sticks, temp etc and just let it happen!! x