Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

IVF Consultation today - not sure how to feel :\?

Well, what a day! Not sure what I expected, but we had an appointment today to talk through our upcoming IVF now that both IUI cycles have failed. It was a real mixed bag and I don't know whether to feel good or bad about it all. The nurse was absolutely brilliant. We've got to know her through the IUI and she spent a good hour with us explaining really thoroughly how everything will work. All was going well until we got to my FSH result. We knew my last test was a little high (11) but had been told we'd be treated as long as it was 14 or below. Turns out that's just for IUI, for IVF you need to be 10 or below. I was a little dumbstruck when I found this out! I've already been through lots of worrying and tears about the FSH and had thought I'd got my head around it all but to know we might not be able to get any IVF treatment if it doesn't go down was a blow.

On the up side the nurse said that FSH levels do really vary and that it was more likely than not that my next result would be lower. If it's not, they'll test me for a good few months and if at any point it dips they'll treat us (though if it goes over 14/15 we're out completely and they won't treat at all). The really good news is that the *lovely* nurse said that I could have my first blood test at the start of my next cycle, which is in two weeks and if the FSH was ok we'd have the IVF that cycle!!!! I'll be on short protocol because of the higher FSH so if it all goes well I'd be having the embryo transfer around 4 weeks today!!! In a month I could be pregnant!!!!

And this is my big problem! Do I let myself get excited and mentally prepared for the fact that we might be starting IVF in 2 weeks time (!!!!!) or do I try and remain calm and realistic in case my FSH is no good (or worse has got really high) so that I'm not too gutted?

Sorry for the long rambling one girls, just feeling a bit waaaaahhhh tonight! So, so pleased we had our holiday away because I think if we hadn't I'd have dissolved into a puddle on the floor having had the FSH news! I'm actually still feeling pretty positive and I know we have options even if the FSH monster does get me, but any PMA, babydust and good wishes you have spare would be very much appreciated at the mo!

xxx

Replies

• Hi hun I think to be honest even if we all tell you and you tell yourself not to get too excited you will anyway because lets face it this is a massive deal and as you say you could be pregnant in 4 weeks.

If it was me I would have wet myself several times already with excitement so I think you should try and enjoy the feelings of hope. In this forum we tend to beat ourselves up about being positive as if after so many months its just naive to believe anymore.

PMA all the way - you'll get that FSH level down. We are due another BFP on LTTTC so why shouldn't that be you my love? x
  • Smileychops you are lovely! And quite right too, what's the use of my lovely holiday and being all chilled out and relaxed if it doesn't lead to a good dose of PMA! And if I don't get my FSH down in a couple of weeks they'll still give me another few goes, so fingers and toes crossed. It all feels a bit surreal at the moment, hadn't quite realised everything that was involved and a bit sad that our clinic will only put back one embryo as we were hoping for two, but so pleased at how fast it's all going, just want to get on with it now!!

• My god i don't know how i'd stop myself getting exctied about the prospect of being PG in 4 weeks!?

That being said i was work on the worse scenario so that i'm prepared for the worse and if its better than its even more fantastic.

Its good news that they'll keep testin you as 11 is hardly much over and as she said FSH can change from testing to testing so i'll have everything crossed that its down in 2 weeks time (i'll even ask the babies so thats 6 fingers and 6 toe crosses!!)

I'm sure this is your final step hun and you'll be joining me in 4 short weeks!!!

lilac*
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • aw chick really excited for you and I'd prob be online looking at prams by now LOL!!!

Understand too re not getting too excited but will e hoping upon hope for you that FSH will come back max at 9 and potential minis DG's will be produced, really really hope chick that it isthisround for you, yo more than deserve it I have everything crossed fo you mwah mwah and have some PMA too xx
  • AH hun thats really exciting. If i was you i would secretly be excited but try and remain realistic. fingers crossed xxxxxx
  • I have to say I agree with all the others. Like you say you really could be pg in 4 weeks, you could have a baby in your arms in 9 months and I know I am not helping you here but seriously, I would be running laps of the garden! It is a big step forward. Good luck, let us know how you get on xx
  • Thank you girls and let's be honest, who am I kidding, I think it's going to be impossible not to get excited!! I think a healthy does of PMA is a good thing too, so going to be realistic but optimistic too.

Why is it that this sort of waiting is the worst?! After over 2 years I only have to wait a week and a half and we may be on to treatment and yet everything is draaaaaaaaing already! Just want to know if we will be able to go ahead. Grrrrrrrr.

On the note of FSH, does anyone know of anything that has been seen to reduce levels? I asked at the clinic and the nurse said there really wasn't anything but I've read that acupunture (which I'm doing) can help. If there's anything else, even if it's not confirmed, I'm willing to try! Also any higher FSH good news stories welcome too!

• Hello Daisy Girl....I'm afraid that I can't offer you any advice with regards to your FSH and lowering the levels....but I think that you are doing the right thing having acupuncture, it is meant to be fantastic.
    I am thinking about having it done to help me get my BFP. My best friend is currently having IVF and goes on weds to see how many eggs she will have to be collected. She is so so nervous....and is also having acupuncture. She had IVF before, 3 years ago...and it resulted in her gorgeous DD image)))) she was also having acupuncture then. She really rates it and says that if nothing else it helps her relax.
    I am sorry again that I can't offer you anymore advice but I just wanted to wish you good luck and let you know that I am thinking of you x