Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Had my HSG

HI ladies
I wanted to post to let you know that I had my HSG yesterday and , despite a lot of tears before hand (I was terrified!!), it went as well as it could have done. The doctor and nurses were really brilliant and totally explained everything step by step before I was even on the examining table. One lovely nurse even held my hand during part of the procedure when it was uncomfortable.

I wanted to post because I have been frantically looking for HSG advice and other people's experinces over the last few weeks (a big thanks to those who helped me here, i really appreciated it) and I had come accross so many horror stories on the internet about it being really painful - so I hope this brings some reassurabce to any of you due to have one. It was uncomfortable, but NO WHERE NEAR as bad as i had feared. I took 2 neurofen about an hour before and i didn't need any painkilers afterewards.

The good news was my tubes were all clear, so it was worth it definately. It gave me a little burst of PMA in the long road of TTC...
xx

Replies

• Congratulations on being a healthy lady!

I had everything checked out inc a laposcopy not long ago and all was ok. Isnt it a wonderful feeling! i am much happier knowing theres nothing drastically wrong found! I am now doing everything to concieve and cleared the library out of books yesterday! Good luck, glad everything is ok with you.

Han x
  • Mrs Bambino-really glad your tubes are clear and that it wasn't painful for you. PMA all the way x

Claire-ski -I'm sure your HSG will be ok so don't worry. Mine was more painful than I thought it would be but didn't last long and to know that my tubes were ok was sooooooo much more important than any pain, i'd do it again tomorrow. x
  • Really pleased that your tubes are clear.xxx
  • thanks very much ladies. Yes, as you say, it is a good feeling to know things are clear on that front.

Claire-ski: I can totally empathise. Honestly, I feel really strongly if I was able to get through yesterday anyone can, lol. When I say I was terrified, I really mean it. DH and I were awake half the night before hand 'cos I got myself in such a state! I literally burst into tears in front of the nurse as soon as she led me away from the waiting room and into the wee changing room to put on the green gown. Bless her, she was so nice and got me a tissue and a wee hug!

For me (and I don't know how much help this will be as we all deal with these things differently I guess), I found it really helped to actually tell the doc and nurses how scared and apprehensive I was feeling. As soon as I got into the room where they did the HSG I told them in no uncertain terms that I was terrified and very nervous. I think I was very fortunate that they were so nice, a lot of that is down to personality, granted, but I also think explaining to them how you feel makes you feel a bit more in control of the situation.

Claire-ski, the other thing I found useful was I asked the doc beforehand if she would mind talking me through it as she was doing the various bits and bobs (eg, "speculum about to go in, that's the tubes going in now, that's me getting ready to inject the dye...." etc etc) . I know it probably sounds like I was a right little madam (I promise I am not!) but I found it helped me get through the uncomfortable bits knowing what stage we were at and knowing that say when the dye was going in that was us almost done and only a few more seconds to go. A couple of times I asked her "how long to go with this bit?'' and she would say things like "That's us almost finished, about 10 more seconds" and honestly I could have kissed her afterwards because I'm sure that really helped me see the finishing line!

For me the worst bit was the actual speculum thing being inserted - but to be honest that bit is very like how a smear test feels and once it's in you sort of get used to it. I found it just felt a bit 'scratchy' for want of a better word. I found when they insert the thin tube (which the dye gets squirted thru) it felt exactly like the feeling I get in my lower back on the first day of my period...like a dull dragging feeling? With my actual period this feeling lasts all day, so having it for a few minutes wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought. When they squirt the dye through it just felt a bit cold but I didn't feel it sore as such. Not a nice sensation, but no sharp pain or anything.

I hope none of this comes across as smug as I know some ladies have had a terrible time with their HSG, but I really just want to reassure those who have one planned that it can be ok and if a total scaredy cat like me can do it...!! xx
  • Claire ski - I think I posted before on an HSG thread. Mine was just like bad period pain. Sat down for a cuppa and biscuit afterwards for half an hour. Then went back to work. Didn;t go out that night but I think I was quite tired...
    I wish you all the best - its over faster than I thought it would be as well
  • Sorry to sound daft but what is an HSG? Assume it is checking for blockages or something? Does every one who gets referred to hos ave to get this done?
  • Thank you so much for posting this. Following an appointment at the hospital on Thursday, I too need to book for this within the next 10 days. I have been looking for info on it, and am getting very nervous. Just the usual smear hurts me, I'm such a wimp though. OH is having another SA, so hopefully we will be one step closer to finding out what's wrong.

• hi moonbeam,
    an HSG is a hysterosalpingogram (what a mouthful!). No, not everyone has to have it but it is sometimes used as part of the process of investigating how the fallopian tubes look and , as you say, checking for any blockages or abnormalities, that sort of thing. Don't worry, you don't sound daft - until farly recently I wouldnt have had a clue what it was!! xx
  • glad it helped Grace9 - good luck with yours - hope it all goes well! x
  • Thanks for that!!! Glad that it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be too and that all came back well. xx
  • thanks moonbeam! x
  • Great news that your tubes are clear and thanks for talking about your experience. It really does help others to know what's involved with these things (and that they are not as bad as perhaps we fear).

Good luck now with the next step x
  • Hi all
    I had my HSG this afternoon. It certainly helped me prepare reading all your posts. I was actually surprised - it was not as bad as I was expecting. I too took pain relief an hour before, so not sure if it helped. I didn't feel the tube much at all - and I didn't bleed that much after... or is that to come tomorrow?! So if anyone is reading this, and has to have this procedure, please don't worry about it.

oh - and the good news is - my tubes are fine!!

It looks like IUI is next on the cards for us...
  • that's great it all went well Grace9 - hopefully this thread will help lots of people! I didn't bleed at all the next day - in fact i think i only had a teeny weeny spot of blood imediately afterwards, but hardly noticeable. Saying that, my AF arrived today (first post HSG AF) and it feels heavier than usual (sorry TMI) so i reckon that must be to do with the HSG. xx