Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Scarring after ERPC & Bicornuate/Septum Uterus

Hi ladies,
I went for an HSG last week and have really bad news.
Not only do I have either a bicornuate uterus or a septum uterus (only a laparoscopy would define for sure) but I have also got extensive scarring to the lower two thirds of my uterus from the ERPC that I had back in February for my mmc.
The gynae said that the scarring would prevent a foetus from implanting in that part of the uterus.
I have been given the option to have a laparoscopy (to check out the bicornuate/septum uterus) and if its a septum to have surgery to 'split' it, which would involve having 2 coils inserted and hormone treatment for a month. Also to have a hysteroscopy to have surgery to 'smooth' out the scarring that the consultant did during the ERPC.
As you can imagine I am feeling extremely low and shocked about what has happened. I'm also angry that I had not been told that an ERPC can cause scarring if the consultant removes too much tissue.
Has anyone else had scarring from an ERPC or D&C and had surgery to smooth it?
I fear that more surgery may cause more scarring.
I suppose it goes someway to explain why I haven't managed to get pregnant over the last six months (despite having fallend pregnant very quickly twice before).
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Koi

Replies

• Hi sweetie I'm afraid I dont have any advice for you as I have not had this surgery done but just wanted to send u hugs. You're right, it's shocking that they did not give you more information about the possible scarring, they just assume everyone knows everything already! Just take the time to decide which of the options you want to go for and which is best for you. Sorry I cant be of more help hun .XXX
  • hey hun, am SO sorry you've had to go through this it's just awful for you. i don't htink they outline the dangers enough but then how often does this happen to someone? i guess there's a risk for every op or procedure... i haven't looked into it. would the surgery be worth ago if its unlikey to happen atm anyway? either way ((((hugs))) and good luck xx
  • 30% of the time, Rocky, according to some research (figures vary between 16-40%!!!!!!)
    Koi, have sent lengthy reply on TTC after MC post. Please email me if you have any questions at all. Hugs xxx
  • Koi, I'm really sorry that you are going through this. As someone who's had an ERPC, it's very worrying that this happens and is not made very clear (well, the risks weren't made clear to me anyway).
    Good luck x x x