Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Getting fit

I have decided that even though i am not over weight ( i would say i am perfect at just under 8stone) that i need to join a gym to get fit to help with TTC and my fertility. I dont want to lose weight i just want to be fit to help get pg and to help my body with pg when it happens. OH thinks it might not be the best idea but i am only doing a little bit just to get fit. He is worried i will get obsessed and not know when to stop even if i lose wieght. Am i being silly or is getting fit a good idea? XX

Replies

• Getting fit is a great idea and if you strengthen your bones abs and muscles it will really help with labour. Why does he think you will get obsessed, are you the obsessive type? I go to the gym several times a week and do body pump classes it really makes me happy and distracts me from this xx
  • I would always advocate keeping fit and good health. There are many reasons to join a gym, not just to lose weight, and I think you are sensible for wanting to do this. Keeping fit will not only help with pg and labour, but will ward off heart disease, stroke and generally make you feel happy.

When you join you will have an induction with a trainer and the best thing for you to do is to explain to your trainer exactly what you want (i.e. to tone up, keep fit but not necessarily to lose weight) and they will tailor a programme for you to meet your targets. With the right programme you will burn fat and tone up your muscles without weight loss, so your OH needn't worry about that.

As socks says, it is also a great distraction x
  • Hey couts, I agree with the others...it sounds like a good idea to me. I am the same as you, on the slim side, but would like to be fitter. Haven't quite got round to actually doing anything about it yet though! Good on you I say. It can't do any harm as long as it remains balanced and not too intensive. As socks says, why does your OH think you'll get obsessed? xx
  • Hey ladies thatnk you for all the lovely comments and sorry its been so long getting back online. I have been joined at the gym for a week and half now and have been a good few times and i am loving it!! Not pushing myself but enough to get fit. When i 1st met OH many years ago i was extremely skinny and he is worried i would get back to that again and stop all chances of BFP. It is a welcome distraction from all TTC subjects and the fact i am CD59 ish i think and still no sing of AF. Dont know about OV as i stopped testing that a while ago due to me getting tested for PCOS. Thaks again ladies and i hope you are all well. XX
  • Ahh glad to hear you're enjoying the gym! Even if it doesn't help bring AF on (I'm not sure if it does or not??) trying to stay fit and healthy is a very positive step.

Does anyone know if you should drop the intensity of exercise a notch when TTC? I'm in the 2ww but still working out as I normally would.
  • Hey couts, great you're feeling good about it all. Don't want to worry you or anything but are you still v skinny? Being underweight can cause you to stop ovulating (and therefore no periods). If so it may be worth speaking to your GP to get some blood tests to check if your weight is having any negative effect? Sorry if this seems bossy, I just figure it's something that could be solved but exercise may not help if you actually need to put on weight?? xxx
  • good luck with getting fit! x
  • couts, tbd is right, hadn't thought of that xx twinkle star, exercise during ttc will have no negative affect on getting pg. Once you are pg you will have to watch the abs workouts and probably reduce running but you can still get a great cardio workout from x trainer xx
  • Thanks socks, if I couldn't work out for 9 months I'd go mental - not to mention pile on the weight, in the wrong way!

• Thanks for all the support ladies im not v skinny now and have a good BMI says my local nurse so that is good. Just being fit is helping take my mind off everything and helping me relax. As for testing both OH and i are in the middle of getting tests done as we speek so justy waiting for all the results. As for AF still no sign and i am CD64 today so not sure what is going on anymore. Hope you are all well. XX
  • I know what you mean about the exercise taking your mind off things. I would absolutely go insane if I didn't have the gym and my body pump classes! xx