Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Day 3 Bloods

Day 3 Fertility Testing Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)

This is one of the only blood test i haven't had done... and now i've been referred for ivf i was wondering if i can have the blood test through my GP or can it only be done at the hospital?? I'm being my impatient self... and just want to find out now rather than waiting....

Just wondering where everyone else had there tests done...

Actually its CD3 today, lol... so, will have to wait till next cycle to get it done!! Also, does it have to be done ond CD3 (for my next cycle my CD3 is on a Sunday - typical)

Thanks ladies :\)

Replies

• Hey Boo I don't have any experience of what you are going through but didn't want to R&R and let you think I wasn't interested so just wanted to say I wish you the best of luck with the IVF - what a massive step to take but a really exciting one.

I just found out my friend who has been trying for years to conceive got her BFP yesterday through IVF so hope you will be next. Do you know how long you have got to wait?

xx
  • mmmmmmmmm can't see why your doc wouldn't be bale to do it... logically they send bloods off to the hos any way so whats the difference in them doing it and sending it and the hos doing it and sending it to the lab????

Re tests, as you know I'm behind you but over hear the only test completed by the GP is 21 bloods all my others are done in the hos

Good luck and let me know if the gp got you referred ok x
  • mmmmmmmmm can't see why your doc wouldn't be bale to do it... logically they send bloods off to the hos any way so whats the difference in them doing it and sending it and the hos doing it and sending it to the lab????

Re tests, as you know I'm behind you but over hear the only test completed by the GP is 21 bloods all my others are done in the hos

Good luck and let me know if the gp got you referred ok x
  • Thanks ladies... its a test for your egg quality (or something like that!)... don't think i have ever had it done and didn't want to bother the GP again.. But thanks for your reply. I'll sort out an appt to get to ask them.

She should be doing the referral today. If i don't hear from the clinic within a few weeks i can call her secretary to check the progress - no doubt ill be calling the clinic next week lol... (eager beaver!!) xx
  • Hi hun,

Are you sure you've not had it done? I thought it was done as part of that standard package of day 3 tests so maybe it was done at some point but was normal so they never mentioned it. Maybe it's worth checking with your gp.

• Hey baby b, how is the pregnancy going?

I keep thinking they must have checked before!! but i can't remember ever being ask to go in on a set day to get tested, only the 21 day bloods..
    I remember the recurrent miscarriage clinic doing TONS of blood tests but this was nearly 3yrs ago when we started ttc...
    oh, im so confused!! do i just wait to ask at my Cons appt in March?! I guess they wouldn't advice me to go for ivf if they knew my egg quality wasn't good...
    Just that i started my periods when i was 8, so just keep wondering; although im nearly 25... the eggs would be nearing the age of someone 30 (i would guess!)

:lol: im waffling on now... don't mind me ladies ha ha... xx
  • Hey boo

I didn't have day 3 FSH measured at all - not at the IVF clinic either
    It does measure how close you are to the menopause as day 3 fsh level increases as you get closer to menopause. I am really not sure whether it estimated egg quality

I started my periods very early too but despite my age we were told that my ovaries had responded to the FSH as if they were younger than my age of 39.
    Maybe ask for the test or see if the ivf unit thinks it is useful as some but clearly not all use it as a criteria
    I didn't ask as 40 this year and didn't want to be excluded
    XX
  • Hi Boo,
    I never had day 3 bloods done when i had the main IVF course in September... I did have to have some kind of bloods done which had to be between day 2-5 not sure what these were though!!
    I didn't think it mattered how old you were when you started periods for egg quality?? girls are born with all their eggs so I assumed it only went on age as your eggs are as old as you are generally?? I might be wrong but seem to think i read that somewhere!! Good Luck with the treatment! It's not as bad as people lead you to believe its just the torture of waiting and being bloated from drugs that is annoying!! All worth it i'm sure when the elusive BFP appears!!
    xx
  • Thanks MrsL and JJ... was previously about to start IVF but i was horrified at the thought. Can honestly say coming on here and hearing all your stories has made want to start the process...
    xx
  • I can understand what you mean at being horrified at the thought!
    One of my first boyfriends told me he would only ever have kids through IVF as he had cancer and had to have sperm frozen and this frightened the life out of me! anyways... 4 yrs later here I am married to a man who also has male factor infertility!! Because I knew early on and knew it was the only option we never went through the whole trying for years only to find there was a problem... we just decided when to start IVF so in some ways I feel I have (so far) had it easier than most. Obviously there is nothing to say we wont have to have 3 or 4 gos but I think once you have made the decision to go for it, it's almost like running a marathon and being able to see the finish line!!! The last mile might be a bit of hard work but eventually you get there!
    xx
  • I wholeheartedly agree even though we have had a rough ride with complications they were not too bad.
    Perhaps next time I would arrange some massage or accupuncture to disseminate stress. However most of that was generated by the hyperstim. Hey having loads of follicles is good though it means you get loads of chances. Hence we have a blastocyst in the freezer.
    I will know in my old age that we tried every avenue and if we are not sucessful that will comfort me eventually.
    I think it is useful to discuss with OH where you will draw the line so the treatments don't take over or agree to space them
    Good luck hon age is soo on your side your eggs should be fab
    X
  • Hi Boo

I too thought that the day 3 test was part of the standard package of stuff they did first off. I definitely had a day 3 test at the GPs about a year ago and just had to have another one a couple of weeks ago at the point we were referred to the fertility clinic to start treatment. They told us then that I could have it done at the GPs and that results would be sent on but advised us to have it done at the hospital to avoid any delays / dangers of results getting lost.

HTH.

x

P.S. What MrsLizzieK says re your eggs being the same age as you sounds pretty logical, so I'm sure nothing to worry about.

P.P.S. 8 image:\)
  • Hi

I had this test done as part of a set of bloods requested by the fertility clinic, to be done by my GP while I was on the waiting list. As far as I can remember, they were to be done on day 1-5.

GPs can definitely do them-as with any tests, it just takes them a few days longer to get results through compared to the hospital.

Hope this helps,

xxx
  • Thanks ladies...

Re-read the info i had on IVF and the cd3 bloods... and it was referring to it as a test for those doing IVF egg sharing... not just a normal cycle..

Me jumping the gun :P

xx