Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How to go private?

This may seem like a silly question but what do I need to do to start going down the private route for IVF etc?

We are due to have our follow up appointment on 8th June with the NHS to get all our test results back but we already are 99% sure they are going to say we need IVF and ICSI due to DH SA. I want to be prepared with all the right questions at this appointment so we can start to go down the private route straight away. Things I am not sure about are weather I need to ask for print outs of these results (if they would give them out to me) or whether I just write stuff down. I presume now we have had all these tests done recently we would not need them done again once we go private??

Assuming the worst and we do need IVF/ ICSI is it just a matter of choosing a clinic and then calling them up or does my doctor need to refer us?

Thanks for your advice ladies x

Replies

• HI, I am sorry to hear that you may have to take the IVF route. We went private but we were simply referred to the clinic of our choice and then had an appt through within 4 weeks and then the ball started rolling. The doctor we saw was actually the doctor we saw through the NHS process and she would have been our NHS route if we had not gone private so it may have been more simple because we already had a link with her. However from reading up about it I think the best thing is to research the clinic you want to go to and then ring them and they will book you in. Your doc will refer you to why you need it, but they will re run bloods and scans on you to double check and for them to check you out themselves.
    Hope this helps and good luck,
    xx
  • hi Debbie,

Like Rachie, we went down the NHS route and have been referred privately to the same consultant privately. we went to him and toild him we wanted to go private. we are waiting for the letter to come through and then we will sort out an appointment. I am assuming they will transfer all of our records to the Private clinic.

good luck.

xx