Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My appointment with the Doc & Gynae

Well, I suppose it is good news and bad news.

I went to see my doc on Tuesday to get the results of my CD2, CD21, thyroid and prolactin bloods. My number was 7 (should be 30+) which means i definitely didn't ovulate in my cycle (for the 3rd month running), my thyroid has stabilised it self again and all other bloods were fine. Doc told me to ask my Gynae about arranging a HSG and then Clomid (i assume he meant this, kept calling it Clomiphene).

So i had my happy head on thinking i was getting somewhere, i asked my doc about my weight and he said it should only really affect treatment if it comes to having IVF. But to carry on losing the weight as i am doing.

So, Wednesday i went to my Gynae appointment. Obviously because i only get these chances once on the NHS i don't want to use them up willy nilly so i explained to my Gynae that i would like to have the HSG and then the Clomid. I explained how much weight i had lost so far. He checked my partners SA again (he couldn't even remember seeing me in June :roll: )
I explained that i know i need to lose weight still but i really want this now. He asked if i was ok and then the tears came, i explained how it was all so frustrating etc. He told me that he really thinks the HSG and Clomid shouldn't be a consideration at this moment in time due to my weight. I am 3 stone overweight which i know is bad but bloody hell.....i have seen worse. So i had to accept the fact that i need to lose the weight before the treatment. He said he would happily prescribe me it for my next cycle but how the hell can i accept it after been told he thinks it wont work because of my weight. So i have now got 10 months before my next appointment with him to lose all my weight and hopefully it will be good enough for him when i return :\?

In a strange way i felt soooooo relaxed when i got home because i felt like someone had said it is ok to not TTC for ten months and have a holiday lol. Sounds silly i know but it has all been so much this year and i really thought it would end up ruining my relationship at some point but now i feel like i can just concentrate on my diet and get saving all my pennys for if i do have a baby at some point and i dont have to worry about booking doc appointments on certain days etc.

So....just thought i would share my two days off work with you ladies :lol: Hope everyone is well xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi IWAB,

Just wanted to say that you are not alone in this scenario, we are similar but we have unexplained infertility and have been told to lose weight before they will consider us for treatment. I was really upset at the time but have now really focused on losing weight. I have lost 13lbs so far, and its actually really nice having to be more relaxed about ttc and just having sex when we want!!!!!!! The difference with us is that we have a high possibility of a natural BFP which is what keeps me going!!!

Good luck in your journey! xxx
  • Options
    Aww honey big hugs to you. You need to use the time to focus on you and have a holiday like you said! Just know that everything you do in that time to get yourself healthier is all for your baby when s/he eventually arrives.
    Good luck and baby dust XXX
  • Options
    A bit of a mixed bag, then, ey?! Glad to hear you're seeing the positive side of things. But I thought they could assist treating your pcos (correct me if I'm wrong, I get mixed up) with clomid, which would also help reduce weight? Maybe I'm gettng confused (again!) I suppose when you do take it, you want to have the best possible chance of it working- and you'll have a healthier pg and birth etc if you are slimmer/fitter??

I've just started rugby again to help me lose weight (I gave up, as I didn't want to risk damaging an early pg and cos for some reason, I thought the aggressive nature of it might not be good environment for baby-making!!-crazy me!) I also have about 3 stone to lose and an appt with gynae in 7 weeks!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments ladies!

Jonzemonkey - it is hard to be told to lose weight constantly, it really gets my goat when i see big women out there carting a little one around. Everyone tells me i am not big (size 14-16) but because i weigh 16 stone (i am built big) i have to lose weight. Personally i think it is ridiculous BUT i will do anything i can to have a healthy baby. Congrats on losing 13lbs, i don't feel like i will ever be at that stage but i have to keep on!!!

Tigerboo - thanks for the comment, i just hope that all of this is rewarded with a happy, healthy baby!!

Windy miller - it definitely is a mixed bag!!! I don't have PCOS if that is what you meant, i don't know if PCOS can be treated with it. According to my GP i am not at a terrible weight and could have the treatment but then when i saw the gynae he said he suggested i lose weight to increase the chances of natural ovulation and if not that then to help the Clomid work more. I genuinely don't understand it all, i just know i am SICK of been told to lose weight. If a fat person like me cant get pregnant then why can any fat person!!!! I'll get over my bitterness at some point....i hope!! Good luck at your appointment x
  • Options
    Hi IWAB,

Sorry, I get mixed up over who has pcos and who doesn't-its so common! But they'll use Clomid to regulate your hormones? But only once you've lost the weight.

I understand your frustration, I have a BMI of 34, I can see the staff automatically rolling their eyes at me when I go in for appt's. I feel like its jut an excuse to delay fertiltity treatment. I couldn't believe that the fertility nurse I saw told me that they automatically assume (the fact that she used that word says it all!) that I have pcos, because I'm having trouble conceiving and I'm overweight. I'm overweight because I eat too much!!

I am now obssessed with looking at every fat mother and trying to guess if they were fat before they got pregnant or not! And I don't even think I'm that big- I weigh 13 stone. 2 stone heavier than I was a few years ago, though!

I'm trying to imagine how proud I will be when I lose weight and how much better I will feel about myself- I must admit, I'm not that happy at this weight.

Take care xx