Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

In 2 weeks' time....

.....we can start IVF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :\) :\) :\) :\) :\)

I am so so over the moon. It's been a pretty emotional day. As some of you will know I am really desperate to have one go of IVF this yr. Just something about the fact that we started trying in 2008, so getting a chance at IVF in 2009 sounds so much better in my head than 2010, despite the fact that it's actually only a matter on weeks really. Anyway, i knew it would be tight or maybe not possible.....but had really pinned my hopes on starting this yr.

So, we had our intital consultation today. Our consultant looked through all our results and history and basically said that the chances of us conceiving naturally with my husband's poor sperm results were very slim (i.e., if we kept trying for the next however many yrs we may be very lucky and get pg once or maybe not at all. She therefore recommended ICSI. If my ovarian reserves are good, then the success rate could be as high as 60% at our clinic, but it all depends how many eggs are collected.

So then she looked at dates and we worked out if i start on the long protocol on my next AF the EC and ET would be v v close to xmas and may end up being when they are closed if things do not go according to plan. Which would be a bit risky to say the least. She said I would not be able to start the short protocol as I have not yet had my AMH levels tested (GP didn;t do them properly it seems image ) This sent me into a spiral of negativity, crying, and saying I just cannot bear to wait until next yr. I know it'[s a bit dramatic but I think it's just that I'd pinned all my hopes on this and set my heart on it. I also know that it has a good chance of not working first time, but I just want a chance. Just for once, just a chance! I think she then realised where my brain is at with this, and agreed that I could have my AMH tested today ( which they did) and then I could start the short protocol when my next AF arrives, probably in about 2 weeks' time. So i've got my prescription for the drugs I will probably have to take and just have to wait for AF, which despite all the bd'ing we've done this month, probably will arrive (but still trying to remain optimistic for a miracle!).

I know this is only the first step and there's lots that could go wrong before we get to the stage of actually having any embryo(s) transferred, but for now I am just going to enjoy this feeling of excitment and anticipation that we may actually have a real chance in 2009.

Thanks to all of you fantastic ladies who have posted well wishes today. I really cannot tell you how much your support means to me. I shall be keeping you updated and probably asking lots of random questions over the next couple of months!! xxx

Replies

• OMG thats brilliant news tbd, I hope its not long b4 you are psoting your bfp sugar. Im so pleased things are moving forward quickly for you XX
  • That's brilliant news, TBD - so exciting, and with the short protocol everything happens so quickly.

Given my time again, the big thing I would have done differently in the run-up to starting is to do loads of cooking for the freezer. I ended up doing that the weekend after I started, when I was already feeling knackered - the main side effect of all of the drugs (pre- and post-transfer) for me has been total exhaustion. There have been MANY times in the course of treatment that I've really not felt like cooking, and having a full freezer is a godsend. Mind you, perhaps you have the even bigger godsend of a husband who is willing and able to do a bit of cooking himself...

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your journey xxx
  • Oh TBD, this is amazing news. Good on you for pushing hard for it to happen this year. This could turn out to be your best ever year! It sounds like you have an excellent consultant who is really listening and helping you. It's good to stay grounded in terms of the possibility that things may go wrong, but I'm so pleased that you are on the way to your bfp honey. What an emotional day you've had, I'm so happy for you! x
  • So pleased for you hon,

What a great way to finish off your year, i know how desperate you were to squeeze it in before 2010. Wow, wouldnt it be fab to start your new year with a baby on board. (god, makes me a bit teary thinking about it!)

I really really hope that it is a sucess and that this long long journey can finally come to an end for you.

Good luck, please keep us updated on whats going on.

Hugs

Gem x

• Ah that's fantastic news, and well done you on getting them to do it in just 2 weeks!
    I really hope it goes well for you and look forward to reading of your bfp and pregnancy tales! xxx
  • silly question sorry....do you get a bfp when you have IVF or do you just know it's worked? I'm a little clueless about the actual process itself!
  • Thats great news TBD, not long now and fingers crossed by the end of the year YOU WILL get your most well deserved BFP!!! XXXXX good luckxxx
  • Fantasic news LBD, only a few weeks then and you'll be on your way to getting your BFP... that is unless it doesn't happen before then! xx

• TBD... whoop whoop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so so SO excited for you, that is brilliant news imageimage So pleased you are doing it this year... I have everything crossed that you will have a BFP in 2009... and 2010 is all about being a MUMMY!!!!!
    I am so excited for you my lovely,
    xxx
  • oh that's just so great!!!!!! i'm sooooo pleased for you! at last, it's finally happening image

good luck hun and keep us updated x x x
  • Hey huni,

I am sooooo pleased for you hun, im sorry I havent been on for a couple of days so have only just seen this. Well done for getting them to do the remaining tests & roll on 2 wks time. I am so excited for you hun.

Will miss you when you go off to pg but will just have to stalk you or join you one or the other LOL xxx
  • You guys - THANK YOU so so much for your absolutely lovely messages. Your kindness and happiness for me has blown me away and bought tears to my eyes! Thank you. I shall definitely be keeping you all updated, don't you worry!!! I have millions of questions already that I'm sure you can help me with.

LL - thankyou honey. Hope all is well with you and bump! When do you find out how many are in there??

LDOM - yes so glad I'm going to be on the short one. I really didn;t want to go back on the pill. Do you know if the short one has any effect on success rates? Thanks for the freezer tip. Better get cooking then....and clearing out the freezer of all the stuff we are really never going to eat!

Angelfish - yes she is good...although v straight talking! How are you doing honey?

Gem - oh bless you that's so sweet. I cannot even let myself think that I might be pg by the new yr, but wow that would just be so so amazing. Hope you're doing ok with everything and still feeling positive about your plan.

Happy Traveller - thanks hon. You get given a date when you have to test, think it's just under 2 weeks after embryo transfer. You can't test earlier as it could be +ive becuase of all the drugs.

Hales, Issy and twinklestar - thank you lovely ladies! I hope so so much...

Rachie - aw bless you hon, that is so lovely of you. I really really hope 2010 is all about being a mummy for you too lovey.

Sanguine - lovely sweetie as ever! That is so sweet. I think it was the crying and pleading that did it more than anything else, but hey, it worked! 2010 will be a good yr for you too I reckon....

Laujai - aw lovey don't apologise! I really hope we're in pg together....fingers crossed... How are you doing? Have you been away from BE for good reasons?

Thanks again ladies, you really are the best. I wouldn;t have got to this point without you xxx
  • Oh honey that is fantastic news congratulations, this means that in 9 months you could have a baby. I really hope you get a bfp on your first ivf cycle xxx Really am so pleased for you. My friend who has two ivf babies had to wait 2 weeks to test. Oh I am so excited for you!
  • Thanks socksy, very sweet of you. Howw are you doing? Been managing to keep your mind off it while away from here? xx
  • Thats ok! I am good. Very tired, work is really busy which is a lovley change. I have next week off so I am looking forward to that. My hubbie is driving me nuts! He is normally so switched on to my cycle but this month he seems all over the place, I was due to ov tuesday so pounced on him when he got in and he confessed he thought I was on so had done some diy earlier, honestly! I was so cross. We had done it every other day since af finished though so we should still be in with a chance. Then we are trying to sort the house out so we can sell it, my kitchen cupboards are a mess and we have been trying to sort them out, started to paint them but they looked awful so we are buying new ones, I now have 4 different style cupboards, the ones we painted, the origninal ones, ones our neighbour gave us and the one we have bought, hoping we can afford to buy new all round and he wants to buy ice skates, honestly, what do you do with him!

Do you know also I saw 4 different sets of identical twin babies on my lunch break, now if that isn't rubbing my nose in it I don't know what is.

And breath! Sorry now I have hjacked your post! Seem to have a lot to say tonight! lol!

So how are you generally, full of PMA I expect!
  • Oh Tinybabydancer thats wonderful news hun.
    Im so glad you can move forward with positivity & you never know you could get a christmas BFP!
    Oh that would be so lovely, you deserve it so much, i know you have been a fantastic support to me since i joined you on BE.
    All the best hun i wish you all the success in the world! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • TBD

This is such fantastic news, I'm so pleased for you honey. I can't wait to read your BFP post!

xx
  • Hey ladies, once again thank you for the lovely messages - I really appreciate them!!

Socks - he he your post did make me smile! Your DH sounds funny..... Although I would have been v annoyed about the DIY'ing. That happened to me the first cycle we were TTC, but never again as he always knows EXACTLY what is going on from my regular updates!! Yeah SEXY!!! I hope you manage to sort your cupboards out soon, at least that is something to take your mind off TTC. If you're moving house that's fab as you're bound to end up falling pg and having terrible morning sickness as soon as you sign contracts....just sods law. Woohoo hopefully a socksy BFP on the way then... I am good. feeling a bit nervous about a few things today so had to get up and put some thoughts on here....then I might go back to bed if hubbie is still snoring away up there!

PS - thanks sweetie. I can't even imagine how amazing a christmas BFP would be. Sometimes I allow myslef to daydream about it but then it scares me that I'm jinxing it... Hope you're feeling a little brighter today hon. Don't forget lots of the recent BFP'ers felt low like this and were sure they would get a BFN....keep hoping.

MrsD - thanks sweetie. Hoe are you getting on hon? Must be nearing end of 2ww?

Thanks again xxx
  • Sorry I only just come on after a few days and seen this!! I am so very pleased for you I know how hopeful you were to start this year (what a lovely little xmas present you could be carrying around!) I can't wait to see your BFP post because it will truly happen to a most deserving person!! Good luck hun and hope this 2 weeks fly so you can get started, unless that little miracle happens before, which it did to my friend after trying for 3 years and awaiting her af to start IVF! Anyway, I digress, sending lots of love and baby dust to you and hubs xxxxx
  • Hey Evie sweetie - thank you for your lovely post....you're so kind. Ooh that little miracle BFP would be AMAZING but am not expecting that at all. Thanks hon. I see things are moving forward with you too....just about to read your post xx