Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Missed Miscarriage

Hello,

Firstly I'm very sorry for all of you who may have been affected by this before and I wish you lots of luck for successful pregnancies in the future....

I was just wondering if the majority of you who suffered from a missed miscarriage actually had a scan before the 12 week one and saw the baby's heartbeat prior to the scan when you were informed that the baby had not survived.

I read somewhere that if you see the heartbeat at 8-9 weeks then the chances of it surviving and not having any faulty genes/chromosomes so that it doesn't grow etc is about 98.4% and that only about 1% of pregnancies end in missed miscarriages. his should be reassuring but there seems to be a lot of people on here though who have had one though so I'm not sure how accurate these figures are - sure I got them from the miscarriage association website?

Does anyone know what the longest time is that anyone has had to wait to 'expel' the pregnancy naturally?

I wonder if a lot of people actually had a 'blighted ovum' and the baby was never actually seen?

I have my scan on Tuesday and this whole issue is really stressing me out with worry. Think I should just stop reading stuff. I'm going insane but somehow feel if I arm myself with information I will be able to deal with anything much better! image

x

Replies

• hi,

good luck with your scan next week. you really should try not to worry.

I found out this week that I had a missed miscarriage. I'm not even sure what a blighted ovum is(and to be honest, it's not something I feel the need to know) but all I know is that I was pregnant and now I'm not. And I can only imagine that's how other people feel. Some people might have earlier scans with heartbeats, some wont have, but the devastation remains the same.

Yes the 1% figure is true - it may seem higher on sites like this but that's because people are drawn to it to get support and share their experiences.

I really would try not to worry about this happening to you. All the 'facts' in the world wont prepare you for how you would feel if it did happen.

Best of luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy.
  • Hi Dingle!

Really sorry to hear you're stressing out. I'm sure everything will be absolutely fine when you go for your scan. Easier said than done I know. People have been trying to reassure me since I had my missed m/c last month and I'm still feeling pessimistic about next time!

Anyway, I think what I experienced was a blighted ovum but no health professionals seem to use that expression here. I wonder whether it's used more commonly in America? Not sure. They've put missed m/c on my medical notes. I had a bit of blood and no pain at 11 weeks + 2 days so I went for a check-up at the hospital. They scanned me and there was an embryo sac (which was 8 - 9 weeks in size) and no fetus. The sac had a wobbly lining and was banana shaped instead of having a thick strong wall and being round shaped. I had another scan 3 days later and an ERPC 2 days later.

Has anything been troubling you in particular? I didn't notice any symptons at the time although with hindsight my boobs had begun to go back to their normal size from week 9 onwards. I also didn't feel sick at all. Just very tired. Although don't worry if you're not sick either! My Mum had 4 healthy babies and she didn't get morning sickness.

I do hope you can put your mind at ease as I'm sure everything will be ok. Hope this is of some help. I think we're genetically programmed to worry but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Take care,

Jo x
  • Ok - thank you for your replies. I will try to focus on the positive things. Sorry to ask these questions and perhaps you're right....whatever happens I will deal with it when it happens and no amount of information or statistics will change that.

Many thanks xxxx
  • Jo 1976, No - nothing is troubling me in particular...I suppose a lack of symptons except tiredness but I am 12 weeks now and sometimes they go away now I've heard. I think its just the chemical hormonal effect on my brain making me worried and I should just go and have a long hot bubble bath! Take care xxx
  • Bubble bath sounds good! Let us know how that scan goes J x
  • Hello

Ive just recently uffered a missed-miscarrige myself, which me and my partner are absolutly devasted about. we went for our 12 week scan yesterday but told us the baby had died at 7 weeks but had not miscarried from my body. so i have still been growing like im pregnant but my body has still not relied that i am not. This weekend i will have to go to hopital and have a medically helped miscarrige. i had no sickness at all from the early stages so thought i was just lucky! But have had alot of lower back pain which is another sign. My heart goes out to all women who have also been through this as me and my partner are so devasted and I can't control my crying fits at the minute. good luck to everyone who s pregnant, all the best wishes and prayers for a healthy baby.

Love c.gunn xx