Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

6weeks but no heartbeat at scan please help

Replies

• i went to see my doctor with a nagging pain..that came on and off.he sent me for a scan.the doctor doing the tvs said he could see the gestational sac and yok but he couldnt see the zygote or what he called the baby..there was also no cardiac activity as per the report.he also wrote.."there is an echogenic focus which could be a foetal pole...but no cardiac activity detected..

then he wrote follow up scan in two weeks to confirm viability...

what does this mean....

my pregnancy symptoms are not like last pregnancy..i was throwing up...which i really dont like,but i wish i did even throw up once...but am really feeling tired but ive been working alot since i dont have a nanny for the last three days..

am so scared what do i do.

• I've been reading a lot into this kind of thing and I'm sure they can't pick up heart beats until about 7 weeks, 6 weeks at the very earliest. I went for a scan at 8 weeks (last week) and I didn't hear a heart beat but she said it was there. They may have just scanned you too early to be able to pick the heart beat up properly x

• I'm hoping someone can help me please? The first day of my LMP was 1st December 2012. 2 weeks later I passed some unusual small brown clots. This stopped and then started again 2 weeks later. I did a pregnancy test which was positive. I went to hospital and the ob/gyn ruled out ectopic pregnancy and didn't fill me with hope.

My blood tests showed my HCG level at 8000. I had an internal ultrasound and there was a baby in a sac present. Its size was around 5mm. Sonographer was unsure of whether there was a heartbeat. There was a visible small bleed next to the sac. The sonographer dated me at 5-6 weeks. (By this point in time, I had started to pass fresh red blood which contained some small stringy clots. The amount of blood would be the equivilent of 1 sanitary towel a day. The bleeding is still on-going).

This is 2 weeks more than my dates suggested. I have PCOS and my periods are very irregular but when I get them they are very heavy and painful. My period on 1st December was no different. So I think that my dates are correct and hers are wrong. 

I returned for a second internal ultrasound 2 weeks later (exactly 6 weeks from the first day of my LMP). There was no heartbeat but the sonographer said there was a fraction of a millimetre of growth. 

I now have to go back for a 3rd scan in 10 days! I'm so worried and the nurse won't tell me much other than that they're just following UK guidelines. CAN ANYONE HELP TO ADVISE ME ABOUT WHAT"S HAPPENING PLEASE???

• I had something very similar, my dates didn't match the doctors from the start but of course they only go by LMP. I had to have a scan and she certainly didn't fill my hopes and said all she could say was how many weeks I was measuring (6 weeks 5 days) and that there was no heartbeat. I left feeling very sad n not having much hope. Had a bleed again then 2 days later however returned for scan n there was baby's heart beating away!

I'm now almost 21 weeks n scans have all since shown a healthy active baby. Stay strong there is hope but I do know how hard it is and how long the week feels whilst your waiting.xx
  • Thanks so much Clairebear1902. It's so upsetting being left in limbo. Did they give any explanation as to what was causing the bleeding with you? It's so frustrating, they won't tell me anything

• No I asked and they said it can sometimes happen for no readon at all or if the bleed is around when your period would have been due its just excess. They really didn't tell me a lot and like I said that week was awful, my saving grace was this forum n others sharing their experiences. Even when scan was ok they didn't really give any explanation for bleed other then sometimes it can happen after sex. Trust me I was too scared to even attempt sex so there was no chance of that. Just try to relax and stay positive.

Keeping everything crossed for you. Good luck.

x Claire x
  • Hi all. Just a follow-up from my previous post. I hope this is helpful to people who find themselves in the same position as me because I could find absolutely nothing on the internet about anybody in the exact same situation as me...

Anyway, I went for my 3rd scan yesterday. The sonographer said that the baby had shrunk to less than 3mm, which means that the pregnancy is non-viable.

I asked about when the baby was conceived and when it had died, due to their dates and my dates being conflicting. The sonographer said that it was hard to tell but it is possible that my "period" was actually the start of miscarriage and it was slowed down by me taking mefenamic and transenamic acid (medication prescribed to prevent heavy bleeding and severe pain during periods in women who have polycystic ovaries).

I now have to decide on which option to take: ERPC, tablets or let nature take its course. Can anybody help advise? Each one has its downside. ERPC is an operation and holds risks. Tablets can cause extreme pain and letting nature take its course can take a long time when you just want it over and done with so that you can grieve properly. Experiences and advice much appreciated x

• I'm really very sorry. My heart goes out to you. I guess the next step is a personal choice and I'm not sure how I would feel in that situation. I guess it's best to do whatever you feel is best for yourself and helping you to move on but also what will help you best with further pregnancies. You take care and good luck for the future.

Claire x
  • Hi my dauhter had a scan yesterday and they could not find a heart beat and the sac was  measuring 7 wks and the feotus a lot smaller. They did an external scan and still no sign of a heart beat. My daughter has worked out her dates and says there is no way she can be 7 weeks she would of conceived 19december. She is also sat waiting it out,she had been sick throughout and had a banging headache yeaterday morning,we are all so worried no more so than her.They said come back in two weeks but she wants to go in a week and see if there has been any growth. Thanks for your posts they have really helped. There is hope and until I hear otherwise I shall hold on to that. Good luck everyone. I have had three healthy children iin my time and now awaiting grandchildren. Lianne x

• hi katie9 i had a scan and i thought i was 7 weeks, i went and had a scan and all we could see was a sac and a yolk sac i was so worried and she measured me at 6 weeks+, so anyway i had to go bk a few days later and there it was a baby and a heartbeat at 7+1wks i wouldnt worry as most scans dont pick up a heartbeat untill at least 7-8 weeks, and you may have ovulated later which was what happened in my case. I have another scan thursday so hopefully all is still well, let us no how u get on and im sure everything is fine just too early baby is only the size of a grain of rice at that stage x

• hi, i have had 3 scans, one at 4 weeks one at 5 and one at 6, all scans say that there is no heart beat. but all three scans are different, each scan the baby and sack are double the size of the last one so its really confusing. how can a baby grow if it isnt alive? right? so i have taken it up on myself to cancel all further scans and just go for a 12 week scan which will be the beggining on august, i have had no pains or bleeding what so ever and i still feel pregnant, i refuse to think that my baby is dead until i go back at 12 weeks and there is no difference, keep hope and im sure everything will work out, they cant force you to do anything you dont want to. if you feel in yourself that your baby is ok then your baby is okay. dont stress and try not to think about what they have said, good luck!

• So sorry that there are so many of you either getting bad news or what's almost worse is the not knowing. Sending you all baby dust!

My wife had same experience and sadly for us it wasn't good news. We we're holding out for 12 weeks scan but because of some bleeding we were booked in for emergency internal scan at 10 weeks. Scan showed sac and foetal pole but was only developed 5/6 weeks and no heartbeat. Nurse told us to expect MC within a week or so but to go back for another scan in 2 weeks to see if there was a change. Unfortunately we had the natural mc and had to have tabs to clear out. 

We're now preg again but got Bleeding at same stage as before. Gutted

• I just went for my first ultrasound today to see how far along I am. The pregnancy was not planned and I did not keep track of my LMP so I had no idea how far I was. Anyway, I could tell that there was something wrong during the ultrasound as the tech seemed to be trying really hard to find something. We could see the gestational sac...Im not sure if the yolk was there because she did not point it out to me. She overall irritated and worried me to be honest because I was picking up on her body language that something was wrong but when I asked her if the fetus looked "normal" she told me that she was not able to tell me....so I measured at 6 weeks with no heartbeat, however, I saw the tech write that she was unable to determine what position the fetus was in. She also did a transabdominal US which I know are less accurate. Overall this experience was heart breaking bc when you have a nurse look at you and tell you that there is a 95% chance you will MC, its sad. So, I have to wait a week to get another US. Im in the process of wrapping my mind around the idea that I probably lost the baby so it wont be so difficult next week if theres no beat bc according to the nurse, its VERY likely that Ive lost it.

• hello i have read all ur posts and iam so sorry to all u ladies who have lost there baby.

iam 6 weeks n 3 days and went for an emergancy scan as i have been getting alot of cramps and brown mucus discharge... i have been informed that they can see no baby but a sac n blood outside the sac... the midwife has took blood tests from me  to check my hormone  levels n has said that i could have 3 outcomes ..1  if hormonre level comes back high it could bea moler pregencey were iam not really pregnet and it is like a fantam pregnecy n i have to have surgery to remove tissue... 2  low hormone levels i may be at early stages of a miscarraige or 3  normal levels of hormones it could be that iam not as far as they say iam n that is why they cant see anything although she also said my sac didnt look like a normall strong one...image but some women have been known to come back a week latter n for it to look stronger.. iam totally heart broken and distressed have to wait for a phone call this afternoon regarding blood levels then we go from there this is my first pregneacy and me n my hubby have been trying for 4 years so heartbroken but i know deep down what is going to happen as i havent felt pregnet for a couple of weeksimage... xxx

• Ahhhh tt4 I am so sorry ..... I haven't experienced this as I am new to TTC but wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. 

Sending much love - please update x

• Hello Minnie 22 i got blood results back my hormone levels ate high n they still couldn't let me know if that was a good thing cause of this molea pregnancy... They said the doc would call me back if they were worried but have had no phone call have to go back for blood tests tommorow but Will still be none the wiser as to what is really happing .. I am still in pain n still bleeding i really dont think it Will be a good outcome..:'(:'(:'(:'( x
  • How long it to for them to figure everything out did they tell u this looks like a mis carriage or early labor because of how that sack looking and sitting 

• Hi cricket 35 - and welcome to MadeForMums!

We hope you're doing ok? You've happened to post on quite an old discussion thread, though, so it may be that folks won't see your post. Would you like us to make a new thread for your post or would you like to create a new one yourself?

There are lots of people on MFM Chat who should be able advise you, and we're sure they'll have some great advice to share.

• Yes Danielle mfm 

• Hi crickett 35, this is no problem at all. Just to let you know, we will have to go into the back end of our system and post as you - is that OK? If so, just let me know here and i'll sort that out for you asap.