Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO anyone who's had an ectopic pregnancy

Hi ladies

I was wondering if anyone who's had an ectopic pregnancy could help me out a little?

What were your HCG levels doing? Were they still rising but not enough or did they hover around the same level or drop?

Right now my HCG levels seem to be going up about 34% every 48 hours.

Also, did you have pain by 6 weeks? What were your first symptoms of ectopic and when did you get them?

I have a scan tomorrow but just wondered if anyone would mind sharing their experiences,

Thanks, NN xxx

Replies

• Hi NN

Sorry you are having this worrying time, it's horrible I know.

When I had my ectopic, my first symptom was that I started to bleed a bit and so was sent to EPU for a scan. They were unable to see anything in the womb and said chances were that I had miscarried. They took bloods and because the HCG level was higher than they would have expected, they called me back 2 days later to have them taken again. The results from that showed a slight rise but not to the level they would have expected and so they said that the most likely outcome was an ectopic. They took more tests and the results confirmed it for them. Unfortunately I don't know the % it was rising each time, I just know that it wasn't rising at the rate they expected.

I was treated with methotrexate which took about 4 weeks to work and I had no other symptoms at all - no pain at any time. I was approximately 7 weeks pregnant.

I really hope that you don't have to go through this, but if you do, please take comfort in the fact that many women who have ectopics do go on to have succesful pregnancies. The methotrexate means you can't ttc for 3 months but if it's an option, it is obviously preferable to surgery.

Good luck at your scan and I really hope that you get good news and your pregnancy is successful.

Gill x