Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

first day back in work after mc

hi everyone,

I have been off work for 6 weeks cos of mc, and just to rest cos of my job (nhs). I am due to start again tomorrow and I am a bit worried how I am going to be when staff start asking questions. I know am ready to go back and prepared for how are you? but I just dont want to have to answer questions on why mc happened. Has anyone recently gone back to work? or any advice for me please xx

Replies

• hi again shell image

i went back to work just over a week after my ERPC, at the start of june.

i was worried about what people might say - because i had only told a few people at work that i was pregnant. so i told the person i work with that if anyone asked where i was while i was off, to tell them what had happened so as i wouldn't be asked any questions in a jokey way like "where have you been then" etc etc. i made sure i had my answers prepared for any questions i may be asked. for people who didn't know about mc i simply said "Not too bad thanks" (not completely lying by saying i was fine etc), but i found that other people didn't really ask - everything was normal. this might be because i work with a lot of men and they don't know what to say. i did speak to a couple of women about it though but it was on my terms really - i spoke when i felt ready, then that was it.

i hope there is no one as insensitive as to ask in detail about mc. just make your mind up whether you want to talk about mc at all to anyone, or to give anyone a short answer if they ask you a question.

after the first day no more was said really to me. it's just a matter of getting back into the swing of things again.

i hope they are supportive for you. good luck, hope it goes ok
    xxx
  • Hello, Im going back to work tomorrow too after a week off, I miscarried last Monday. My manager has been lovely about it so Im hoping it will be ok, although Im a bit nervous about the questions Im bound to be asked. I think Im going to tell the staff that I manage why I was off, but not tell everyone as I dont want to be asked questions really in case I get upset. If anyone asks any detailed questions then I might just not say much and change the subject.......

I hope it goes ok for you, let me know how it goes! xx
  • hi, ive spoken to my manager and asked her to tell the girls in the team about it. However the office manager knows because she had the sick notes sent to her, i think the girls in the team will be alright its just the rest am worried about because they found out just before I went off. I just hope nobody will be insensitive to ask me either. I will let use all know xx
  • hi
    i went back to work last monday and to be honest with you i was dreading it but it was absolutely fine! i had only told my boss and one friend that i was pregnant. my boss e-mailed me the whole time i was off and was so lovely and supportive (my head of dept. not so understanding- witch!) and before i started back he told everyone that i was fine but not to ask me how i was as i had asked him to pass on the message. everyone was fantastic and only showed concern and were pleased to see me back. i don't think anyone would be so insensitive as to ask you the cause of the mc. in any case, most mcs happen for no reason at all.

when i went to see my doc for sick note she told me to think of something to say (a lie) to the kids (i'm a teacher) as they'd probably ask where i'd been and that it was better to have something prepared for those who didn't know or that you didn't want them to know. i honestly didn't think or expect my kids to ask me where i'd been. they bloody did though! some lads in my form group asked me and i just told them to mind their own business but in a jokey way! i never ask them why they've been off, i just ask them to send a note to the office. they respected my answer and never asked again.

i really hope it goes well for both of you. i'll be thinking of you both. all the best. x

[Modified by: lula-belle on July 20, 2008 09:26 PM]

• hi, everything was fine today in work. In fact I could not of asked for anymore support. The girls in the office just asked how I was and said that I have been given a small work load to ease back into work. I had my back to work interview with the manager and she was very understanding as she has has a m/c in the past also. So all that worrying was for nothing and I am just trying to get back into now. Thank you for your advice and support, good luck to anyone else xxx
  • how did today go? xx
  • hi mrs e see above post, hows everything else with you? xx
  • ooops sorry - i think i posted the same time as you!

really pleased to hear it went ok image

xxx
  • no probs, I actually feel better in myself going back to work and having a routine xxx:\)