Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

missed miscarriage - D & C or tablets - advice please

Hi, its probably too late to change my mind as I took my first table yesterday and am due to go into hopsital tomorrow to take my second lot. ive been on internet and some people had horrid time with tablets. can some of you please put my mind at rest that i have made the right decision?!? baby stopped growing at just under 7 weeks (5mm). Thanksxxxx

Replies

• Hi there, dont know how many weeks you were but I had a mmc in 2006 at 11+ weeks and baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks. I had some spotting and was sent home without the option of tablets. I had already waited 2 days for a scan and this was on the wed and couldnt get D&C until the Fri. I started to MC that night - dont know if it was because I knew then or not but it wasnt very pleasant - wont go in to details but I ended up in hopsital for 3 days after losing so much blood and ended up getting a D&C on the Thursday night.

I know that this is a dreadful experience to be going through and I hope that you dont have to go through too much of a rough time. Just remember and let your grief out. You wont get over this but you will get through it and I send you my best wishes.
    xxx
  • Hi LisaD,

firstly I'm so sorry for your loss, I have been there twice and understand what your going through...

I think as you have already started the tablets I would try and not read anything about it and just let it happen. Your only going to upset yourself further by reading up different stories of what went wrong....

I had a spontaneous m/c the first time and a d+c the second, they are both upsetting in their own ways and the outcome is always the same...

You will work your way through this and let your family and friends support you at this time....

hugs to you and your other half
    Sarah
    xx
  • Hi LisaD,

I'm very sorry about your m/mc. I went yesterday for my 12 wk scan to hospital and was told that my baby had died too a couple of wks ago. I am going again tomorrow fora chat about my "options" but have already done some research and decided on a d & c as I have two little ones and don't want for them to be upset for mama. It seems like I have to wait until next wk for it as they don't like to do it on a weekend due to the short number of staff. I really hope and pray that it works ok for you. I'll be thinking of you and yours sweetheart.

Take care and courage,
    Elie
    xxx
  • Hey Guys

Firstly I know what you are all feeling as I had a mmc in June last year. We found out in our 12wk scan and the emotions you go thru are really intense.

When I first found out I was adamant I would not have a D and C, I have a fear of operations and there was no way I felt I could have an op.
    This was the friday and we were sent home to think about things for the weekend with a piece of paper with basic details on.
    The Saturday was when I first found this forum and I was still adamant I could not have an op and was slowly coming around to the idea of the tablet. I found out my mother in law had experienced the horror of numerous mc and she advised me to have the op.
    I spoke to my cousin who had had a mc and she allowed things to happen naturally and for her it was incredibly painful. I also spoke to a friend who expeienced a natuarl mc, who described it as a heavy period.
    I felt totally confused and bewildered.
    I woke up on Sunday and I felt I had to do something as I didn't want this going on for ever as I had not started naturally.

You have to do what is right for you. Over a space of 3 days I explored all options. The only way I can describe it is that the fear of waiting for it to start was too much for me, I needed it over and for things to be removed. I felt a freak for carrying something dead in me and I had to deal with it.
    So as you can imagine....my fear of an operation was overcome by the need to have the situation dealt with. I had the op and it was fine and I am so proud of myself for doing that

Make the decison which is right for you. Everyone is different and our bodies react in different ways.
    It will be a tough time, but things get so much better. I look back to that weekend and it was one of the worst of my life.
    We are here for you and will support you through.

Take care and chat soon
    much love
    Sian XX
  • thanks so much for your replies. Ive scared myself half to death reading other peoples story's. What I have realised is that everyone has come away from their experience 'in tact' so I will carry on with my initial decision. Its not going to be pleasant either way. Thanks again. xx