Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Book for siblings..

Hi ladies. I have 2 children aged 15 and 6 who were very involved in us discussing planning a baby and from the moment I got BFP. Sadly it ended at 11 weeks and to begin with of course we were all sad but the girls seemed ok. After a week or so tho, dd2 started not sleeping and being really clingy to me then chose a book about being a new big sister from the school library... so I ordered this book.
We were gonna have a baby, but we had an angel instead by Pat Schweibert.
In the meantime we seem to have talked thru her fears, sadness and questions but the book arrived today and I just wanted to recommend it. I think it may be a bit young for DD2 but at least she will have something to remind her that it happens and it is sad and you're allowed to be sad (I think this was her problem as she said at one point I think it must be worse for you mummy cos it happened in your body awww)

Hope it helps someone

Replies

• This is so odd, I got an email notification of a reply but it's not shown up here!

Well to the lady that replied (sorry I didn't take in who it was!) just wanted to say it is a very basic book with one line on each page but it starts with how excited they all are and a few pages of what the boy was looking forward to doing with the baby - games not helping mum - then it deals with how sad everyone is. I wish I'd had it sooner as it says 'Mommy sits in the rockingchair, holding the baby's blanket and cries a lot' :cry:
    I cried a lot today reading it (but I am just getting AF so hormonal anyway!) but in my opinion it shows that it's ok to be sad and fed up about it. I think with dd2 and probably your son - with them being older they maybe feel guilty that they are just fed up and feel cheated and think they shouldn't feel that way. The last pages are the boy saying he is sorry if you got an angel instead of a baby 'I think having a baby would have been more fun'

I didn't notice before that there are also 2 pages for adults on helping the child.

Lastly when I was looking for a book I found a really good analogy which again I wish I'd known sooner. We had said right from the start that not all pregnancies work out and we have 2 close friends that have lost theirs at 16 weeks and full term so DD2 was well aware of the possibility but this kind of helps... when you plant seeds, you sow many but only some grow and of those only a few end up being flowers or vegetables.... babies are the same.
  • Just noticed that it isn't showing up as having any replies even tho I added....

Just wanted to add that DD2 has just read hte book and I didn't even notice that the pictures after the loss show a baby angel watching over the family awwwww more tears!