Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

traumatic miscarriafge

I had a natural miscarriage at 11 weeks just before xmas. luckily i was already at the hospital when it happened (8.30am) as i was due an emergency scan as i had been bleeding on and off for 6 days. I missed my scan as i couldn`t get off the toilet in the hospital as blood was just pouring out of me. After an hour i managed to get off the loo only to collapse. The nurses got me into a side room and onto a couch as no beds were available. Then the pain started, i`ve never known pain like it, they gave me morphine which made no difference! After lots of writhing around in absolute agony the nurse suggested that i had some of the clotting removed manually, this was again painful but did help the pain to subside. They did this twice. I was the put in a chair to be scanned so they could ssee what was happening only i didn`t get there as i collapsed again. Suddenly there was a bed free for me, i there all day still bleeding, i could feel it oozing out of me constantly. The doctor struggled getting blood out of me to check my levels as i had lost so much. I then started feeling dizzy lying on the bed so had my pillows taken away and feet raised. I was told i needed a blood transfusion and op to clear me out and was gowned up for theatre. Eventually at about 7pm the consultant saw me, managed to scan me and again twice more manually removed clots etc. I was kept nil by mouth overnight in case the bleeding still hadn`t stopped and i would still need an op and blood. Luckily it had! I left hospital later that day very anaemic and weak. I even got out of breath walking upstairs! I had lots of tinnitus, a severe headache for a weak and couldn`t sleep for days. It took two weeks to feel anything like normal and to look less like casper the ghost.
I havent been particularly tearful but can`t stop thinking about what happened to me. Am i abnormal to miscarry like this? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Replies

• Hi Liz51. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. I just wanted to reassure you that you are in no way abnormal. I have never suffered a miscarriage myself but I am a gynae nurse and I care for families miscarrying on a daily basis so I feel that I am able to offer you some advice. It is more unusual to bleed heavily as you did but this often happens when the cervical OS remains open for a longer period of time as it did in your experience by the sounds of it. Have they given you any iron tablets to take? I hope everything settles down for you soon and you continue to feel a bit better each day. Take care and get plenty of rest. xxxx
  • Hi,

I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss and so sorry that you had to go through what sounds like such a difficult and upsetting experience.

You are definately normal so please don't question that although I know why you do this because I have found myself in a similar position after two MC, both of which have been completely different experiences. I think everyone and even every PG resulting in MMC or MC is different.

I hope that you are feeling a bit brighter soon and that things work out for you in the future.
    All the best, Em xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • So sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. Sounds like you were very unlucky to bleed so much and as gynae nurse said your os obviously never closed properly.
    I bled heavily with my 1st mc 3 years ago but not as heavily as you it seems.
    Sorry that you had such a bad experience and that hopefully you are getting the support you need. Hope you heal quickly and that when/if you are ready to try again that you get a healthy pg and bub. Take care, thoughts are with you. Filo x
  • Hi, i had a mc beg of nov 07, i bleed very heavy was on toilet like yourself for over a hour went through two toilet rolls and 6 pads, was then rushed to hospital was unconcious by the time i got there as i had lost to much blood. Was rushed down to thearte (although i had just eaten) for a emergency erpc and kept in overnight and was sent home the following day. I was about 14 weeks pregnant when this happened.
  • sorry about your loss i too had a very traumatic mc mine came on all of a sudden with almost like contractions every 3 mins i was having to rush to the toilet passing massis of blood and clots i went through 6 toilet rolls it was horrible and lasted for 4 hours i called the hospital and they were useless hey told me to come in my oh explained what was happening and they said well you will just have to stay at home!so i had to struggle alone thinking back i should have called an ambulence
  • Thanx for all your advice and support. Sounds like weve all had a terrible time and i feel really sorry for you all.
    When i read your posting Haynrich it made me well up coz i understand what a rough time youv`e had. Like you said nice to know someone else has been thro a similar thing. Sounds like you had much more of a drawn out terrible time. At least they got my `product` out in one day.
    I feel its affecting my life too n that i can`t move on. i just can`t stop thinking about what happened and feel that i never will. i`m so scared about getting pregnant again incase i miscarry n haemorrhage again. Don`t think i could cope with it again. I was very low last week n didn`t know what to do. i feel like i`m just existing in a surreal world n can`t focus on anything.
    Liz51