Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Something special to comfort us

While googling as I do when Im trying to make sense of something I came across this poem, I feel like it's helped me in some small way so wanted to share it. I hope it doesnt upset anyone (it did make me well up). I just feel that for now its given me a little peace for my angels.

"What Makes a Mother"
by Jennifer Wasik

I thought of you and closed my eyes
And prayed to God today.
I asked what makes a Mother
And I know I heard him say...

A mother has a baby
This we know is true.
But, God, can you be a mother
when your baby is not with you?

Yes, you can He replied,
With confidence in His voice.
I give many women babies
When they leave is not their choice.

Some I send for a lifetime,
And others just for a day.
And some I send to feel your womb,
But there's no need to stay.

I just don't understand this God,
I want my baby here.
He took a breath and cleared His throat
And then I saw a tear.

I wish I could show you
What your child is doing today.
If you could see your child smile
With other children and say:

"We go to earth to learn our lessons
Of love and life and fear.
My mummy loved me oh so much
I got to come straight here.

I feel so lucky to have a mum
Who has so much love for me.
I learned my lessons very quickly,
My mummy set me free.

I miss my mummy Oh so much,
But I visit every day.
When she goes to sleep
On her pillow is where I lay.

I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek
And I whisper in her ear.
Mummy don't be sad today,
I'm your baby and I'm here."

So, you see my dear sweet one,
Your children are not blue.
Your babies are here in MY home,
They'll be at Heaven's gate waiting for you.

So now you see what makes a mother,
It's the feeling in your heart.
It's the love you had so much of,
Right from the very start.

Though some on earth may not realize you are a mother,
Until their time is done.
They'll be up here with Me one day,
And they'll know you were the best one!

Replies

• oh hunny

i was sent this when i lost the twins and i agree it really did help me as i am still a mummy, i just never got to take them home.

I hope this helps others

hugs to you x x x x
  • Thank you so much for this lovely poem, it did make me cry, but i'm sure in time i will find it helpful as things are still so fresh at the moment.

I heard a Green Day song on the radio this week and most poignant at the moment for me, i keep playing it

"As my memory rests, but never forgets what i've lost,
    Wake me up, when september ends."

I found out my baby died on 1st sept and had my ERPC on 4th sept which happened to be my mum's 50th Birthday.

Thank you laujai xx
  • Oh Lau this made me cry it is the most perfect poem & a beautiful way to think of our children. I hope it's brought you comfort as the words are so very true xxxx
  • Im glad you like it girls. That's exactly how I feel summer I am a mum of 3 & we just didnt get to bring them home.
    Yesterday while we were out doing the food shopping I run into a old friend & the usual questions about babies came up & I really wanted to say well actually we just lost one only 2.5 wks ago they even asked me if any were on the way looking at my little bulge (that is slowly disapearing I mite add!!)
    Jodie I found that in time these sort of things helped me, this is our 3rd mc & when the due date of our 1st approached I wrote a poem & it really helped me to feel at peace. You will never forget your little one & we always hold them within our hearts, the pain in time does get easier & you will find some peace. Hugs to all xxx
  • oh dear this made me cry Laura...was lovely im going to copy and paste it and mail it to hubby xxxxxx
  • God just welled up at my desk.............gonna go for lunch now before set myself off - in a good way though hun image The poem is beautiful xxxx
  • Oh Laujai you have made me cry. What a beautiful poem. Got my bfp on sunday however started bleeding last night and have awful cramps so waiting to be referred to the epu. Have an awful feeling its another mc.

Thank you so much for the poem laujai

xx
  • Im really glad that everyone likes it, sorry it made everyone cry.
    I just find that the words have given me some sort of comfort so I like to share what may help others.

Im can be quite spiritual, I dont have my babies here with me in this world but they know how much I long for them & love them so I beleive they are here with me everyday day giving me strength & guidance to go on.

MrsPies im really sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time again I understand what a scary time this is for you at the moment I will say a prayer for you tonight my sweetheart & if you need anything just email or post a message.

Hugs & love to all us mummys xxxx
  • Crikey, that pulled a few heart strings! I cant stop crying now! Beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing Love Luc xxx
  • blimey, that's made me cry... I mc twins back in August, my thoughts are with you all that have lost much wanted small ones.

xxx
  • Sorry to make you cry girls.

Claire1234 your right our angels are together (I have also lost more than 1) & as much as we long for them to be here they are in a better place watching over us. I know that when we do have a baby too keep it will have 3 little guardian angels looking after him/her.
    Hugs to everyone xxxx
  • That's beautiful laujai.

I am a newbie to this forum so everything is very new.
    It took me 2 days to finish reading this poem as I couldn't stop crying and couldn't bare it but i'm so glad I have read it now. It's really lovely.

Thank you for sharing xxxx
  • Thanks Laujai - I'm totally blubbing now too.

That's a good thing though.

I had my 2nd mmc end Sept and I've only cried once since. When I had my 1st mmc in April 2007, I cried almost virtually non stop for 3 weeks! But it's good to get your emotions and I don't know why I can't do that this time around. Maybe it's because I'm running around after our 19 month old toddler this time and I feel I should still be very grateful for being blessed with our beautiful son.

Anyway, sorry to hear so many of you have experienced this awful loss too, and thanks again Laujai.

Jo x