Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Can anyone tell me about ERPC?

Hi

I have another scan on Thursday to confirm the embryo has stopped growing, but i still have had hardly any bleeding, so I assume I will need an erpc???

Can anyone tell me how long you had to wait after the scan to confirm the pregnacy was not progressing to when you had the erpc? And what actually happpens when you have one?

Maxi xxx

Replies

• hi hun,

i'm sorry to hear what you are going through. i appreciate how difficult this wait is for you. i had a mmc in may - i was impatient so treated myself to a private scan at 9.5 weeks but my sac was only measuring 7.5 weeks and i knew my dates weren't that out, plus there was no heartbeat. so i had a scan on NHS a week later and it was confirmed. the nurses were lovely. it was a wednesday when i had a scan, and they immediately rang the ward to see when i could be fit in, and they said there was a slot on the friday. i hadn't decided at this point what to do, so they gave me info on ERPC, tablets and natural miscarriage. they did say they would need to know that day if i wanted the op on the friday. so i had a think about it on the way home and i soon made my mind up and phoned them back, and i managed to get in for the friday.

i think it depends on how busy they are but you shouldn't have to wait too long.

i had never had an operation before so i was very scared beforehand, but the girls on here reassured me and explained everything that was going to happen so i was very prepared. this really helped me.
    i can honestly say that the experience was fine, given the circumstances. i was given my own room in the hospital and everyone was very friendly. i went in at about 11am, and was told i was going to be first on the list, at 2pm. i had blood taken, and a doctor inserted some tablets inside of me to soften cervix. i was also given anti-sickness/anti-acid tablet. then i was taken down at about 2.15, i was asleep before i knew it and the next thing i remember was waking up mumbling a load of rubbish to the theatre staff! i was in a bit of pain (period pain and back ache) and i realised i'd got a sanitary towel on. i didn't start bleeding until later on in the evening when i started walking around. i was back in my room at about 3/3.15pm

they said that i could go home as soon as i'd eaten, drank and had a wee (to check everything was ok down there). i was very glad to eat and drink having not had anything since the night before, then i had a wee and went home about 5pm. i had period pain and back ache that night but was told i could take normal painkillers etc. i bled for about a week then i spotted for a further week. i think i ovulated straight away because i had EWCM the day my spotting stopped, and AF came 28 days after my ERPC.

if you want to know anything else don't be afraid to ask. you can email me as well if you like.

good luck, i'm thinking of you xxxxx

• Thank you so much mrs_e your reply really touched me, I am usually a strong optamistic person but this is really shaking me.
    I can't believe how long this week is taking... I thought the ttc 1ww was bad, this is unbearable.
    Thanks for the info about what happened in your situation it has helped take some of the fear away for me too. I feel the more I know the less scarred i feel.

I hope too see you on the pg forum again very soon.

Maxi xxx
  • my thoughts are with you! x
    i had an erpc 7 weeks ago! the epu booked me in within a week.

the whole procedure takes about 20 mins and you will be put under general they take the tissue and take it to the labs to get it tested i have not had any results back so i persumed everything is ok.

You will be allowed home about 4 hours after but will feel groggy and emotional! you may bleed up to a week but i only bleed for 2 days and i was totally back to normal in 5 days (body wise)

i have just recieved news that i am 6weeks pregnant so i concieved a week after the erpc which is a pleasent supprise but still very scared!!
    just be careful if you feel your not ready to try straight away! coz i am proof that you can concieve straight away! without having a period!!!

good luck you'll be fine!! xx
  • just to say i hope tomorrow goes ok (as ok as it can).

let us know how you get on, when you feel up to it

xxx
  • Hi mrs_e , I had the erpc yesterday. I had my second scan and they said it was identical twins, which is a high risk pg anyway so that is the most likely reason they stopped growing, something about blood transfering between the babies.
    I feel ok physically but am very emotional atm. Even seeing your post set me off, but thats good coz i find it hard to cry and i do feel better after a good cry.

Hope you are ok, do you feel like your moving on yet? Are you ttc again? I don't feel I want to try atm but not sure how i'll feel when the hormaones have calmed down a bit.
    I feel i need to do something to mark their lives but i don't know what.

Maxi xxx
  • oh hun, big hugs to you.

i take it you didn't know it was twins before the scan? i'm so sorry to hear about that, but at least they could tell you a reason for it.

did the ERPC go ok? i hope you are starting to heal physically.

i totally agree with you re wanting something to mark their lives. and i thought long and hard about this - some people plant a little tree, or light a candle. i wanted to buy a special teddy. i searched straight away but couldn't find one that was "right". then one day we were shopping and I saw Build A Bear shop, so i went in and had a look - and i did just that, build my own bear. i got to choose which one i wanted, put a little heart inside it before it was made, and then i got to name it and give it a birth certificate. it really helped me because when i was, or am, down, i give it a big hug and it gives me comfort. i was so convinced i was having a boy i chose one with a tiny bit of blue on it, and i keep it next to my dressing table and often look at it/give it a big hug. i'm not saying it will work for you as you need something that is right for you, but it helped me. I know Joo did the same thing after reading my post about it and she and her hubby spent a long time building their bear and she said it helped them.
    just an idea anyway.

it took me a while to move on, little things would keep triggering my emotions. it does get better with time but i will never forget my little bean. even now, a few months on, little things get to me. i had collected my bounty pack when i was pg and now i randomly get things through the post which can upset me. whilst i was healing from ERPC though i did try to think of positive and fun things to do to try and keep myself busy.
    i can't get dates out of my head either so i knew when i would have been having 20week scan etc, and i went to a wedding yesterday and i remembered that i had been excited about having a big bump on the occasion.

one thing i did find difficult at first is how differently my hubby and I coped with it. but i realised there wasn't a right or wrong way and that people on here helped me with things that he couldn't.

we waited one cycle before ttc again. i was lucky to have normal cycles straight away. i fell pregnant on the third cycle (august) but sadly mc a week later. am currently impatiently waiting for ov as we want to try again straight away.

hope you are ok - we're here for you. big hugs xxxxxxxxxx