Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Unprogressing pregnancy.. d & c..needed?

Hi Mums, I must say, my heart goes out to all of you, I'm lucky I have a beautiful healthy baby boy, but 4 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant, I had a private scan that confirmed I was 4/5 weeks, two days later I started bleeding, I had another scan done a week later and they confirmed it was an non progressing pregnancy, (just an empty sac) I'm still bleeding and its been 4 weeks now, I'm due another scan to see whats going on as I havent passed it which nurse said I would, said I will probably need a D & C, do they hurt? how long do they take? will they put me to sleep?
I'm sad but I believe it happened for a reason, I was also taking the pill..?
Please give me advice if you can..
Marie..xx

Replies

• Hiya Marie, firstly Im sorry you're going through this xx I had a D&C on Friday 11th after a mmc, I was 11 weeks. This was my experience it could be different for the others.
    I went into hospital at 9am and got a bed around 10, I changed into a hospital gown and a nurse came and took my details and explained what was going to happen and took my bp. After a while the doctor came to fill in some forms and take blood. After another while the doctor came and gave me a pessary which softens the neck of the womb. After a while this gave me cramps which became painful and asked for some paracetemal ( now the other ladies didnt seem to be in pain it may just have been that I was 11weeks) about 4pm they took me to theatre and you are knocked out. I woke up around 5.10 and had cramps which they gave me pain relief for. I was taken up to the ward and the nurse helped me change into my nightie and they gave us some tea and toast. I got home at around 8.30pm. You will need your OH to stay with you and you cant drive yourself home. You need to fast from the night before until after the op.My bleeding is just tailing off now

Hope this helps hun xx

[Modified by: Fran82 on April 21, 2008 12:37 PM]
  • Thank-u, it really does, I didnt realise the process was so long! How long do u have to wait for the appointment? Is there no other way?
    marie.x
  • I was taken in the day after my scan that confirmed mmc, so I didnt have long to wait at all for appointment. It might not be such a long day everywhere, the nurse told me that there was a long list the day I was in and that there had been alot of emergency ops done that day which slowed us down! I though Id be home around 2pm lol! They kept me a little longer because my bp was low too. TBH I preferred having the op than waiting to miscarry naturally, we knew from 6weeks there were probs and by the time I had d and c I was at cracking point. I think you can have medical management too but I dont really know much about it, sorry hun. I was just amazed at how common mmc must be as my whole ward was ladies getting the same op done .Hopefully some of the other girls can tell you how it went for them or maybe if there are other options? How are you feeling hun? I tried to put a brave face on it for my son but its hard being strong :\(