Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can't carry girls?

Is there anyone out there who knows if there is any truth to this theory?
I have two boys from a previous relationship and my partner has two boys and two girls from his previous relationship(all grown up) so we decided to have one last child together. Unfortunately we suffered two missed m/cs on both occasions we suspected nothing was wrong until we went for our 12 week scan and saw our poor babies lying lifeless on the screen, on both occasions the hearts had stopped at 9 weeks.
That's when the well meaning family members and also my partner started trying to comfort me by saying "I bet you can't carry girls" my response was to smile and say nothing while inside I was thinking "Oh aint you the expert".I respect any woman who thinks this may apply to them and it may be the case but in my personal experience I found it quite insulting to think the one thing I had always wanted (a daughter) I couldn't have,Was something wrong with me? I started to think. The best remark came from my Auntie who said "Your mom was the same, she couldn't carry girls either" I just gave her a blank look as if to say well what am i then Adopted?.
I tried to be polite throughout because i knew people meant well but it was hard to not fell angry while grieving the loss of two babies,one of which occurred during the time of the loss of my lovely mom due to cancer last Christmas:cry:.
June of this year I had another positive result which my partner and I took in our stride in case it ended the same way. Fortunately at my 20 week scan we was over joyed to see the baby was healthy and not only that it was a girl! I filled up with tears and turned to my partner who had been referring to our bump as him for the last 3 months or so and said "See I can carry girls".
It feels good to be able to prove all those so called experts wrong and I'm going to name her Chrissie-Leah after my mom Christine:\)
So to all you moms to be who have suffered one or more m/cs don't give up and its not your fault.

Replies

• Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It gives me hope. I have had 2 mc's now 3 months apart and I am so scared in case there is something wrong and I never get to hold a baby of my own in my arms.

Personally I have never heard of not being able to carry girls....it is very frustrating when people are all trying to tell you why it might have happened...sometimes it's just one of those things and nobody knows why.

I am so happy that things are going well for you with a baby girl!! How wonderful. Your story is so inspiring. We won't ever give up.

~ NN xx
  • Options
    Thank you for taking time out to give us hope.

I am so sorry for all yr losses and for loosing yr mum. It must have been hard. xx

I have never heard of "cant carry girls" - and I think it is a load of crap to be honest. People do annoy me with their nonsense.

lots of love xx
  • Options
    My mum had my brother in 1972. She then got pg again and had a mc at 16 weeks. Everyone told her she couldnt carry girls. 3 yrs later she had me.

I dont think that there is any reason why any woman cant carry either sexed baby

BM xx
  • Options
    Hi girls,

Hope you are all well.

Thats funny you have done this post as people keep saying that to me about boys.

I have a little girl who is two and since i have suffered to Mc's. One a year ago and one last week. I had sickness with my little girl and the last two pgs have had no sickness at all just tiredness and everyone keeps saying maybe its because you cant carry boys. It is upsetting me and making me angry. Why wouldnt you be able to carry either sex.

xxxxx
  • Options
    All I have to say about that theory is what a crock of shiart!image

As for your story Shimmy, thanks so much for sharing. It was lovely to read on to find a happy ending so thanks for taking the time to give us girls hope on here. I desperately would love a little girl and my hubby wants a boy. We always joked. I said we would just have to keep going if we kept having boys otherwise one of them would end up wearing dresses and skirts throughout their life. OH on the other hand just wanted a boy to take to the footy. Although it was always a joke between us, we would have been happy with a healthy baby, whatever the sex. And now, that really couldn't be more true.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy with Chrissie-Leah is pleasant and healthy. That's so beautiful to name her after your mum.
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks girls for all your replies, and I'm sorry for all your losses.Its nice to think there are other women who understand , and don't worry within time you all will have a new baby to hold.
    Come to think of it ,I think it's possibly an old wives tale that some women can't carry girls and some can't carry boy's as most people saying it were from the older generation, Ive got my 24 week check up on Monday so I will ask my midwife and let you all know what she said.
    Thanks again girls and I wish you all the luck in the world with current and future pregnancies.