Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

My second uss....bad news!!!

Had my scan this morning. They had to do an internal cos my bladder wasnt full enough to see anything in normal scan.
The sac hasnt grown any more than 2mm since last scan 2 weeks ago and although they detected a yolk sac today there is no baby.
They said they think although cant confirm yet that it was a blighted ovum, which they said is where the cells form the sac but not the baby, i think, to be honest I was so busy sobbing that I didnt take a lot in. They said that they can only confirm it when the sac measures 20mm or over and there is still no embryo, but my sac still only measures 13mm which is why they cant be sure. Im meant to be 8+4 today so by now there should have been a heartbeat and everything.

They gave me the option of either accepting it now and getting rid or waiting another 10 days for a scan and seeing if there has been any change. They said not to hold out much hope cos chancs are its not gonna happen and basically I have to wait until I miscarry. If I dont miscarry naturally then theyll have to look into taking it all away some other way.
I decided to wait for another scan even though deep down I know my baby isnt there, I still dont want to get rid just incase it miraculously grows. They said its a good sign that the yolk sac is now there cos thats what forms the placenta so something is going on but they dont think its anywhere near enough to form my baby.

I feel so devastated, does anyone know anything more about blighted ovum? Is the yolk sac there anything worth holding on to or should I just accept it now?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Love
Amy
xxxx

Replies

• are u sure u haven't got ur dates wrong? if u are only bout 6-6.5 weeks or so thats all u'd see!!! u may not have ovulated when u thought u had!!! have a bit of hope, go for the scan in 10 days, then whatever happens then will be definitive!!! i was too told to prepare for the worst, but when i went back little beanie was going strong!!!! i know that this may not be the outcome, but until u know 4 sure try to stay positive!!!! thinkin of u in this time of absolute limbo!!!!! ((((HUGS)))) rachie xx
  • I am really sorry for what you're going through. I went through a similar thing in July. It is heartbreaking and the waiting is so difficult.

Like rachie said, is there a chance your dates are wrong?

I am hoping so much that everything will be ok for you.

Take care, NN xx
  • Hi Ladies, thanks for your posts. There is no chance at al that I have my dates wrong. The first day of my last period was 28th aug and because I was doing ovulation tests I know exactly when I ovulated which was 8th september so by my reckoning Im 7 weeks today but by hospital(going from 1st day last period) Im 8+4.

So even if were only going off my dates there should still of been a baby there when they scanned but both scans they have seen nothing.

Im still trying to remain positive but I darent get too positive cos Im scared to be told bad news again in 10 days.

Rachie, hope you dont mind me asking but what was your situation? Why did they tell you to prepare for the worst?
    Pleased it all worked out in the end for you

Amy
    xxxx
  • i'd started to get some horrendous pain in my left side, so bad i could hardly move, called my mw who got me an appt at epac, as she suspected an ectopic, did a scan, only a sac that dated about 5 wks (like u thought i was about 7), took my bloods which came back at a whopping 10,161 and progesterone 61.1 and was told that with levels like that they should have seen baby with a strong heartbeat, told me to go home and prepare for the worst (i'd already had 2 mmc and 1 chemical pregnancy prior to this pregnany this yr!), i was devastated, i spent the next few days asking friends to research internet 4 me (mine was on the blink...typical!), and a friend found a case study similar to what was going on with me, and her beanie was fine!! started to feel hopeful for a lil while! i was called back by hosp to get scan out the way and to start a medical mangement, they were that convinced i was going to need one!!! so me and hubs went back, hearts in mouth, completely deflated. sonograper did an abdo scan, could still only see the sac, it had grown nothin in it, but my hubs said i'm sure there is something in it, was told to empty my bladder 4 a trans vaginal scan. once the scan started there was a fetal pole with a lovely heartbeat all tucked away measuring about 6 wks, i was told that because i have a tilted uterus it was more difficult to find and locate baby!!! when i went back for my 12wk scan (i was 10wks by other scan dates) my lil beanie was measuring 12 wks exactly, matching up with my original dates ( i too was using ovulation sticks), am now 17+1 and awaiting my 20 wk scan on 24th nov. i do hope that this is the case 4 u, those days of waiting really mess with ur head don't they?! i'm keeping everything crossed 4 u hunny, i really am, if it is indeed the worst, feel free to email to unload!!! i've been there several times this yr, i know how heart and gut wrenching the pain is, u can cope with the physical pain, but the heartache envelopes u!!! one thing will say thou, if it is the worst lean on ur oh, i wouldn't have gotten thru the dark days without mine!!!! thinking of u and hoping!!! luv and ((((HUGS)))) rachie xxx
  • Thanks Rachie, you just made me cry my eyes out. I went onto the misdiagnosed niscarriage website last night and couldnt believe all the stories of misdiagnosed blighted ovum. I really really hope I also have a tilted uterus and they have just missed my beautiful beanie. I will ask them at the next scan if my uterus is tilted or not and in the meantime I am very tempted to get in touch with docs to see how my hormone levels are doing to give me an indication of whats going on.

Thanks so much for your story, i do have a little hope but i darent get too hopeful just in case, i ju7st would have thought that surely they wouldve seen something after 2 scans. She only did a quick internal yesterday, not as long as the first one and because my bladder wasnt full enough she couldnt do abdominal one so itsmaking me wonder if she actually looked properly.

Thanks again, fingers crossed, just wish i didnt have to wait another 2 weeks, its heartwrenching

Amy
    xxxx
  • i am really really hopin 4 u too hunny, i have everythin crossed 4 u, what i found scary is that if hubs hadn't mentioned he'd seen something they might have gone ahead with medical management!!! pls make 100% sure that there is nothing there b4 u embark on any procedure!!! please let me know how u get on, ur story has really struck a chord with me and i'd like to know how u get on good or bad!!! if u ever just want to unload i'm here, email me or leave a post in one of the forums (i'm nosy and browse thru most of them..lol!!) i'm here to rant at whatever the outcome!!!! wishing u all the luck in the world!!! all my luv and ((((HUGS)))) rachie xx
  • Thanks Rachie, I will definately let you know what happens in the end. Im so pleased Im not the only person this has happened to and you girls have really helped me through the last day and probably will for weeks to come.
    You give me a little light when I feel like Im stuck in a really dark tunnel

Love
    Amy
    xxxx