Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When to start TTC again???

Hi,

I just wanted to see what everybody thought about the "right" time to TTC again....

I know that everyone will have a different answer to this question....esp in regards to being emotionally ready.......but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

The hosp told me to wait until at least 3 weeks after the ERPC to make whoopie and then we should use contraception until I have had at least one complete cycle....

Well...this is all well and good...but I can feel my body is about to ovulate....it's only been 9 days since the ERPC and I feel like I want to start tying straight away! I know this is naughty! Has anyone else decided not to wait for the 3 weeks to pass?

Does anybody know about the risks of trying again straight away? Is there a possibility of infection?

Ooops...sorry for all of these questions! Would be great to hear everyone's thoughts on this!

Thanks

F x

Replies

• Options
    hi i mc late march and was told at the hospital after my d&c to wait at least 2-3 af... i went to my docter a week later n she said there was no need to wait if i was mentaly ready' i have just found out i am 4+weeks and absolutly terrified bt it hapens for a reason and i wont be happy till i have my baby in my arms...
    there is no greater risk if u ttc sraight after bleeding stopped... i ttc exactly a week after yet it took me 2 months to get my bfp!!! #good luck!!
  • Options
    Hi Frankie,

Thanks for your message on my other post. I remember reading your post about your natural mc before I had mine and I totally agree that they should prepare you more for what to expect. Yes, it might not be pleasant to know what's to come but at least then it might not be quite as shocking/traumatic when it happens as although it's awful, you would know it's normal. I was genuinely horrified when I passed the sac. I feel that someone should have warned me how big and noticeable it would be. As I knew our baby was only 4.2mms when she died (am convinced it was a girl, don't know why) I was expecting to only pass something v small.

Anyway, to answer you current question - I am still bleeding but want to start ttc as soon as I stop. Am impatient about it already and worried that it will take me ages to ov again (I have problem cycles!)

We spoke to every gyny, gp etc we met about this and all advised to wait at least one cycle. But when we probbed them as to why, what the risks were etc, it was clear that the only real reason they say this is to make dating easier, and not because there is a real physical reason not to. They also recommended to wait because of the emotional healing side of things but I really feel that the only way I am going to be able to move on is to be pg again. Hubby admitted he would prefer to wait one cycle just for the emotional side as he is worried how I will cope if I get pg straight away but he said he will go with what I want to do.

Sooooo, we will be ttc asap. xxx
  • Options
    Hi I had a mc after having had 2 normal pregnancies and it was a complete shock (as I'm sure all mc are anyway but having had no problems with the first 2 I just wasn't expecting it). Anyway, I have always wanted at least 3 children and am stubborn and like you just wanted to try straight away again so did and got pregnant straight away again. I went to an early pregnancy unit where the midwife was amazing and so supportive. You are right that the reason they want you to wait is for more accurate dates but that isn't a good enough reason when you want a baby is it? I don't know whether she was trying to reassure me but she said there is no increased risk of another mc.
    However, I did have another one and lost that baby at 9 weeks. After that I bled for 6 weeks so that was the only reason we didn't try immediately again as I also had an infection and needed 2 lots of antibiotics. I had a period then we tried again and I got pregnant straight away again and my daughter is now 14 months old.
    What I would say is that you have to do what you both want - I would never have been able to wait and started to work out how many times I could get pregnant and miscarry before I turned 40 (I was 35 then) which was just me desperate to have another baby.
    Interestingly, when I went to my osteopath about my back after my 2nd mc she said my thyroid was sluggish and gave me supplements (thyroid problems can cause mc) and I also took 75mg asprin the time I stayed pregnant so don't know if any of these helped but I got my baby!
    I am a believer in things happening for a reason and although the first time I mc it was exactly as planned for my ideal age gap, month etc it obviously wasn't meant to be and although it is easy to look back now and say it, actually the fact that my boys are slightly older (4 & 5 when she was born) and play with her so nicely and that I got my much longed for daughter (I obviously don't know what sex the 2 I lost were) has just been perfect for our family.
    So yes, I did mc a 2nd time and get an infection but it might not happen to you and if you want to try I say do it!! Good Luck xx
  • Options
    hey hun
    i've been wondering the same things. we were going to wait for one cycle after ERPC to let my body "adjust". BUT we've been away and we were a little bit naughty a couple of times and I'm not sure if I've ovulated but I did have EWCM. so we're going to just see what happens - if my body is ready then maybe it will happen otherwise we're properly going to start when i've had my first AF.
    i guess it all depends on how you feel. i'm impatient! and i'm more determined than ever to get a successful BFP so if it hasn't happened this month (which is probably the case) then we're going to have lots of fun to get a BFP in July.

Hope you doing ok, big hugs and good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi Frankie, I had natural mc last month, and I started ttc straight away after bleeding stopped. I dont think it carries any greater risk, tho this does depend on which website you read! As it happens, I have had bleeding on and off, and have put a post on here as I seem to have bleeding after sex. But I have just finished first af, and am hoping that this will be my month! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you feel ready to ttc, then go for it xx
  • Options
    Hubby and I have agreed to wait one AF cycle before we start TTC.

To be honest, the last thing on my mind right now is getting pregnant again - I am scared of BD in case it hurts and I am really really frightened of getting pregnant again and miscarrying again.
    I'm definitely not emotionally / mentally ready to start TTC again.

We're all different tho - so what is right for one, might not be for the other.

Joo xxx
  • Options
    Just to follow up on this - I think we will end up waiting one cycle now as well.

Mainly cos we tried bd the other night and it was quite painful. Am now too nervous to try it again for a while. Plus I keep thinking I have stopped bleeding and then it starts again so we don't really have much choice.

Although who knows how long this cycle will be - obv if it is long then we will just start bd once I feel up to it.

I do think that once I am pg again I am going to be so so terrified of mc and am going to have terrible time for first 12 weeks. Although I know it will be like that whether I get bfp v quick, or not for ages.
    Maybe being forced to wait is a good thing just because I don't think I could cope with another mc soon soon - I genuinely feel like I have lived in a&e/gynae ward/epu/doctors for the last month and could really do with a break from that as it has got really quite draining.

Anyway, am rambling on. xxx
  • Options
    HELLO I HAD MY 2ND MC 5 WEEKS AGO AND I AM ON 1ST PERIOD NOW I AM GOIN 2 WAIT 4 A COUPLE AND THN THINK ABOUT TTC AGEN X
  • Options
    i'm on day 4 now after my first AF started on friday following ERPC 4 weeks ago. we are going to start trying properly this month. i feel very ready now.
    xxx
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you mrs_e! Hoping my af shows up soon so we can start trying too. Had my ERPC three weeks ago and now I'm also very impatient to start again.
  • Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for the info everyone....DH and I have been trying since things have felt right (bleeding had stopped after mc and there was no discomfort).

So we will wait and see what happens I guess!

Fingers crossed! If not then we will just keep colouring next month!

Cheers

F x
  • Options
    Hi Frankie - good luck to you and hubby.

We have decided to start trying again now - my Dr gave me the ok medically (apart from the normal "wait for one period so we can date you properly" thingy) and we've both turned a corner in our grieving process this week (since coming back to work - has helped us loads).

We did 'it' this morning the first time - I was really worried about it, but it was fine and neither of us felt odd about it!

Good luck again xxxxxxxxxxx