Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Please advise - anyon had missed miscarriage with no foetus?

Just got out of hospital this morning following a miscarriage. When they did my first scan, they couldn't detect a foetus, (and no yolk -according to my notes). There was a sac which they removed during my hospital stay.
As a result, the hospital couldn't tell me how many weeks pregnant I was nor how old it was when it died. The nurse said that it probably didn't form at the beginning, but then why would I have a sac?

Only my husband knows about this because I fear that people will think I wasn't pregnant in the first place. And it is only writing this, that I realise I feel pretty low. Was I really pregnant?

Anyone been in a similar situation where they had not foetus in the sac? If so, how did you cope?

Would appreciate any replies.

Susan:\?

Replies

• Sorry I dont have any missed miscarriage advise or experience, just wanted to say sorry for your loss and I hope you get some of the answers you are looking for x
  • Hi Susan

I am so sorry for your loss. I have had 2 m/c.The first was at 13 weeks where a baby had developed and we found out the reason for this. The second I was 8 weeks we went for a scan and there was a sac but no baby, we were then asked to return in 2 weeks for another scan....which we did and still no baby had developed...so it i possible for this to happen.

Just to let you know (Plse don't feel I am being patronizing) there is light at the end of the tunnel...I am now 35wks pregnant again! I won't say it has been an easy 35wks worry obviously as to every little niggle etc.

But my advice to you is if it is something that you really want...never, ever give up...I am living proof.

I am here if you need to chat...keep your chin up & take care.

Hannah x x
  • Hi Sammie
    I had a heavy 2 week period in December, I ovulated around the 18th Dec, day 23, I then had very light bleeding (unusual for me) on 28th Dec for 8 days, I then took ovulation tests from 7th Jan for 10 days and all of them were postive, which made me think I got pregnant in December. My first pregnancy test was on 19th Jan (3 weeks after 28th dec). So I don't really have a clue how far along I was. I have had mixed views from the hospital - one thinks Dec, one thinks Jan, midwife thought Dec. You are probably right about the foetus maybe being really small, so could be 5 weeks.

I can imagine how guted you must have felt at 10 weeks.

I did have a scan a week after the mc - and most of it had cleared. I felt tempted to TTC this month, but I know it is probably best to wait.
  • That's truly awful about your friend, for the consultant to confirm it first and then for something to still go wrong before the 12wks.

I didn't get any blood tests either, the midwife was happy to accept the tests I had done. I also found out in hospital that you could still do a pregnancy test even you just miscarried and it would still be positive. I found this out because in August I passed somthing with my period, didn't think anything of it as my period started when it was meant to. Later realised it could have been a miscarriage,, and I didn't know, so I told the hospital how could I know in the future if it happened again and the consultant told me to do a pregnancy test, and then I could still come into hospital to get it registered. I think the longer you are pregnant, the harder it is.

When are you thinking of TTC?

It is interesting to know that sometimes you don't ovulate after MC. My periods have usually been pretty regular, anything from 26 to 29 days. I'm still spotting after my mc, which is coming up for 2 weeks on Thursday, so I reckon I will still have another 3 weeks to go before my next period. One which keeps me going at the moment, is that I can have a glass of wine or two at the weekends, which will stop when I TTC.
  • hi, i hadm missed mc over a yearago and on my scan the same happened, they told me the baby had been dead so long it had disintergrated, sorry if thats notwhat you wantedto hear. i till think about it every day but now i have a beautiful little boy x
  • Hi Abbey

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad you wrote in though. Were they able to tell you how long you had been pregnant? With me, they said it could have happened a while back, but they couldn't tell me when it happened or if there was anything there in the first place (apart from the sac). Do you think anything caused it? I keep thinking was it cos I drank coffee, or wasn't feeling well when I conceived and took cold/flu tablets. Can I ask how old you are too - not that it's a factor, but I'm 36 next month, which I don't think helps

Good you have your little boy? That's wonderful though. How long did it take you to conceive?

Susan
  • Hi, Sorry for your loss. I am sure you must be feeling devastated right now.
    I had a mmc in June last year. I had had several scans the first, only showed a sac, the second I saw the heartbeat at just over 6 weeks. I then thought evrything was going to be ok. at 8 1/2weeks I then started bleeding. The scan then showed the baby had stopped growing at some point after the second scan. They could not tell when.
    I had a d&c after. On the up side I then fell pregnant straight away and I now only have 33 days till my due date. I have worried though the same thing would happen again but by now I am sure things should be ok.
    Takecare and good luck for the future,
    Mary xxx
  • Hi Mennie,

I'm really sorry to hear your news.
    I know how you are feeling and you are probably really shocked too. After I found out, I searched the web for info on blighted ovum and missed miscarriages to find out as much info as I could and get some comfort that I wasn't the only one and find out why it happened. I felt reassured by the fact that it is rare for it to happen again. I found comfort in this forum too by both sharing my experience with others, and learning about others experience, plus time has helped.

I was admitted to hospital for a medical management where they gave you pills to help me. I would have thought they would have offered you the same, rather you waiting for it to happen. I was dreading going into hospital, but thankfully the pain was bearable after taking paracetomol.

Try and keep strong. Keep in touch with the forum as I found everyone here is really supportive.

Susan