Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ectopic - Can you help?

Hi all.

You all likely won't be familiar with me, I was a major BE member back in 2007 when I was having my 3rd baby.
I recently rejoined the boards here as I decided to help my friends have a baby. My friend has no womb but has ovaries etc so her and her hubby had IVF to create embies and I had two put in me to hopefully carry for them.

It worked first time and I would've been 6 weeks plus now, however last sunday I began bleeding heavily and ended up in hospital for 4 days having been diagnosed with an Ectopic pregnancy.
I am wondering how long it took those of you who've had one to get better. How long did you bleed for? Did you feel ill as well?

I have now been bleeding for 6 days, though it got particularly heavy again on Friday and remained the same since then. Am I right to think the first blood loss at the beginning of the week was the pregnancy from the tubes, and this stage of bleeding is now what was in the womb?
I have had a couple of heavy fainting episodes and just generally feel poo.

The hospital told me how lucky I had been that it never ruptured and I agree, surgery or worse would've been awful. Apparently it happened too early to cause any real tube damage.
I am gutted for my friends - they have lost their baby and I am gutted that I feel I have failed them :\(

[Modified by: FunkyRabbit on 14 March 2009 16:24:57 ]

[Modified by: FunkyRabbit on 14 March 2009 16:25:57 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi funkyrabbit

I am so sorry to hear about what has happened.

I don't have any personal experience with ectopic but there are some lovely ladies on here who have so I am sure they'll be alongto help you out.

I also wanted to say what a wonderful thing you were doing for your friends and I am sure that they aren't angry or disappointed with you at all. You are NOT a failure - these things can happen to anyone and it was nothing you did or didn't do. I am sure that they just fully appreciate that you were willing to do this for them in the first place.

Go easy on yourself and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Take care, NN xxx
  • Options
    Awe, Funkyrabbit, that it the kindest most giving thing to do for anyone, don't feel like a failure! Thank goodness it didn't rupture you!

I ectopic pregnancy can be pretty harsh on the organs involved, 2 weeks bleeding could be deemed normal but personally, I think you shouldn't hesitate to contact a dr/midwife type professional if you bleed for more than a week/ 7 days.

Good luck to you if you try again for them, take pride in the positive action and accept the negative as an unfortunate step back but never a failure.

I hope you feel better and have a good recovery, all the very best xx
  • Options
    Im sorry to hear your story, but what an amazing thing you have done, for those for us who have suffered fertility problems it is people like you who help make having babies a reality. Like NN say's your friends will be disapointed and sad, but they can in no way attribute blame. This is nobodys fault. Remember you have done a wonderful thing.

With regard to your own health, i had an ectopic last year, i had both lapercospy and methotrexate injection, i have to say i did bleed for 2 weeks , i think this is considered normal, but obviously if you are concerned talk it through. I havent quite got back to normal (no periods 5 months on) but i think this is due to other reasons as well as the ectopic. I have having extra scans now, but please dont let this worry you, as i think this is particualr to me!!!

Yours is a very unique situation, as much as you want to help your friends, your health is improtant too. Im guessing that your 3 pregnancy's went well, hence your offer, but ectopic's are life threatening, and you must consider your health too...

Please let us know how you get on, take care

Gemma

• Options
    Hi, I have no help on ectopic pg I'm afraid. But just wanted to say I really admire you being a surrogate for your friends. I'm so sorry it didn't work out. But I'm sure your friends don't blame you. xx
  • Options
    Hi i had an ectopic last year treated with methotrexate im presuming they used that on you? however i had no bleeding only the bleed i had before diagnoses, but i think i am odd there most girls have bled & some for several weeks. If you're worried ask your gp.

i admire you for doing that for your friends best gift in the world.

god bless & best of luck.
    KJ.xx
  • Options
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I was treated for a pregnancy of unknown location last December.

I bleed for just over 5 weeks until my hcg reached 0, I was told that this can be normal for some women. I was treated by expectant management, which means frequent blood tests etc. My body re-absorbed the bean so I had no clotting.

Hope you are feeling a little better soon and are able to start trying again soon. Please do not feel guilty, there is nothing that you could have done to avoid the situation.

S x
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your replies and kind comments - I am totally in awe of you all for caring so much and for your understanding.

I was "lucky enough" to be given three options when I was diagnosed, which is apparently quite a rarity and the hospital put it down to the fact that it happened before 6 weeks....
    1) Immediate surgery and definate removal of my fallopian tube(s)
    2) Methotrexate injection
    3) Wait and retest after 48 hrs but I had to stay in.

I chose no.3 because I wanted to avoid surgery if possible.
    My consultant said my hcg levels were very close to the cut off point of the methotrexate not working at all, and ending in surgery anyway so I declined that as the side effects sounded awful and didn't see the point it had a high failure rate for me.
    If I waited under observation, if anything went wrong I was in the right place and if the retest showed my levels dropping rapidly, then it meant I was highly unlikely to need surgery as it meant my body had expelled the baby (or babies) naturally from my tube while they were still small enough to pass.

Turned out that was the best thing for me!
    I am still bleeding but it is grinding to a halt. I POAS today, and it was still positive but much fainter then before. I was due another beta hcg test on Weds, but don't think it's necessary now.
    The pain has stopped and the moods, although not perfect are starting to settle a little and I am much brighter today.

Have had lots of thought and chats with my OH and we both agreed that we will only feel failure if we give up and we're wanting to do that so... I am going to offer to my friends to try again but after a few months break so we are ALL over it.

I guess I may be hanging around here a bit then ;\)

If it were to happen again, I would have a major rethink but I think it's unlikely considering I was in the 1% chance of it happening at all with IVF.

Lots of love and thanks to you all. Hope to return the favour sometime xx
  • Options
    Hi again funkyrabbit

I am so glad that you didn't need any further treatment - that is great news.

You are SO kind and selfless to be trying again for your friends in a few months - you sound like a friend in a million! I really hope everything will be ok next time.

In the meantime I hope you are feeling better soon and you all heal soon.

Take care, love NN xx
  • Options
    That's great that you have come to a decision. You are more than welcome to hang about here, we have a few regulars!

I hope it's 2nd time lucky, when you are all ready to try again. xx
  • Options
    Funky Rabbit, Just wanted to say I am so so sorry about the ectopic.
    I hope you are all ok and I admire your steely determination to fulfill your friends' dream even though it hasn't all been plain sailing for you.
    I am having some problems too - sure you remember we were on the 2 week IVF wait together... I have had bleeding (one 'gush' of fresh blood and the rest slight spotting) since last wednesday and have had my scan brought forward... I think they (as I do) suspect it is ectopic. But we will find out for sure tomorrow morning. I am having terrible sickness all through the night too so thinking this is not normal.
    I suppose I am desperately looking for some reassurances on this forum but I can't seem to find someone who has had similar experiences.
    Good Luck for the furture attempt but in the meantime... Take Good Care of yourself xxxx
  • Options
    MrsLizzieK - this is the first time I've been back on here since my last post. Guess I just needed a little break from the internet to ensure I my moods have improved (which they now have).
    I hope you are OK, I'm dead worried about you now and cannot seem to find any more posts of yours.
    If you want, you can email me - link below my post.
    I am ready to go again now, just waiting on instructions from LFC to prepare for a 2nd fresh. I was gonna wait til June but I'm well and fit, and getting itchy feet waiting.
    Let me know here or somewhere how you got on!
    Lots of luck xx

[Modified by: FunkyRabbit on March 26, 2009 05:00 PM]

• Options
    Hi Funkyrabbit,
    I missed your previous posts as I was off line for a while. Sorry to hear about everything you have gone through. You are doing a wonderful thing and am glad you are feeling so much better.
    Lilou xx