Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ERPC - A Positive Story

I'm home from hospital now having had an ERPC yesterday.

I was terrified and cried all day, but it was actually ok. The doctors and nurses were all lovely and very understanding without being patronising (I was in the EPU at Basingstoke and North Hants Hospital) and I was very well looked after. I was very impressed with the unit overall, including the initial phone call for advice and the compassionate and sensitive care we recieved when I was scanned and the bad news delivered.

Yesterday, my main worry was that I was going to have to endure all sorts of undignified examinations. I already felt bad enough without adding insult to injury by being prodded and poked around by a load of strangers. I had read on the internet that a doctor or nurse would insert a vaginal pessary to soften my cervix, but this didn't happen. I wasn't examined at all, just tucked up in bed while I waited to go to theatre. I guess they did everything while I was anaesthetised.

My partner was right by my side the whole time - obviously he couldn't come into theatre or recovery with me but otherwise he was able to hold my hand and be with me all day.

When I woke up from the anaesthetic I had some pain - like really bad period pain but they very quickly sorted it out with extra pain relief medication and now I just have mild period like pain which I can easily keep under control with paracetamol and asprin. I've had some bleeding but nothing bad at all - very similar to the last couple of days of a normal period except it's more watery. I haven't passed any bright red blood or clots or anything distressing like that.

It's now 24 hours later and I feel alright. Obviously I'm devestated that I'm not still pregnant, but everyone has assured me that a 'Blighted Ovum' is a random occurance and there is no increased risk with further pregnancies. I'm trying to stay very philosophical about everything and now I know so much more about what can go wrong with a pregnancy, in some weird way I feel sort of lucky - things could have been so much worse.

I phoned the EPU for advice at 8+1 as my pregnancy symptoms suddenly disappeared - I just didn't feel pregnant anymore and had an overwhelming feeling that something was wrong. I was seen and scanned the same day and my worst fears were confirmed - the embryonic sac was empty. After a discussion with the doctor I made the decision to have an ERPC and was booked in for Monday, just two days later.

I'm gald I went for the ERPC rather than medical treatment or waiting for nature to take it's course. I don't think I could've coped with the waiting or passing that empty sac. I wanted this traumatic experience to be over as quickly as possible, with as little distress as possible and the ERPC has achieved this for me. I can now concentrate on looking after myself and getting my body back to normal, then put this episode behind me and move on. We're hoping to start trying again as soon as possible.

The purpose of writing this is to offer some hope and positivity to anyone who is in a similar situation. Everyone's circumstances are different, but when I was searching the internet for information I felt there were plenty of stories about bad experiences, but not many positive stories.

If you've found yourself needing or considering an ERPC and would like to talk about it with someone who has recently gone through it - please contact me.

Good luck and best wishes to everyone for the future.

B x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,i just wanted to say what an inspiring post,even though what you've been through is devastating you've really described your experience with sensitivity and care. I had a blighted ovum diagnosed in July i opted for medical management which took forever as it didn't work first time in the end the whole procedure took 6 weeks and i'm still not 100 %. Looking back a D and C would probably of been the best option given the fact it dragged on so long but i was so scared of what it all was.I've never had a general or operation and the whole thing scared the hell out of me! I wish i'd of been able to read your post back then as it would of put my mind at rest and helped me decide what to do. I hope what you've written will help others at a time where everything seems so scary and you don't know what to expect. hope you begin to feel better soon. xx
  • Options
    What a nice post!! This will be very useful for others going through the same thing!!

I also had a really positive experience with the ERPC, & was well looked after, I also had a blight ovum!!

But another positive to add to this post is.. I'm now 7+4 pregnant!! I've had an early scan @ 6+2, & saw my babies heart beating away!! So if you've ever had a blighted ovum, it can happen for you!! xxx
  • Options
    Glad everything went well for you - hope mine tomorrow is as positive

Hugs

Mandy x
  • Options
    You are so brave to write about your experience so soon. I had a mc last year (august) at 10wks, which resulted in 2 erpc's as they missed a bit (quite rare dont want to scare you) i am getting to the good bit, i have recently (July) given birth to two goregous twin girls, so just to let you know that there is hope. Also that was not my first MC i have had 5!! I now have 3 children.