Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

1st Miscarriage & Confused

Hi everyone, By my dates I am 8wk 5 days, I have been having slight spotting and minor cramps for 1 week, had a scan yesterday which shows only about 6 weeks, but no visable heartbeat. They told me the heartbeat is visable from 6 weeks. I have not been sick at all just sore boobs which seems to have subsided now, If I am losing the baby how long does it take before my period comes. The doctor basically has told me to wait it out which is very frustrating. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Many thanks x

Replies

• Options
    hi lovey..welcome to BE.

heartbeats can be picked up later than 6 weeks..i think it was very wrong of your dr to say this to you..symptons can also come and go too.
    keep positive and keep strong.
    i wish you well xxx
  • Options
    Hi Hun,

Im sory to hear to this. I agree with clare, generally they say from 6 wks but as my GP said to me they can on some occasions show a little bit later and if your dates are slightly out. Have you been offered a re-scan in a wks time to see if there is any change? If you are losing baby you will have to pass the pg before you have a proper period. It may start with some spotting & cramps & get then get heavier. Have you been offered any follow up advice hun or appts as to how you want to manage it if you are mc? xxx
  • Options
    Tijoli I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.

I suffered my 2nd MC earlier this month at, I started brown discharge at 6+2 which then got heavier and red at 6+4, when my husband was phoning the Early Pregnancy Unit to try and get me a scan the midwife was asking for how far I was specifically because at that time a couple of days would make all the difference. She said that heartbeat is normally visible from 6 1/2 weeks but it can be later so for your dr to say its 6 weeks exactly is a bit misleading. Symptoms can come and go.

Is there any chance your dates are wrong? i hope this is the case for you. xx
  • Options
    Thankyou all for your replies, it is nice to know that there are people out there that can comfort you with only words! I did have a blood test yesterday to check my levels to see what was going on so I will find out in a couple of days if nothing presents itself first. Fingers crossed. I just find it strange that I have only had slight spotting "brown" on only three occasions over 8 days. I thought that if I was miscarrying it would have happened by now. I guess we are all different. I will let you know the outcome shortly. Thanks again and love to you all! xx
  • Options
    really hope that the blood results come back ok, and that it turns out ok, early scans can be wrong especially if you have a tilted uterus as its much harder to see whats going on inside , or like the others say could your dates be slightly off, hope everythings ok love Luc xxx