Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

1st pregnancy - 1st miscarriage

Hi

Not really sure what to write as this whole thing is very fresh in my mind. Yesterday in my happy little world I was 5+5 in my pregnancy and today I am bleeding. Started yesterday morning with a slight brown discharge - phoned my midwife and was told it was too early for a scan and to sit tight and see what happened. Nothing else all day until approx 8pm when I wiped and it was brown sorry if TMI! Come around 10.40 last night it was red when I wiped and I went into panic overload! Rang my nearest hospital to be told to ring my out of hours gp, spoke to a lovely lady who tried the reassure me that it would be ok and told me to contact my GP in the morning,

Woke up this morning and back to brown, contacted my gp (at 8.20 am) and spoke to the snotty receptionist what felt like a hundred times (do people NOT understand how upsetting it is to be pregnant and bleeding) Got an appointment at early pregnancy unit for Fir morning. Come dinner time today Im bleeding what feels like a period so it seems ive probably miscarried, i'm so upset.

Just needed to let it out I think, still have to go on Fri to be checked but I know they are going to tell us we have lost our baby

L xx

Replies

• Hi

yeah phoned the gp back when the bleeding changed and was told id have to wait until friday to be seen.

What is EPU?

Thanks

l x
  • have spoken to them and they are advising me to go to A&E if im worried and take it from there...

Not sure what to do, they dont have any earlier scans available

Just so upset, only known a fortnight and was soo looking forward to it all - what did I Do wrong???
    L x
  • Aw Loulou this is terrible.
    You didn't do anything wrong and this is simply just the worst, unluckiest situation to find yourself in.
    If you are worried and don't think you can hold on til Fri then I would go to the A&E. I am not sure what the would do for you there but I undertand the need to get things sorted asap. THe feeling that you can't do anything about this is the worst.
    I had my first mc with my first pregnancy last week. The whole experience is horrible but you need to get seen to find out what is going on before giving up hope.
    I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of love.
    xxxxxxxxxx
  • Really sorry to hear you're going through this, I miscarried at 5+6 last week so I know what you're going through. When I had a scan they couldn't see anything as it was too early, I think at this stage the EPU is more likely to take blood 48 hours apart to check on whether your hormone are rising/falling.

Whatever happens take care of yourself and remember we're here if you need to talk xx
  • Hi MrsDAO, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, you sound so strong in your post. Ive came home from work today telling them im feeling unwell - they didnt even know I was expecting, been advised to have the rest of the week off but unsure what to say to them - prob the least of my worries eh?!

Not got any pain at the mo but did have this afternoon, I just dunno what to do - my partner works away

l
    x x x x
  • Hi Loulou,
    Thanks for saying I sound strong!! I don't feel it but I think that my misery has become more manageable over the last week!!
    Forget about work - just phone in and say you're sick (no explanation needed but if they make one up) and take the rest of the week off. That will get you through until Friday without having to tell them anything. See what happens then and you will have had time to decide what to tell people.
    I went back to work on Mon after being off 10 days (1 week was mid-term beak though). I ended up telling several colleagues as I was due to go on a big holiday the week of the mc and wasn't allowed fly. So they were all asking for pics etc and I simply didn't have the energy to lei. It wasn't too bad and now, 3 days later, it's as if everyone has forgotten!!
    So don't worry about work, worry about yourself and your oh. You 2 are more important that any job.
    xxxx
  • You do sound strong and corny as it sounds suppose time heals. Keep going through total calmness to utter shock and dispair. Contacted work and said I wouldnt be back until Monday so dont have to worry about ringing in tomorrow or Fri, looking forward to my other half coming back from work tomorrow night tho - feels like I'm going through it alone at the mo as I cant help him and he cant help me.

Suppose the ridiculous thing is that I was one of these niave people that thought once i was pregnant everything would be fine - been happily planning telling peeps at 12 weeks and looking at nursery furniture and bedding stuff too - BAD MOVE!!!!

I'm sure i'll feel better by Monday thinking I should try and get an earlty night but its the knowing that every time you go to the toilet theres the sign of a failed pregnancy.

Hope all is well for you, suppose after the MC part you start the whole TTC again oh what fun, then probably the most nervous pregnancy you can have once you have conceived, I wish both you Mrs DAo and ,yself all the luck!

Keep in touch, thinking of you

L
    xxxx
  • ended up rambling there !!
  • Thanks Loulou,
    Well done for ringing in til Mon. The stress of ringing in every morning is simply not worth it! I didn't realsie your OH was away. Hope you're ok tonight and remember to keep writing and chatting on here!
    I have EPU tomorrow morning to find out what the story is (I had a natural mc at home so this is a follow up - I've no idea what to expect!) so I should be on BE tomorrow daytime if you need to chat
    xxxx
  • Thanks Mrs DAO, Really hope all goes ok for you today. I have to go in to the EPU tomorrow and im terrified of what is going to happen to me - yesterday I hadnt evwen given a thought as to what they would do! Bleeding seems lighter this morning but suspect its cos ive been lying down all night - slept surprisingly well - all that crying must have knocked me out!!

Let me know you are ok and how it goes - will be thinking of you

L
    xxxx
  • Hi Loulou,
    I wasn't on line yesterday so just catching up.
    So sorry to hear you are going through this. I too am still trying for our first baby. It is a hideous thing to happen. Until you have a MC you have no reason to think you would MC. All very shocking and upsetting. I don't know if they have told you, but sadly it is very common, 1 in 4 or 5 pregnancies don't make it to full term. That doesn't help with the pain you feel though! You haven't done anything to cause this. 50-60% of MC are caused by a chromosomal problem with the egg or sperm resulting in MC. If you think of it as building a wall, if some blocks at the bottom are missing the wall isn't strong enough and so will eventually fall over.
    As I said, all that doesn't make this any easier or the pain any less harsh. As you said, time does help but you won't ever forget your wee one. One thing I have learnt from my 2 MC is to give your self time to heal. Don't feel that you need to push yourself to go back to work. I was stund by how long it took me to get back to 'normal' emotionally (although I don't think I will ever be the same as I was). It is only 1 week since my 2nd MC and so am still quite raw. I would recommend asking your Dr to sign you off next week too. I spent the first few days in shock then the next week feeling devastated. Hope your apt today goes as well as can be expected.
    Take care and we are always here should you want to chat.
    Lilou x
  • Hello Loulou. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have had two m/c and nothing can prepare you for your first one. You know the stats but you just dont think they will apply to you - i think its just human nature, if you worried about the bad things happening all the time you would never get out of the door!

I hope everything goes ok for you today and will be thinking of you. You wil find so much support on here. xxxx
  • Hi loulou,
    How are you feeling today? I'm glad you got a good sleep honey, and hope that you get htrough today ok.
    xxx
  • Hi MrsDAO

Im up and down today, been looking through some old photos with parents so seems to passing time til husband comes home!!

Its like an instant thing when I become upset, just comes over me. A couple of the girls from work have text me to see if im ok but they dont know so feel akward about lying to them but not spilling til im ready!

How have things gone for you this morning? Ok I hope?

L
    xxx
  • HI loulou,
    All went well for me today thanks - it's all in my other post (very long!).
    I had the exact same problem with the girls from work texting me. I actually just ignored them for the most part as it took me a good week to feel ready to talk to anyone else about it. They all understood once they found out.
    It's really hard. I am still crying but in a more controlled fashion. I had to go home and wait for my mc for over a week so got a lot of tears out then. I've cried and cried for the last 2/3 weeks but it's definitely easier to control now. I seem to recover from the sudden tears and they are coming less and less frequently so don't worry - you won't be like this forever.
    xxx