Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Misscarriage or ectopic???????

I am hoping that maybe if I post this that I may be able to come to terms with what is happening at the moment......and maybe if I can get anwers that I feel that the hospital/midwifes are not willing to say or even help me in the way that I am feeling at this present time.
I know by reading some of the posta that i am not the first to ever experience this and would be grateful for any women who are willing to talk to help me at this time....
in the last year i have had 2 MC - which were early MCs and i was told to go home rest, and take a pain killer for the pain and let nature take its course. All very well for them to say that when you have other children at home etc etc...and i never had no follow ups to make sure i was ok etc which really upset me and i felt that they or anyone actually cared. however feb 09 i decided that i would give up on having a baby with my husband and went to the docs to get some con.pills.....however when i was able to get an appointment with my doctor i had already started my period for that month, and she told me to wait till the first day of my next period. which this period never came....i done a clear blue test(the one that state when you concieved) and it came up straight away. I was happy but also very worried, you see after the last 2 MC s i really knew that i would not be able to cope with another. However things at home with my husband are the best and he is not the father of my girls - we have been wanting our own baby. he as children with his ex - of whom as been nothing but a pain in the ass really, and it as led us to take her to court so that we can have contact and weekend contact (of which this weekend contact starts tomoz)....so you can see that i have not had the best year so far-my MCs were end of last year.
however this week i was 12 weeks(by midwifes records-i made it 13 weeks)......over the last month i have gain a nice tidy bump, and gave my gym up as i wanted to be carefull till after the 12 week........again this was because of the MCs i had last year, so understandable. we decided not to tell many people till we made it passed that danger zone. which was very hard with having a bump and not gaininng anywhere else.
however i had my first dating scan yesterday booked....3pm....
yesterday morning i woke up at 5am to finding blood on my sheets , went to the bathroom, cleaned myself and thought the worst. i got back in to bed and sat there and i lost a lot more blood i woke my husband, as i now am freaking out.i led there for a hour with a pad in and rung my midwife up, she said as i had the first scan later that day to wait and see what is going on then. this did not make me feel good as i was fearing the worst. i fell back to sleep , when i woke i had a pad full of blood, and when i went to the toilet i was losing clots.....
i had no bad pain, more of discomfort really. we counted down to scan, i prayed and had my fingers crossed as we walked into that scan room.....i led there watching the screen, and knowing from when i have had children in the past that something wasnt right. mindyou even the lady scanning also was showing concern on her face. she asked if i was the weeks that they were saying, i said yes there is a week but end of feb was my last period. she stated that she needed to do a internal scan, i agreed.
she then stated that there is a sac there but no baby, which could mean that i am having a ectopic pregnacy, or miscarriage or even early pregnacy then i thnk-which the last was very un likely as of the dates. being upset by what she said , i knew that something wasnt right that morning with the bleeding.
we were led into a private room, where this midwife came in and explained that they needed to take bloods to see what my BHCG(hormone levels) are and repeat in 48 hours-so that they can rule out if it is a miscarriage or ectopic.....i explained that this following tuesday evening we fly to spain and that i really do not want to cancel my holiday-after the total crap that we/i have had to deal with in this year i am not cancelling it. she walked out the room and came back in and said that the blood results would be back by fri dinner time and i can be in surgery on saturday.
my thoughts racing through my mind at that time whilst crying was if they know its one of them things why cant they deal with it now. they were sending me home, to deal with this and hang on.
so we left the hospital.when i got home i cried more, i rang my mum etc and explained-which no one knows what to say.to make it harder i live miles away from any of my family and friends.
i now am worrying about myself and also my family, we are going on hol on tuesday-of which is a desreved holiday-i have been counting down to this, and even had to change my clthes inside my suitcase for new maternity clothes, we have my husbands kids here at the weekend of which i feel is very unfair to them and me really as i am not really coping well myself and either way what ever has happened i will be in surgery on saturday.
i have rung the early pregnacy today to see what my results were from yesterday she stated that they werent really telling her anything-as they were in 1200 odd??????and that friday maybe able to tell more-and nothing will be done till then.
i also had to call out a doc today for my youngest as she as a high temperture etc......and the doc said that she felt that with the bleeding that i have had a misccariage, and for the baby to not be in the sac that it died a few weeks ago as from the bleeding in the morning til the scan time wasnt long enough for the baby to disappear, and for the fact i would be 12/13 weeks this week if i was having a ectopic pregnacy that i would be in a great deal of pain???i know from some of friends who have dealt with this they couldnt walk etc and was noticed early. also the doctor stated that the sac wouldnt be where it is for ecptoic-but the midwife i spoke to said that sometimes a sac can be in the uterus and baby in tubes?????
i am not in a great deal of pain, in fact it is more like a heavy period feeling down there-discomfort. but this as only started since that blood loss yesterday morning?????

i just feel so low, and feel different from the other MCs is this because i was further and was preparring with the clothes etc.....i keep trying to think what have i done wrong?i have been drinking coffee more so lately as it made me feel less sick...i keep thining is it the stres that i have had to deal with?is it???no matter what i think it as happened i know. and i need to deal with this but it is hard-very hard.

is there anyone that as been in the same situtation who can help me and guide me please.

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I can't be a lot of use as this is all quite new to me but really feel for you. It doesn't sound ectopic from what I have read, as I think as you said they tend to show up before 12 weeks. Whatever you do, don't think that it is anything you have done. It is NOT your fault at all, there is nothing you could have done to prevent it.

Sending hugs, take care of yourself and do what you feel is right about the holiday, put yourself first for once. xxx
  • Options
    Hi,
    I have been in a similar situation. I went yday for my scan, and she did it, and just said well ther's nothing there, soem shading. you've either m'carried, or u r ectopic. she asked if i ave bled, i said spotted, not bled. and then she was like you need to talk to your gp... bye. she nearly pushed me out of the room, and all i faced were lots of people looking at me. yes, i have pains but apparently they wre "normal"ones for pregnancy.
    i feel so thick it's untrue.
    Am i ectopic or have i miscarried?
    hope your holiday was a nice as it could be.
    S xx
  • Options
    Hi
    very sorry you have having to go through all this (again) I can only give you my experience re ectopic - I bled from 5 weeks daily, pain in abdomen and shoulder tip pain are an indication - ectopics are usually picked up between 6-10 weeks - an internal scan showed mine - everyone is different and I hope you get some clarification and answers soon
    Daisyx
  • Options
    hi so sorry to read your story, it sounds like you are going through so much in life, not only by having to deal with the pain of miscarriages. I really do wish you all the best.

If it's any help, I've been doing lots of reading about HCG levels, and if your recent one was 1200, that is very low for 12 weeks of pregnancy as it should be in the 10's-100's of thousands by then. You usually need 2 done a few days apart to see if it's doulbing for it to tell you anything. However I feel that your one result is low. It's often indicative of a failing or failed pregnancy. in early pregnancy, if the NCG is 2500+ then they expect to see a sac and fetal pole (early baby), with you low level, that's maybe why all they can see is the sac. It sounds like - with my novice experience that despite the changes you felt and saw in your body, the baby maybe never have developed beyond an empty sac, or maybe did develop further but your body reasorbed it as this can happen. you may well have still felt pregnant as the body sometimes does not recognise this have gone wrong and tries to hold on to pregnancy - hence you having retained products of conception if that's why you are facing surgery tomorrow. I don't mean any of this to upset you with this, but you sound like you has so many unanswered worries., I've been through similar recently with a missed MC at 7 weeks (baby died 5-6 weeks) so I have learnt quite a bit. If you have ERPC tomorrow, you should be feeling ok to go on holiday tues, i felt ok the next day - except period type bleeding.
    I've never heard of sac in uterus and baby in fallopian tube, baby cant survive outside it's sac anyway so think someone gave you false info there.

I wish you all the best and hope you get some answers and conclusion soon. If you need to chat more, feel free to email me.

Thinking of you xx
  • Options
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND MESSAGES......
    since i last wrote here, i was rushed to a&e on thursday evening.as all day i had been leaking light brown blood....anyway arounf ten to 7 i felt a huge crush...i went to the toilet of which was a horrid sight. my husband rushed me to hospital by discussed i was sat in the waiting room for a hour!!!i was then seen by a gynie doc, of which i basically had to cool myself as at this point i was very scared for the fact of what i had lost and feeling no pain-just discomfort and period type pain.anyway the gynie doc arrives and says with what i told him that he ruled out the ectopic as i would be in so much more pain, i know that friends of mine have been throught that experience and they couldnt walk.my sister even lost a friend whom had a ectopic pregnacy.
    anyway the doc wanted to insert that sliver clampy thing-sorry forgotten the name of it but i am sure you all know what i am talking about.he wanted to check that the cervix was open or not...which it wasnt.he wanted to keep me in as he said that i would be seen quicker for a scan.i was on the most uncomftable bed in a&e and waited till 1.30 to be put on the gynie ward, wouldnt have been so bad but they placed me with some dear old ladys that were being treated for cancer....i am sure they thought i was there fpr the same till they heard me crying behind the curtains.however i woke friday morning with a sign by my bed sips of water only-my bloods were taken and i was seen by two gynie male docs-whom were very lovely and seemed to be very much wanting to answer my questions.they said that i will go for the scan and that they would go throught what they would be doing to me, they again like the doc in a&e stated that they were sure that it wasnt ectopic as i had no syptoms for this.however they needed a scan and the bloods to return and the bloods needed to be at least 50% to comfirm it was delayed miscarriage. so i went down for a scan had to be put in a wheelchair for what reason i do not know why when i could walk and my bleeding had again returned to brown light. anyway it was the first lady who scanned me on weds......she showed us the sac and said that it hadnt moved but had grown!!!she was still stating that it was a ectopic pregnacy or miscarriage?????why i asked when i have been told by gynie docs that they feel it is def a miscarriage-she just said the same.by this time my tongue was not being clam, i was getting fed up with this one saying one thing one saying the other-no one actually thinking what i am thinking-my mind was racing with the fact i had lost our baby the baby that we longed for.....however i was wheeled back to the ward,which to find they have now nil by mouth me.....i wouldnt have minded but i hadnt eaten since thursday dinner time, didnt have time to eat my tea........i was suffering more hunger pains than pain to what was happening. still leaking light brown blood which was slowing down fast and the discomfort which i couuld handle as it was like a period pain.
    i waited for the blood results. the doc came to my bed and told me that they had dropped from 12thousand odd and was now 7thousand odd which wasnt 48hours and they were sure that it being 42 hours on the bloods that the bloods would be lower in 6 hours time.my hormone levels had dropped a great deal too.......so they were happy to rule out that i was def not having a ectopic.....which in some way gave me some relief-i know that sounds weird but it did help me mentally to know that i was holding my baby in the tubes. they think that the baby would have died a few weeks back and that it had disolved. my sac was 18mm on weds and friday morning was 21.7mm the docs believe that the blood was being stored in the sac for it to grow that much in a few days. i was explained that i needed to have a ERPC (d&c) to clear what was left.i was told that there was a long wait but i was prepared for that, and they needed me to seen as a emergancy as they worried about my hormones dropping so quickly and the cervix not open. so i agreed and waited, at 5pm one of the nurses told me that they had ring down to see where i was on the list there were 3 more before me and the list would vary as what needed to be done to people in order of emergancy.at this point i cried more as i could hear the others eating around me and i was hungry i was having more hunger pains than anything.my mind was all over the place, i was still led there thinking whats and whys etc, i was also worried for my husband it was his birthday yesterday and he was spending it with his wife suffering.however i was then told i was being prepared to go down they had a 2hour op that they wanted to do but wanted me to go first, so i was prepared and sent down.
    appartenly it took them 45mins when it should have been a 15 min thing-i was fighting to go off to sleep??
    however i woke and felt ok, a lil discomfort down below but agagin like a period type pain, more nniggly than anything.i was taken back to the ward and seemed ok, in fact i felt ok, so i asked if i could go home, i was released at 11pm......and told to rest etc etc..i have to go back monday morning for more bloods to be taken and then when i return after my hols in two weeks i am to return to have further tests-as this is my 3rd and this as been the most major MC that they want to check why this is happening to me. me and myhusband long to have a baby together as my other children are not his, and i feel that someone somehwere just isnt giving us the chance to full fill our love.
    i am grateful for your replys, and thankyou.i may have got to the route of knowing whatas happened and knowing that others have had the same helps to hear and share. i keep thinking about what and why.....in fact it was two weeks ago that i stopped being so sick so was that the sign had my baby died then and then disolved???
    suppose i will never really know what went on and why......but i supppose i should be grateful that it wasnt a ectopic and also that i am still here alive, i know that i have other children and i am grateful for that and know that there are some women who never have that chance.all i pary that me and my husband can have that chance to have a baby of our own. i am not wanting to even try and we do i fear that i will be on tender hooks all the way, a no win situtaion really.
    however i am home now, suffering with discomfort and tired...emotional, but holding it together i fear more......which i think my hubby can see this.....i am not bleeding heavy and seems to be drying up rather quick. i am able to fly on tuesday, and with out me sounding selfish i really cant wait i really do need this break.......a fresh start a break to clear how i am feeling.
    i will keep you informed with my bloods and tests...and thank you for your replys again.
    many thanx s and love to you all.xxxxxx
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. xx

• Options
    aww carrielou, sorry to hear the outcome wasn't good. We have all been through something similar to this so we know your pain/emotions. I wish you well now, enjoy your holiday, I'm sure you'll be fine to fly etc, just be warned that me and a few other started bleeding again a few days after the op when it had stopped (so be prepared on your hols!)
    We're here and thinking of you. Everyone has the same kind of fears/apprehensions about future PGs. But at least you can rest assured that they are now refering you for further test/treatment in view of the recurrent mcs.
    Have a nice relaxing (as much as you can) holiday xx
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear what has happened. I hope that getting away for your holiday helps and you manage to enjoy it as much as possible. It must be a relief that they are at least investigating and hopefully you will get some answers soon. Sending you lots of hugs, take care, xxx