Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

19week miscarriage and have to give birth am petrified!

Hello, I went to my 20week scan today and found out my baby died about a week ago. I am devestated and so confused. Now I have to give birth on Saturday as lo is too big for anything else. I am so scared and confused. I don't know what went wrong or why or how I'm supposed to get through this. They've suggested a post mortem and said I can have the baby for burial (I won't know the sex until it's born) but I've no idea how I go through this or how to go about arranging a funeral as I'm pretty sure it's not wven a 'valid life' for a death certificate. I'd really appreciate any advise anyone has to offer as I'm a mess. Thanks

Replies

• my MC is only 7 weeks, so what you're going through must be so much worse, but I'd try the miscarriage association. have heard people say they're a huge help, and I think they have local support groups. also the MC leaflets my hospital gave me there was a special gynae nurse counsellour for one on one support. Maybe yours has one?

maybe get someone in the family to do all the research about funeral things for you? You've got enough on your plate looking after yourself. don't try to cope on your own. Take care of yourself.
    G
    xx
  • I'm so sorry sweetie, i don't really have any advice for you I'm afraid my miscarriages have been at early stages. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you - like gemgems says I think it'd be a good idea for someone else to look into funeral information for you. I read in the leaflet I was given that some hospitals do memorial services for lost LO's maybe you could have something there?
  • i really dont know what to say and cannot offer any advice as my mmc was at 12 weeks.

I would suggest that you tried the bereavement forum.

Thinking of you and praying saturday isnt too traumatic.

x x x x x
  • im so sorry you are going through this.
    ask the nurses at thr hospital,they should be able to help you.

will be thinking of you on saturday xxxxxbig hug
  • I didn't know what to say, I can only imagine how you must feel as my miscarriage was earlier than yours. The only thing I can offer is some advice I found on the internet, I hope this helps answer your question.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/family/what_to_do_after_a_death.htm#miscarriages,_stillbirths_and_perinatal_deaths

Take care of yourself
    Kathy x
  • I didn't know what to say, I can only imagine how you must feel as my miscarriage was earlier than yours. The only thing I can offer is some advice I found on the internet, I hope this helps answer your question.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/family/what_to_do_after_a_death.htm#miscarriages,_stillbirths_and_perinatal_deaths

Take care of yourself
    Kathy x
  • Hi, I did reply to your other post but will post here too

I am so sorry for your loss, I lost my little girl 6 years ago (3 May 2003) at 16 weeks, she had just died inside me and like you she was too big for the 'normal' miscarriage proceedure, I was really scared and didnt know what to expect, Firstly I had to take a tablet then 48 hours later I was admitted to hospital where I had pessarys to induce the labour, I honestly can't tell you how you will get through it, just that you will, it is the hardest thing I have ever had to do but somehow you find the strength, when she was born I was scared to look at her, I was afraid of what I might see (sorry didnt know how else to put that) but she was perfect, the hospital put her in a tiny moses basket and did a blessing for her, I didnt know that I had the option of organising my own funeral so I left it to the hospital and told them I didnt want to know, however a few weeks later I had a major wobble and knew I had made the wrong decision, thankfully they hadnt done her funeral and we were able to go to the crematorium then we collected her ashes and had them interred in the childrens cemetry.
    Speak to your hospital, it may be that they will be able to arrange things for you or if not they will certainly be able to point you in the right direction (maybe speak to the hospital chaplain).

Take things at your own pace and if you need to cry/scream or talk then do it, dont try to be brave for other peoples sake. I am here if you need to talk or you can e-mail me using the e-mail button.

Once again I am so sorry for you xxx
  • Hello

I am really really sorry hun, Im sorry that I dont have any advice to offer you I just wanted to send you my love & let you know that im thinking of you. xxx
  • Hi hun I had a late miscarriage at 20 weeks on june 5th! It's the worst thing I have ever been through! The one thing I would say is spend as long as you can with the baby once you have given birth! When Ian, my little boy was born he was perfect, I memorised everything about him! He was perfectly formed just tiny! We had a blessing for Ian, just my husband and I attended and then we had him cremated! Since then we have built a bench and planted a tree in the garden in his memory! Hun if you need to talk let me know and I'll e mail you my phone number and e mail address! Take care hun, my heart goes out to you! Xxx
  • I am so so sorry for your loss, unfortunately I dont have any advice that I can offer either, but just wanted to send my love, I cant imagine how you must be feeling

Lots of love Luc xxx
  • I'm so sorry, hope we can help you through this.

)))) Hugs (((( x
  • will be thinking of you today x
  • I really don't know what to say to help hun but def try the miscarriage association for advice or see if your mid wife can offer any support/advice.
    I am so so sorry you are going through this, I can not imagine what it must be like for you.
    Pleae come on here for support.
    Thinking of you
    xxx