Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Please help!

Hi all,

Not sure where to begin. I decided to book an early scan, which we had this morning, it wasn't local, being just over an hour away. According to our dates, I should have been 9 weeks, 2 days.

She started off doing the ultrasound, but said my bladder was a bit too full and the gestational sac was getting squashed. I was advised to use the loo, then she set about doing an internal scan.

The yolk sac was seen, but there was no foetal pole!!! ie no baby and obvioulsy no heartbeat!! She dated me at about 6 weeks - which CANNOT be right!! My LMP was definitely 25th Dec!! Her report also stated I have a corpus luteal cyst, although she didn't really explain what this is?

Hubby and I are absolutely gutted!! We had planned a lovely day out after, but came home in floods of tears - we can't believe this is happening! :cry:

Decided then to ring NHS direct, hubby spoke to some chap, who basically said it sounded like a missed abortion, and would probably need to have a D&C. We then phoned my nearest hospital, as we have been unable to reach our midwife, and she said to go back to see the doc Monday and that they would probably want to do another scan in a week.

We really don't know what to think or do. Have been on some sites saying that people have been misdiagnosed etc. Has anyone had experience of this? Please help. I will just add, I have had no pain or bleeding, have 7 positive tests, with the CB digis rising from 1-2, 2-3 and 3+. Zxx

Replies

• So sorry to read this. I think the only thing you can do is get yourself an appointment at the EPU for a second opinion.
    I know that it's a nightmare with it being a weekend as they are usually only open mon - sat but your midwife will defo be able to tell you more.
    I really hope it works out in your favour.
    I have no personal experience of mmc as I had a natural mc but the ladies over in ttc after mc/ectopic may be able to give you more advice. It's also a m uc busier forum

Don't assume the worst yet - easy for me to say I know - but don't give up until you've got a second opinion.

Wishing you the best and sending lots of love.
    xxx
  • Sorry to hear this, but dont give up hope yet.
    If your LMP was 9 weeks ago, assuming you ovulated around 2 weeks later, you would actually only be around 7 weeks pregnant, so maybe the scan is right and its just a bit too early to see anything?
    I conceived straight after mc, so didnt have a period in between. Because of the mc, i had an early scan and was dated at 7 weeks pregnant, but the sonographer told me it would actually be counted as 9 weeks because of the two weeks they add on.
    Im not sure im even making sense now, but wishing you lots of luck xx
  • Hi Ladies.

Well today we managed to speak to a midwife, not the one assigned to us who stil has her mobile switched off!! We read her the report over the phone and she said it is possible and sometimes common, to be 3w or so out of date on your dates and not to worry too much. She also said it was good there was the yolk sac and that the report says the scan is consistent with a earlier pregancy, so not to write it off at the moment. What we had was purely a dating scan, which put us at 6w, so may be too early to see anything.

To go to the EPU, we need to be referred by my GP, so going to book and hopefully see him in the morning and get a referal straight away, then go down and have bloods, not sure if they were do another scan so soon, the midwife said they would prob do one at 10 weeks now!! Can't wait another 4 weeks, so am hoping we will have another one mebe at the end of the week.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us and that there will be a little bean who is just very shy. Many thanks again. Zxx
  • Glad to hear the midwife was positive.
    I am sure they won't make you wait 4 weeks for the follow up scan. As soon as you arereferred to the EPU they will make sure that they leave no stone unturned and ensure that they send you home informed and with all the facts.
    Good luck honey
    xxx

• ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) UPDATE (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Hello

Just thought I would update you. This morning we went to my docs, who wasn't exactly sympathetic, however, he did ring the EPU and got us an appt for a scan on Friday morning, however, he did say it wasn't looking that good, He also said it wasn't worth doing bloods, but we pushed for it and had to wait to see a nurse, who then spent 15 mins trying to get my blood, but failed. I have hade this before. She then said we could go to the hospital and try there.

Whilst at the hospital, we gatecrashed the EPU, saw a midwife, who was surprised to see us, as she was expecting us Fri!! However, we said we wanted to talk and get more advice, She was nice, but also did't seem all that hopeful, but she said we can't write it off until the scan on Fri morning. We then asked about the bloods, again she said it wouldn't really help at the mo, but we pushed and had some taken - finally worked ok. We have just rung back now and have been told my HCG is 32,913!!!! This seems, from what we have read, pretty high. Am going back Wed morning to have same, and see what they are then.

Does anyone know anything much on the levels??? We feel this may be a glimmer of hope, but with the majority of medics erring on the side of caution, we really don't know what to think.

We have both been a bit of a mess this afternoon, hubby has been great and phoned my work, I won't be going in, until we see what happens Fri. I'm really scared.... Zxx

Z's hubby here. I just wanted to say that we have been overwhelmed at the support we have had from you. It has meant a lot in this very difficult and traumatic time.... Mr Zxx
  • I'm not really sure about the levels, but just wanted to say that I wish you the best of luck for Wednesday and I hope that everything works out well for you both.

I know from experience how difficult it is waiting for a definitive answer, so i imagine that you'll find the next couple of days quite tough waiting for the next blood test, but we're all here for you if you need a rant.
    xxx
  • Thanks poppygirl, will keep you all updated. Just trying to stay strong, think positive. Its not easy. Zxx
  • Update:
    My hcg levsls havce dropped from Mon to today, which I know is not a good sign, I have twinges and some backache, have scan Fri morning. Am petrified. If there is still nothing showing - what will happen? Will I be left to miscarry naturally or have an operation? I'm so scared. Zxx
  • Aww hun - i was thinking of you yesterday, and I'm sorry its not better news.

I don't know what will happen if there's nothing showing - do they suspect a missed miscarriage or ectopic?

I don't know what to tell you though hun - i'm still holding out for the best for you, and I'm here if you need to chat/rant.

Thinking of you xxx
  • Thanks poppygirl, don't think its ectopic, but sounds like its a mmc. I really appreciate your reply, think I am going to need a few rants in the next few days. Will keep you posted. Zxx
  • I'm going to keep everything crossed for you for tomorrow Z.
    Sending you a big huge hug
    xxxxx
  • Thanks MrsDAO. I'm feeling so scared right now, and not going to be able to sleep tonight. Will post our update as soon as we can. The hug is much appreciated. Zxx
  • Hi Z, I know how frightened you mut be feeling. This is a real ordeal you're going through, and it's one of the hardest things you'll probably ever face but you will get through tonight and the scan tomorrow. The waiting is nearly over.
    Remember we are all here to support you and I am really hoping for a very positive outcome to this nightmare for you tomorrow.
    xxxxx
  • Hi Ladies, well we went back to hospital this morning for our scan. Althought appt was for 8.30, we didn't actually have the scan until 9.30.

Anyway....she did an eternal scan and found a 3mm fetal pole in a gestational sac measuring 24 x 16 x 10mm, which has changed shape as could be expected around the 6-7 week mark. This is a new development, as last Sat at private scan, they could only see the yolk sac. The sonographer didn't seem overly concerned even though our dates are so out, but the midwife said in her opinion, it wasn't looking good still. Standard pratice is if the fetal pole is under 6mm, they have to rescan to check for development. So we have to go back in 10 days time, week on Monday, and should then get a conclusive answer.

We got home, only to find a letter with our 12 week scan date - great timing!!!!!!!!! Not sure what we are feeling at the moment, could this be a glimmer of hope, we just don't know, all we have said is that after this last week, which has been soooo emotional, that we are going to change our mindset and think positive thoughts, regardless.

Hubby questions if the pregnancy was not viable, would the gestational sac not be bigger and would there have been fetal pole development at this stage?

Again, thanks to you all for your ongoing support, it has been a great help for both of us. Zxx
  • Aw hun I still don't know what to say. I was hoping that you'd at least have a definitive answer, one way or the other after today's scan.

It must be very hard, and I guess that the next week will seem to drag for you - but as I say, I'm always here if you need to rant/chat.

Chin up hun, I'm still hoping for the best for you both xxx
  • Aw hun I still don't know what to say. I was hoping that you'd at least have a definitive answer, one way or the other after today's scan.

It must be very hard, and I guess that the next week will seem to drag for you - but as I say, I'm always here if you need to rant/chat.

Chin up hun, I'm still hoping for the best for you both xxx
  • Thanks poppygirl. Finding today a struggle. Just want to go to sleep and wake up in 10 days time....! Zxx
  • How you feeling ZLS?? How long is it now til' your next scan?

xxx
  • Hi Poppygirl, not really sure how I am feeling to be honest. Very up and down. Have been signed off work this week, so jut trying to relax and think positively, easier said than done.

Scan is next mon, 15th, at 8.45am. We should def have a conclusive answer then. Scan last Fri, there was a fetal pole measuring 3mm, so guess if on Mon it is the same size, then that's not good news, if it has grown, but has no H/B, that's bad too, we really want bubba to grow and have a healthy heartbeat. If bubba grows a mm a day, it should be at least 10mm by next Mon. Apparently if bubba gets to 6mm with no HB then they class the pregnancy as not viable.

Its horrible being stuck in limbo land...:cry:

How are you doing? Zoe xx
  • Aww babe - it must be awful not to know either way - at least with me i got answers within a couple of days, even if they were far from the answers that I wanted.

I'm not doing brilliantly if i'm honest. Last week I thought i was okay, but this week I've been really tearful all the time, and feel as though my heart is broken beyond repair. My hubby is really supportive, but admits that he hasn't a clue how i'm feeling because he wasn't the one carrying the baby and because I didn't have a bump or anything yet it hadn't really become real for him. I have started to get back into my normal routine though, and that's helping a little.

Sorry to rant - i'm in a miserable mood and don't want to pass the misery on x

I hope you start to have a better week - I don't really know what else to say, other than to let you know I'm here if you need to rant/cry/chat/scream, and that i've still got my fingers crossed that you'll see a lovely healthy baby at your scan next week

xxx Tracy xxx