Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Am i silly to want to TTC before my first AF after MC?

Hi everyone

I had a miscarriage on Oct 10th and myself and husband want to start TTC asap. The doctor/clinic didnt mention when would be best to start TTC again. Would we be silly if we started TTC before first AF after MC? Would we be more at risk of MC if we conceived this early?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks xxx

Replies

• Hi minkymou I don't think you're silly at all we all want to get back to TTC as soon as possible after MC just make sure that you've taken time for yourself and DH to grieve.

I don't believe there's any greater risk of MC if you get PG the first cycle after a previous. The nurse at EPU did say you could try straight away but it's usually best to wait until a cycle has passed. I think this is mainly for dating but also have a feeling that she wanted me to take time out as I was so upset since she also suggested seing my doctor to get signed off.

Me and hubby felt it was better to wait a cycle, I've now had AF and am about to enter the 2WW. I'm glad that we waited but only you know what's right for you xx
  • did you have any follow up tests/scans? doc at the EPU told me I was safe to ttc again straight away when my hCG level dropped back into normal range.
  • Your not silly at all Minkymou. I think it's normal to want to be pg straight away again. My SIL got pg straight away after having a mc years ago with my niece who is a happy healthy 8 year old!

I have however read somewhere that there is a small chance that a tiny bit of the first pg is left behind which could slightly increase the chances of an infection or probs. Not sure if this is true or not.

I've sadly had 2 mmcs and I had an ERPC both times and was advised to leave it a month each time. I waited one cycle last time and gt pg straight away with my DS. This time, I'm going to wait a couple of months as I found the pg with my son really hard going until towards the end when I finally cheered up. I don't think I'd dealt with my grief of my loss and my emotions were shot to bits. On the otherhand, I'm desperate to be pg again too and I just feel in limbo at the mo. I guess you can't win.

When I had my first mc, there were a few of us on here who'd gone through it together. I was the first to get pg again, and for the ladies who took longer, it seemed unfortunate for them at the time, but they seemed to enjoy their pgs much more than I did.

It is a really personal choice and I guess you've gotta just go with your gut instinct.

Take care,

Jo x
  • Hi Hun,

Im sorry for your loss. I agree with the others, if you feel ready emotionally to start again then there is no medical reason why you cant they just sometimes say a month for dating purposes. Have you had any follow up appts? (sorry to ask just wasnt sure if you had a natural mc or medically managed someway) xxxx
  • Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your nice replies. It means alot to know that I'm not the only one to have suffered a MC. It feels pretty lonely sometimes!

My MC was natural. I passed everything naturally and it was confirmed at my hospital scan. I have to be grateful for that at least. I came in from work tonight and I had a letter from my midwife asking me to contact her to arrange an appt. It upset me that the hospital hadnt informed the community midwife as they said they would. I wish i had been able to ring them up to arrange a booking in appt. Instead I had to tell them that i wouldnt be booking in and that i hoped i wouldnt be receiving any more correspondence.

I think what frustrates me most about my MC is that everyone else i know (9 people in the last year) have all managed to get PG and have successful pregnancies first time. I feel like my body has failed me in some way....does anybody understand this feeling? I really feel like my body wasnt up to it or my egg or hubby's sperm was defunct....Its such a horrible thing to happen.

I think if I'm honest i need to take some time out and really think about getting pregnant again. There is one plus that has come out of this. Hubby and me are very close at the moment which is lovely image

x

[Modified by: minkymou on October 19, 2009 06:20 PM]

• minkymou - I know what you mean about feeling like your body's failed you. My mum stopped the pill and had me exactly 9months later, then got pg with my bro while using the diaphragm (old skool I know!). she sailed through both pg's. I always thought I'd have no probs conceiving or during pg coz I'd take after mum. then took us 8months to get bfp, and mc'd at 7 weeks. sometimes life's just not fair!!

we'll just have to wait for those bfp's and healthy pg's. We'll feel much better about our bodies when they've made a perfect little person I bet!
  • I totally understand the feeling that your body is letting you down - and the frustration that everyone around you seems to get PG and have no problems. I have tortured myself with all the senarios of something being wrong with me or my DH or the combination but I guess we just have to persevere.

I'm glad you and you're hubby are close as you need other just now. If you feel you need time out then just try to relax and take a break. I hope youo feel happier soon xx