Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Going back to work

Hi

I had an early scan yesterday which showed I had lost my baby. It only measured 6+5 when I should have been 8+5 and they couldn't find a heartbeat.

I haven't had any bleeding or pain yet and I have decided for the time being that I am going to let nature take it's course. However I have been told that I may need to have an ERPC or Medical management.

I'm a bit worried about work. Today will be my 3rd day off, I was off on Wednesday baecause I was unwell anyway and yesterday was when I had the scan. I don't feel like I am ready to go back to work yet, but obviously I am coming up to having 5 days off work, and will soon need a sick note.

I have a doctors appointment this morning, but I don't really know what to say to them. I just feel that there's still bad things to come and the waiting is horrible.

Thanks for listening. I feel better for getting all this down.

Hayley

Replies

• oh hunny i am so sorry.

i had 2 weeks off work and really could have done with more but it was christmas week and i run a pub. I had an erpc so it was all over quite quickly though there were some complications.

dont worry about work and just concentrate on you - your doctor will give you what you need off and you may need longer if you are doing it the natural way.

Will be thinking of you and sending you lots of love x x x
  • Hi Hayley,
    Sorry to hear your sad news. It is terrible being told that you have suffered a missed miscarriage, such a shock.
    I think you should ask your GP to sign you off for a week whilst you start to come to terms with what has happened. You will have enough to cope with without having to think about work and what to tell them too. After a week it is very much a personal thing as to whether you stay off until the MC is complete or would feel better by being more distracted by keeping busy at work.
    I had an ERPC for both my MC so stayed off for the wk before the op and then afterwards. I am still not sure when I will return, just take it a day at a time. I don't find being at work a benefit so prefer to stay away. But some ladies really enjoy their work and so like keeping busy. Only you can decide which is the right decision for you. But take time now for you to all ow you to deal with the shock you will be feeling. Sending you hugs,
    lilou x
  • Hi hun, I definitely agree with Lilou.

You should ask the GP to sign you off for a week (although I believe you actually can have 5 days off uncertified, weekends aren't counted). I had a mmc and an erpc, and I had an initial week off, but wasn't ready to go back to work after that, so had a second week.

You will feel lots of emotions, and work will not be the best place to feel them...in my opinion.

Hugs. xx