Forum home› Pregnancy› Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Not sleeping properly

I have not been able to sleep properly of a night time lately and I didn't get to sleep until at least 5 am this morning and was woken by the phone at 7.50 am, why do people do it when im off work?! I could not get back o sleep once I had woken up and now I feel terrible!!!

S
xxx

Replies

• Hi Sweetie,
    I too struggle with sleeping. The brain just won't switch off and keeps ticking away. If I do sleep I usually have hideous vivid dreams that leave me feeling exhausted too!
    I find Nytol very effective though (not the herbal)! And use meditation CDs. And when all else fails a bottle of red wine.
    Haven't got any other words of wisdom, sorry. It's awful not sleeping. Are you off work on holiday or signed off? I am dreading going back to work. Just want to hide.
    Lilou x
  • I am signed off at the moment so its not the end of the world that I cant sleep. At least I am not having to get up and go to work. I am also dreading go back though. This whole situation has made me realise that even though I don't dislike my job its not what I want to be doing, it doesn't make me feel worthwhile!

I know I was lay there early hours of this morning listening to OH smoring away and was thinking 'how can you sleep so easy when my mind is just ticking over thinking about what should have been?'. Its horrible I know and I don't resent him for it I think I am just struggling more to come to terms with things than he is.
    He has never been the type of person to go to bed and think about things and he is also not a big 'bed talker' and likes to switch off and sleep but I am the complete opposite. I seem to lay there for ages just thinking about things over and over again. I also like to chat after we have turned the lights out but i think it just drives OH mad!! Lol.

Thanks for that I might try the Nytol, can I just get in from any chemist? What is it?

Anyway sorry I have been rembling on, just got carried away!!

How are you feeling today hun?

S
    xxx
  • Hi Sweetie. I've not spoken to you before but had to laugh at your last post as i could have written every word of it myself! My DH is exactly the same and I don't understand how he can just put his head on the pillow and go to sleep.

I'm just giving into it and accepting that i am not going to sleep proeperly for a while. This is my second mc so i know what i'm in for. I usually go downstairs and when i feel tired enough go back to bed.

Hope you're not too tired x
  • Hi ladies, Sweetie and littlemo, my DH is the exact same! He just conks out and starts snoring. Even at the most upsetting times! I have found this week (back at work) I have been exhausted, but then can't sleep. I'm awake til 1, 2 am just because I can't stop thinking. Then I wake up really depressed and sad and being exhausted doesn't help.
    I have used earplugs. They block out OH and in a weird way, make me drowsy as I can't hear anything at all and am not jumping at every sound. Lilou's suggestion of red wine also helps!
    I think that this will get better with time. We're all at a really early stage of getting to grips with our mc's so it will probably take some time to get back to "normal". Isn't it amazing how this affects every single aspect of your life?
    Hope you get some rest this afternoon
    xxx
  • Hi littlemo,

I replied to one of your posts yesterday but BE ate my reply and it was such a long I couldn't write it all again lol.
    Im really sorry to hear about your loss, hope you and DH are getting through this together.

I know I just get into bed and think right, im not going to think tonight and I do and once I start I can't stop!!

Have you decided wether you are going to have the ERPC or not?

Hey MrsDao

How are you today? Ear plugs, good idea, I hadn't thought about those haha.
    Its really strange actually, since MC I have found that I am alot more sensitive and I am jumping at every sound that happens in the night, how strange. I wonder why this is?
    Red wine sounds good too!!

How are you coping being back at work?

S
    xxx
  • Hi Sweetie,
    Seriously, don't underestimate the power of the earplugs! They really help me. I would have no hope of sleeping without them. For the last 2 nights I have made OH get up to cheek for robbers! Every squeak is freaking me out. I think it may be because when you get pg, a mc is your worst fear and when your worst fear comes true, every other fear comes to the forefront of your mind and you are more sensitive and worry more? Maybe??!

Been back at work since Monday. I'm a teacher, teaching infants so I wasn't looking forward to seeing all the buggies etc but it has been ok. I was very shaky Mon and Tues but everyone seemed to have forgotten about it yesterday (except me). The kids a re a great distraction and I suppose I'm lucky that I love my job so getting back to it was ok as my days pass very quickly in work.
    It was petrifying going back though and I have been really exhausted all week. I'm off today and am so glad as I need to recharge. Just take your time. If you're not ready, don't go back. Once you are back it's full throttle ahead and you are doing yourself no favours going back if you're not physically or mentally ready. Your doc will sign you off if you are really worried about going back I'm sure.
    When are you due to go back?
    xxxx
  • Hi Sweetie

Thanks for asking about the ERPC. I've spoken to the dr and she, like me, thinks it would be a good idea to get one booked for next week and if I haven't lost the baby by then then I can go in. Last time it didn't come away for 2 weeks (even though I didn't know as i found out at a later scan) and 2 weeks is too long. I don't think either option is preferrable and there are drawbacks to both and I, like everyone else, would prefer not to be in this position at all. The EPU is going to ring me and I am going to speak to them.

Thanks for your concern.

Take care xxx
  • Hi S

I can sympathise with not being able to sleep - it's horrible and makes you so worn out. I am just now, this week, starting to sleep a bit better and this is 7 weeks after my last mc. But like Lilou I am having loads of vivid dreams/nightmares and also wake up in the middle of a panic attack.

I've found a couple of things that have helped me to sleep a bit easier. Firstly writing my blog has really helped to get some things out of my head so they aren't going around and around so much. Also keeping a note pad at the side of the bed is a good idea and then you can write down your thoughts/worries when you're in bed so that they're not just left in your head and you can tackle them the next day. I also always read before going to sleep - something light hearted and nothing to do with miscarriage/pregnancy/babies etc etc - just helps to change my focus before falling alseep so I am thinking of something else.

Hope you can get some proper rest soon.

Take care, love NN xxx
  • MrsDao, I would love not to go back at all lol but by the time I go back I will have been off for 3 weeks as this is how long the nurse at the EPU suggested I have off so don't really think I could get away with any longer!
    Your job sounds really nice, that must be a really good feeling to really enjoy what you do!

That actually makes sense about the MC being your worst fear because if this then happens I suppose you think to yourself that if your worst fear can come true then why shouldn't other bad things happen? I suppose we've just got to be strong and be positive. At the moment though I just feel like it can only get better from here as I am feeling the lowest I have ever felt before in my life!

littlemo- Your right, it's not nice being in this situation at all but it is nice to have the choice of what you want to do and not be pushed into something by the doctors. At least you have been given both options so you can decide what is best for you and DH.
    Take care of each other and let us know how you get on whatever you decide to do.

S
    xxx
  • Hi,
    Yes Nytol can be bought from the chemist. It is a sleeping tablet as such. I usually get the ones that are 2 a night and take 1 instead of 2. If the one isn't enough you can take 2 the next night. They are better if you don't need to get up first thing otherwise sometimes you can feel groggy. But to be honest I prefer that to my brain going 10 to the dozen!
    I too have a husband that has an 'off' switch that is flipped as soon as his head hits the pillow! Definitely a male 'advantage' I think! I used to resent the fact he did this as I thought if he cared he wouldn't be able to switch off. But he seems to always do it so I have learnt to accept it is just his male brain!
    When I was pregnant I had hypnotherapy to help me switch off as I was a nervous wreck about MC again. It did help me tune out a bit to relax before sleeping. This may help you if you find it is longer term insomnia.
    Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight.
    Lilou x
  • Thanks ladies, will definately try some of your suggestions.
    I had less than 3 hours sleep last night and I am now absolutley exhausted but cannot sleep, hence why i'm on BE at this time of night!

Yes NN I am finding that writing the blog is helping to express some of the things that I am feeling at the moment, so HUGE thanks to your for the idea!

Thanks Lilou think I will be heading off to the chemist to get some then!!

S
    xxx