Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Please advise - anyon had missed miscarriage with no foetus?

Just got out of hospital this morning following a miscarriage. When they did my first scan, they couldn't detect a foetus, (and no yolk -according to my notes). There was a sac which they removed during my hospital stay.
As a result, the hospital couldn't tell me how many weeks pregnant I was nor how old it was when it died. The nurse said that it probably didn't form at the beginning, but then why would I have a sac?

Only my husband knows about this because I fear that people will think I wasn't pregnant in the first place. And it is only writing this, that I realise I feel pretty low. Was I really pregnant?

Anyone been in a similar situation where they had not foetus in the sac? If so, how did you cope?

Would appreciate any replies.

Susan:\?

Replies

• Honey i'm so sorry 4 ur loss, mine was a different situation to urs i mc at 7weeks after a car accident but i didn't want to read n run.

If a sac was there u were pregnant an empty sac usually means that the baby maybe had died shortly after implantation so had never formed for u 2 see.

The only advice i can offer you is to take time to heal, talk to your husband or some1 else u feel u can confide in and we're always here if you need to chat.
    Jen
    xxxxxxxxx

• Sorry to hear of your loss. I had same back in Dec 06. Had a normal pregnancy up to 7 week scan, which showed only an empty sac - dr called it a blighted ovum. Dr said the baby never started to develop, but becuase of the egg sac the body thinks it pregnant. Said you can carry the empty sac for up to 12 weeks before body realises and rejects it. I waited to lose it naturally and was worse than a 'normal' 7 week miscarriage I had later. A nurse at an epu said blighted ovums tend to 'stick' more than an embryo that has died, so you continue to feel pregnant. But you and your body were still pregnant, and you still need to grieve and get over your loss.

Hope this helps
  • Thank you both for your replies. I looked up blighted ovum on the website since and found lots of useful info. Chancing of it recurring in future pregnancies are hopefully slim.

Thanks again

Susan