Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

dangers to mother through a missed miscarriage

Hi there,

I've just joined so I can try and get some info on this, my wife is or was pregnant, she is now 13 weeks but over the past 5 weeks things have not looked so goo, she went for a scan at about 8 weeks because of concerns of bleeding and the doc said the baby looks only about 6 weeks but also could not find heartbeat, he suggested coming back after 12 weeks for another scan, this time they say the baby is still sized for about 6-7 weeks and certain our baby has perished around 5 weeks ago, what I am really asking is what dangers there are to my wife if the baby isn't removed soon, she plans to go to the doc in around 2-3 weeks to have the baby removed if she does not miscarry naturally within that time. does anyone have any information on this, you see at the moment we are 10000 miles apart and I don't feel there is much I can do, so I would like to know if she is in any danger if the baby isn't removed.

Replies

• The thing doctors worry about in this kind of case is infection. It sounds like your wife might be having trouble letting go and she has every right to feel that way she is grieving. Still she could miscarry naturally and that is the best way to go really and if the doctor was worried about infection I would imagine he would have admitted her to hospital straight away.

Honestly I would not worry too much if I were you my partner could not be with me in hospital when I had to have my currette and I made it through. She will be fine the only other complication can be if she miscarries naturally she may bleed out but I am guessing she is a perfectly intelligent woman who would take herself to hospital or call am ambulance if she was worried.

I am sorry you are so far away from your wife during this time it must be difficult. If I were you I would trust that doctors know what they are doing and will look after her when she needs it. If you are really worried and she has a family member who could stay with her just incase something goes wrong while you are away maybe you could ask her to do that for your peace of mind.
  • its not really the problem of letting go, we sort of foreseen we were having problems and kind of prepared our self for the worst, if that's possible, thing is, she is in Thailand and the medical care is not quite the same, we also have a 1 year old and no family to help her, its a long story but i cant get there for a couple of weeks and that's also part of why she is putting it off, although the doctor did want to do it straight away. how serious if she gets an infection, would it effect her, would her ability to have more children suffer or her own safety?
  • I can understand her not wanting to go to a hopsital in a different country without you. Try to stay calm an infection is the worst case scenario. I don't know much about them so you might have to google that one. I would imagine it would be treated like any other infection with anti biotics but I don't really know. Odds are she will be fine our bodies usually know what to do when it comes to these things but if she gets a temperature, rapid pulse or chest pain she should go into hospital. If she has to have a curette it isn't a difficult procedure, I had mine and got to go home a few hours later which was good as my partner was at home with the kids.

It must be very tough for her alone in thailand and I hope all goes well please keep us updated.
  • Hello,

I can completely understand why you are concerned.

I can't speak from personal experience, as I had a missed miscarriage like yourselves. But I had the procedure an ERPC to remove the baby straight away.

From being on this forum, I can say some ladies have waited to see if they miscarry naturally, before they go for different management, also reading other info 2 weeks seems to be reasonable. Her body doesn't want to give up the baby, if she has not started miscarrying spontaneously with bleeding. The placenta is still there, and that is what keeps baby and mum separate.

I would think it is possible that an infection can cause fertility problems in the future, and if it gets into the blood stream this can be serious, unless treated properly. But I think this is more likely with a natural miscarriage, when not all the tissue is passed. I have googled and cannot see anything relating to infection from continuing to carry a foetus in missed miscarriage.

I think your wife should be ok to wait 2 weeks, they do it in this country too. It sounds like they're willing to give her body a chance to realise what is going on, and miscarry naturally. She should see someone if she starts to bleed heavily, get really bad cramps, a temperature or rapid heart rate.

Hope that helps, and that it all works out for you both. xx