Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

just had my 12 week scan :(

hi could i please join!

when i went in for scan on monday she asked if i def had my dates right. my last af was 31st oct and i got my BFP on 4th dec. started with symtoms at 8weeks.sore boobs and sick everyday and not just a little. as most of u know i had suspected swine flu and was taken to hosp. later found out it was a viral infection/chest infection and baby would be fine. i asked for a scan and they said no need it shouldn't affect it.

they took my blood and the dr came back and said that it was viral and obviously showed i was pregnant.

i will have been off work for a month next monday as im still so sick.

midwife came round to see me at 10 weeks and said everything was ok no need to panic as hadnt had any bleeding or pain. she said as long as i was still being sick as much as i have been all would be fine.

she did a blood test and obviously showed i was pregnant.

im still being sick was sick this morning. i now have a visible bump that is solid and when i went to drs last week she eveen felt it.

nurse that scanned me was shocked and said the sac that the baby lives in has kept growing and that our baby hasnt developed at all. the sac was clear to see and she dated it at 12weeks.

she couldnt understand i had to get a second opinion and again other nurse said there is def a 12week sac with no formed baby.

ive to go back to hosp to speak to them next tues. they said my body will keep growing and carry on with symptoms untill it realises there is no baby. she said it could take up2 the 2nd trimester to realise then hopefully come away its self.

i just dont understand. it cant have been in my head as i asked and said am i definately pregnant and she said yes its clear to see but no baby has developed just the sac.

cant get my head around it at all.

just looking for info on the net but all american sites saying same thing has happened and some later found a baby. i have no baby i know that we could see just a big empty sac.

Replies

• Oh Jen that is so awful, i'm so so sorry for you. I thought I had something similiar with my last pregnancy; I was scanned at 7 weeks to be told I was only 6 weeks as the baby was barely there at 3.5mm. We went back 3 weeks later and the scan (internal) showed a sac but no baby at all. I couldn't understand it and thought I had a blighted ovum (where the sac develops but the baby doesn't). It turns out my baby had not developed properly and didn't show up at all on the scan so the midwives thought that my body had reabsorbed it.

I know how horrible it is to think you're developing as you should, to then see nothing on the screen. I have a tilted uterus so I was convinced that the midwives just couldn't see my baby but sadly this was not the case and I went on to have an erpc.

Don't think that this was in your head, you are pregnant, it just seems that your body thinks your baby is still developing and is still preparing for it. That sounds awful, but thats what I had to tell myself as I kept on thinking was all just in my head and that made it very difficult for me to come to terms with.

Hopefully you will get some more answers on tuesday; you can ask for a departmental scan which is a lot more detailed than the normal ultrasound scans. I hope between now and then you have some good support with you, it's horrible to go through this. Thinking of you xx
  • thank you for your reply. sorry it happened to u also. i just cant get my head around it at all.

did u have a procedure done what happened?

it took us 10 months to get pregnant im just scared it will take aslong or more to fall again.

we want to try again asap depending on what happens when it finally comes away.

xx
  • Hi pet, im so sorry to hear what your going through. Its heartbreaking. Life is just so cruel sometimes. I hope you have lots of comfort and support around you, and of course we are all here if you need us. Love Tracy xx
  • Hiya Jen, yes I had an erpc (evacuation of retained products of conception); it was my choice to have this as i'd silently miscarried a few months before and wanted to wait to miscarry naturally but after 2 weeks of waiting I couldn't stand it so had the op and I knew that I couldn't go through the waiting again. When I had the op second time round they took some tissue for analysis and found that my baby had a full set of extra chromosomes and that is why it didn't develop properly. The procedure was painless and meant I didn't have to see anything and for me it over and done with quickly, it is done under general anasthetic.

If your fears are confirmed on tues they'll offer you 3 options, to miscarry naturally, be given tablets to bring it on, or an erpc. It's up to you but I wanted to ttc soon after the 2nd mc so the op was best for me.

For the next week just try to relax, I know how hard that is and tuesday probably seems a lifetime away, this will get better at some point, I promise xx
  • thank you everyone for replying. the scan showed nothing at all in the sac its was just empty image

im 12week 3days now and my stupid body still doesnt know. im still being sick sore boobs and just feel crappy like i have done since about 8weeks.

im so mad that while i was in hospital i asked them to check and they wouldnt they said the baby would be fine.

i feel angry that this could have been over weeks ago and id maybe feel a little better by now. ive been poorly since xmas with flu/chest infection and horrendous sickness. ive lost so much weight my bump is quite visible which isnt nice to see when i know there is nothing in it image

xx
  • Hi Jen, So sorry this has happened to you. I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope you get some answers soon. We're always here if you need a shoulder to cry on, take care of yourself, Sioned xx
  • thank you. i can't even get in touch with my midwife ive left messages but she never answers.

hubby and I are wanting to start trying again is it right im ment to be very fertile after mc?

also what do i expect with mc? im so scared. xx
  • hi hun,

glad (u no what i mean) u joined this forum. The ladies here are really supportive (just as our facebook ones are) and usually some one has gone through something nearly the same as u and can offer u some advice.

the answer to ur question is yes most women are very fertile after MC and some have fallen straight after and some have not.

sending u hugsxxx
  • just been to drs. she was furious i was given a leaflet and sent away with no explanation. she also rang the hospital to find out what was happening at my appointment on tues. they said id be having another scan to double check and then further tests all with the consultant. feel a little better now i k...now that something is going to be done. still being sick and all the symtoms and bump is def growing. all feels like a kick in the face! xx