Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I have miscarried at 18 weeks

I cannot believe that this has happened to me again. I had my first miscarriage at 9 and a half weeks. I was really thinking that things were going to be ok this time. I had my 16 week appointment and the midwife heard the heartbeat. I had had some bleeding and went to the hospital at 16 weeks 5 days and the heartbeat was detected and the bleeding I was told was coming from my cervix.

Had some more bleeding yesterday and could not detect the heartbeat on my doppler. Went to midwife and she could not find the heartbeat so sent me to the hospital where they confirmed the baby died around 16 weeks. Devastated. Need to go to the hospital on sunday to give birth. So devastated. I am never going to try for a baby again as I can't go through this again. Why has this happened again and so late?

Replies

• Oh Ellie, I am soo sorry, what can I say??? I assume they will do another scan when you go back in to check and make sure what they saw is correct (I am very mistrusting of some of these health professionals), if they don't offer I would ask for one. I am sure at this late stage they will look into why this has happened. You must be devestated hun, I have had 3mc's myself but all before 12w, I just can't imagine how painful this must be for you. I do know that each time though I thought I couldn't try again but we did, maybe with some time to heal you will try again. If there is anything we can do let us know and of course we're here to talk.

BoB x
  • I am so sorry to hear you have become an angel mummy. I lost my son last year at nearly 26 weeks. If you would like to talk please feel free to inbox me xx
  • I am so so sorry to hear this.

Life is so unfair and cruel and having a healthy pregnancy is something we all assume we will have.

I lost a baby 18 months ago but much earlier than you, I can't imagine the pain you must be going through.

I know nothing can be said to make it better but i'm thinking of you xxx
  • Hi

I saw this along the side and wanted to offer my condolances. I lost a little boy Dec 09 at 18 weeks also- it truly is heartbreaking. I hated- and still hate saying I had a miscarriage because by this stage the baby is much more a person to me if makes sense? We had a cremation and naming ceremony and this helped us a bit.

It's only looking back that I really appreciate how much this affected me cos at the time I put on my brave face and carried on and I tell you it was the wrong thing to do because people assumed I was grand and they didn't mention him etc then I got annoyed thinking they were carrying on as though he hadn't existed. Does that make sense? I guess I'm just trying to say don't hide how you feel- it's a life changing experience but you will start to make it through the days a bit easier. I've since had a little girl (2 wks ago) and although it was a bit quick after our loss, it was what we decided was best for us. We'll never forget Casey but do find it easier to think and talk about now than did a year ago.

I hope you get through this time and feel free to pm me if ever want to talk

• I am so sorry for your loss, it is truly heartbreaking, I lost a baby girl at 16 weeks almost 8 years ago. I was just so unprepared at the time and I truly thought my heart would never mend, I was not prepared for the fact that my baby looked so perfect, tiny but perfect. All I can say is give yourself time to grieve, it really does take time, there were days when I never thought I would be alble to live with it but slowly and gradually it does get easier, it never goes away and still on her birthday I get sad and wonder what she would be like now but it no longer takes up my every thought. I also had another miscarriage in the same year (at 11 weeks) and like you I made the vow never to try again because it was just too heartbreaking, however months later I knew I had to try and happily I gave birth to a gorgeous healthy baby girl, I worried myself sick all the way through the pregnancy and I dont think I truly believed I would have a baby until I held her in my arms, the second I saw her I knew that all the pain and heatache had been worht it.

Give yourself time and dont rush into anything, let yourself grieve, then when you are feeling stronger, review your decision, you will know what is right for you.

Huge hugs, I am here if you need a chat xxxxxxxx
  • I dont know what to say, hunni i am so sorry.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

XX
  • Oh Ellie, I have just logged on and read this. I really don't know what to say. I'm so so sorry, life is so unfair.

Sending you love and hugs, I'm here for you.

Zoe xx
  • Ellie I have not been on for a few days and just seen this. I know nothing I will say will make you feel any better but I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and if you ever need to talk to anyone I am always here for you. Tomorrow will be difficult and I hope they make it as easy as possible for you. Spend some time with your baby and maybe make a memory box of all the ssans etc.

I am so sorry but please remember we are always here for you!

xxx

Sandra
  • Im so sorry hunnie

thinking about you xx
  • I am so so sorryxxx

Gem x

29+4
  • Ellie just wanted you to know that you and your partner are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Sandra

xxx
  • So sorry hun...cant imagine what you are going through prayers and thoughts with you x
  • Oh Ellie my lovely im so very very sorry. Dont no whatelse to say :cry::cry::cry:
  • Oh Ellie my lovely im so very very sorry. Dont no whatelse to say :cry::cry::cry:
  • Ellie, i'm so so sorry to hear what's happened. I know there's nothing i can say to make you fee any better, but i just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and your partner.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Elli xx
  • So, so sorry to read this hun, thinking of you xx
  • i am sorry to hear of your loss. 11 years ago i lost my son at 22 weeks and it was the most awful thing to go through. i still think of him and visit his grave. i want to say as well that i went on to have a healthy boy a year later.

be kind to yourself and let yourself grieve xx
  • Ellie,

I'm so so sorry to read this, theres nothing really I can say but I hope you're doing ok and DH is looking after you. you're in my thoughts xx
  • Aww hun im so sorry for your loss, but this can happen to anyone really.. ive had 4 miscarriages and they were all after 10 weeks, it was horrible.. i know its really horrible but it happend to anyone.. hope your okay your time will come soon hun xxxxxxx