Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

How long does it take?

Hello ladies I started loosing my baby last Tuesday with bleeding, since then it has been non stop. I understand that my body is clearing out my system but just wondered how long the bleeding will continue....I find it hard to start to move on when I am reminded every minute.x

Replies

• Hi Apricot,

I just lost the reply I was going to send you so am starting again, but I'm so so sorry that you are going through this. I had a mmc a couple of weeks ago and mc naturally 2 weeks ago today. At the time of the actual mc there was a lot of bright red blood and some large clots. It was a bit uncomfortable as well so you might want to make sure you have some large pads and paracetamol and Ibruprofen. My mc started as a tiny amount of pinkish brown spotting and steadily over a week this increased and turned red. The one day I started having strong cramps that started off as bad period cramps. That evening I think was when I went through the actual mc. I passed a couple of large clots and there was a lot of red blood. That was 2 weeks ago and it has taken about 2 weeks for the bleeding to virtually stop. For the last few days it has been more like brown spotting. Every mc is different though and I think it also varies depending on how far along you were when you mc. I called my early pregnancy unit the morning after I mc as I was scheduled to have an erpc a few days later and they were brilliant. They advised me to contact them 2 weeks from when the bleeding got really heavy if I was still bleeding and if I still had a positive pg test. I would say if you have any doubts at all then give your local erpc a call. Also, I can imagine that you are probably going through a lot emotionally at the moment and I just wanted to reassure you that it does get better after a few weeks. The miscarriage association has a really good website with various brochures about what happens when you have a mc so you might find it helpful to have a look on there x