Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Could do with some advice (tmi warning)

Hi,

About 4 weeks ago I suffered a miscarriage. I was about 10 weeks into my pregnancy and the sac was the size it would have been at 10 weeks but the foetus died and stopped growing at about 6 weeks according to a scan I had. After a second scan to confirm that the pregnancy had ended I went on to have a natural miscarriage a couple of days later. This was 4 weeks ago today. The actual miscarriage happened in the space of a couple of hours and I had a lot of strong cramps and contraction type pains and lost a lot of blood including some big clots. I thought the last clot was the sac. It was smooth and solid but seemed like more of a grisly texture inside. Ever since then I have had brown spotting. But on two occasions I have passed what I think could be lumps of tissue of some kind. Both were about 2 to 2.5 cm by 1cm. Greyish brown in colour and smooth on the outside but if broken they had a grissley texture on the inside. They are not like nor,al period blood clots. I have no pain don't feel unwell and what comes out of me does not have a bad smell so I don't think I have an infection.

The last time I went to the early pregnancy unit they did 2 pregnancy tests and they both came out negative so I thought everything had gone. But now I'm worried it hasn't.

Is this normal? I think I've got my real period now. The second lump came out tonight and I think it has been flushed out of me by my normal menstrual flow but I'm not sure. I did have strong period cramps for about an hour earlier this evening but assumed this was to do with my period. Is what I have been experiencing normal? Has anyone else had this and do I need to contact the early pregnancy unit again? I don't want to raise false alarms or cause unnecessary fuss but I don't want to hamper my chances of trying again or risk infection by having bits of my last pregnancy remaining inside me.

Thanks

Replies

• Sorry to hear of your mc.

I have passed what you describe with both my mc, one at 9 weeks before my erpc, and a smaller one at 6 weeks. Both were greyish in colour and the shape of a small finger. I have no idea what they were. If you are worried, I would ring the epu just to check.
  • Sorry to hear about your loss. I would say ring the early pregnancy unit if you're concerned and get checked out. I had a slightly similar experience during my first AF after my m/c, when the cramps were a lot stronger and I got some clots I wouldn't normally get, but they weren't as large as you are describing.

As you say you don't want to take any risks regarding being able to conceive again, so take whatever steps you need to ensure you are healthy and reassured.

And good luck with ttc again! xx
  • Hi Pitter_Patter

Sorry to read your post but the girls on here are so supportive & friendly. I have gone through the same as you and on my first m/c at 11 weeks what your describing sounds similar to how mine was. I passed the greyish tissue at different times, I did manage to salvage one as the hospital wanted to send it away for testing but unfortunately as it all came out on separate occasions the correct bits weren't all there. The EPAU did tell me that my normal menstrual cycle should clear out any remaining bits of tissue & not to worry (easier said than done). I was fine after my first period but if you have any worries don't hesitate to call EPAU thats what they are there for.

Nicki

xx
  • Hi ladies, thank you for your replies. I spoke to the lady who would have been my mw and she said it's normal and it's just my first period after mc getting rid of what's left from the mc. Im feeling much better and am relieved I've got my period again. I plan to start ttc again after my period. Thanks again xx