Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Not very impressed with the NHS

Well I chose to get the erpc done and it was booked in for Tuesday. However on Sunday I ended up in a lot of pain (even after taking paracetamol and ibuprofen) and had lots of bleeding. The pain was actually unreal I was crying and poor hubby didnt know what to do image.

He phoned the pregnancy support unit at the hospital where I had been going and they said I needed to get stronger painkillers. They said that he could collect them but they didnt want him leaving me as the hospital is at least a 40min drive from our house. There was no-one else we knew who was available to either sit with me or go and get the medicine. So the hospital said he was to phone nhs24 who would organise for him to collect the painkillers at the hospital that was only 5-10min drive from our house so I wasn't left on my own for too long.

Well... The phone call.. where do I start. Hubby told the nurse on the phone that i was miscarrying my baby and her response was "ok, that's great"!! He answered all the relevant questions and then she wanted to speak to me. I went on the phone although I was upset and still in a lot of pain. The nurse then continued to ask me the same questions that my husband had been asked! image

I told her that I was due to have surgery on Tuesday to have an erpc done. When she asked me if I had any allergies I told her I was allergic to a specific type of general anaesthetic. To which she then laughed and said "well how are they going to do your operation then?" I explained that the midwives said a different type of general anaesthetic would be used however I thought this was a very irrelevant question. She then asked me what the anaesthetic was called and when I said Scoline Suxemethonium she laughed and asked how she was supposed to spell that? I was then asked to spell out the name whilst still being in a lot of pain.

Eventually after the questions had been answered she told me that my hubby would be unable to go to the hospital on his own to collect the medicine and I would have to go too! She also explained that the hospital do appointments so I would have to go in at the next available appointment which was at 5.10pm. She laughed and said "not to worry its only a couple of hours away".

We then phoned back the pregnancy support unit who said that we would be able to go up to their hospital to collect the drugs quicker.

So... I got myself organised and just before I left to go to the hospital I went to the toilet. This is when I lost the baby. image Luckily I didnt see anything I didnt want to see however I was quite angry that although I had chosen to have the surgical method due to them not having any space then mother nature took over.

We went on the 40min journey to the hospital, typically my pain eased as we were going. When we arrived we had to go to the gyneology ward where they were expecting me. I arrived there at 4.20pm. I was asked if I would like to see to doctor or just collect the medicine. I explained what had happened as I left the house so they said a doctor would like to see me. We were then put in a very small waiting room with two other people who were in for different reasons. We couldn't even speak to each other properly without having to whisper and the nurse came and checked my blood pressure, temperature etc whilst being in the waiting room with the other girls!

I was eventually seen by a doctor at approximately 7.45pm - nearly 3 and a half hours after I arrived!! The doctor made me tell her all my story from when I found out I was pregnant to that day. She then took my blood and asked me to go on to the bed with my clothes off from the waist down and cover myself with a sheet and she would be back in a minute. I

Replies

. I was left lying there for just over 20mins!! I also felt as though I was in a storage cupboard as I had several nurses coming in and out to collect things!

I was so hungry and thirsty too as I hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day due to the pain. We eventually got home at 9.20pm. image

Really disappointed with the way I was treated by the nhs staff.I have sent a formal complaint about the nhs24 staff member. The midwives at the pregnancy support unit however have been amazing and I was taken in for a scan on Monday to check everything was gone which it had so operation was cancelled.

Sorry for the massive essay, I think I just needed a bit of a rant!

• Oh my god I carnt even start to emagine what you went through hope your ok take care. X
  • Goodness, that sounds truly appalling! So sorry for your loss, but also sorry for the terrible way it was dealt with image

Sending hugs xx

• Mrs alexander that is absolutely disgusting! To think of what you are already going through and having to put up with that is shocking. I'm glad you put a formal complaint in, what a horrible way to treat someone going through such a hard time. You take care of yourself huni, sending you massive hugs. X x x
  • Hey Mrs Alexander

I was so so sorry to see this post and to see you had gone through this. After going through mine over Easter I know how dramatic it is and definately made worse by the treatment you recieved. I think 100% you did the right thing to complain to the hospital and I think next time you are pregnant you should get the midwife to note it on your file and get an early scan. I was in hospital for 3 days after having a hemorrage and the staff were fantastic but I still felt awful so I can't imagine how you felt.

How are you feeling now? Also did they say anything about what you would pass? I wasn't warned so it was a massive shock. I hope that you are doing ok x x x