Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

awful shock at 12 week scan

hi can i join you? im in the din forum but on Thursday i had my twelve week scan and sadly didnt have a good result image they did an ultrasound and an internal but were only able to find an empty sac measuring 7-9 weeks. i feel so lost as i had no indication until then that anything was wrong and am scared about what will happen next. they wouldn't confirm it was a mmc as they want me to go back for another scan in a week in case i got my dates wrong. however i know this is highly unlikely as i was keeping a record of my cycles which were regular 28 days. so in my heart i know it is over image i feel so lost and am really worried Im going to stArt bleeding heavily suddenly. i had a little yellow spotting today but really nothing at all but my lower back has started aching like period pain.so so scared.

Replies

• oh devon_mummy i really feel for you literally the same thing happened to me last september i had a missed miscarriage too, the sac was there but no baby in it...it was a big shock, and then we had to wait a week too to see if there is any change but of course we knew there can't be....i don't understand why can't they just believe you if you are regular and you know your dates!! it really annoyed me at the time as we haven't even bd'd at all because we were so careful in those early weeks and to make me wait a whole week was a torture and i was so scared to miscarry naturally....but thankfully i didn't even though i bled quite a lot and then had a d&c which was the best decision!! it was over really quick and i only had light spotting for a few days after and my period returned exactly 28 days later. i do hope you'll be well looked after!!! sending lots of hugs xxxx

• Hi so sorry to read this take care. Xxx
  • hi HopeBeanSticks, thank you so much for your reply. Im so sorry to hear that you have been through the same thing. It really is awful to go from being excited to have your scan to be told its actually been over for several weeks. I am so scared that the mc might happen naturally before i got back to the hospital next week. I had a threatened mc when i was ten weeks pg with dd and there was so much blood I really dread to know what will happen with the real thing image im so worried that it will happen at work as im only a temp at the mo and dont really know anyone well enough if anything happens and I also dont get paid sick leave cos i havent been there for three month yet. The hospital didnt tell me what to expect (they were really evasive about talking about mc) so ive been looking a bit online. I thinking that the D&C route may be the best as i just want to get it al lover now so I can try to get back to normal, but im so scared that something could go wrong and I wont be able to have any more children.

How are you feeling now?  I know its only been two days since I found out but im finding it so hard and not coping too well. hubby is great but although I know he is doing the caveman thing and bottling it up i know he is in pieces too.  I keep breaking down and crying and I feel really bad as, even though im trying to hide it from her,  i think my 23 months old  daughter  is picking up on it ( she keeps saying "mummy im not sad" and cuddling me and then she started crying during Charlie and Lola this evening as it was about an ogre who was sad becuase he couldnt sleep and when I asked her what was wrong she said "boy sad, he crying").  We went food shopping in Tesco today and i got upset in the baby aisle as I realised that the only thing we buy there now is nappies and felt insanely jealous when I saw a pregnant woman as I was thinking "that should be me".  Im having to wear matrenity jeans as i already had a little bump and im so worried ill bump into someone I know and theyll notice and then it will be really awkward cos ill have to explain that im actually not expecting, I really hope that once it is all over I will be able to cope better,  I know im still emotional and full of pregnancy hormones so that probably doesnt help.

• Hi, sorry to hear you are going through that. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I don't want to alarm or frighten you but you are not wrong... I would try and stay in, it happened to me and was traumatic. I won't go into details but I ended up losing too much blood and rushed to hospital. I would advise that if you start to bleed, even if only lightly, go home. Hope it holds off until your appointment though. Xx
  • started having bright red spotting so come home from work. its hardly anything, just when i wipe (sorry if tmi) but scared it could get more suddenly so come home home to rest image not sure whether to call hospital or to wait til gifts worse
  • Hi devon mummy just wanted to say thinking of you , you def done the right thing going home to rest. Maybe call the hosp and explain your fears and what is happening , they should be able to see you before thursday.

I am currently going through early miscarriage and bleeding was pretty heavy yest , i was wary of going out for fear of bleeding too much so i understsnd that part.

Big hugs

Xxxxx
  • hi mummy060409, so sorry to hear you are going through the same thing, Really hope it ends soon and you are ok xxx I called the hospital and a really lovely ward sister called me back and talked to me about it. She said as the bleeding is so light it could be days before the worst bit happens but as these things are so unpredictable it could equally happen today. Im glad I came home but feel a bit melodramatic as (fingers crossed) it hasnt got worse yet. She eplained what the worst be will be like and gave me  a number to call if it gets unbearable and i cant cope with it at home. Im really hoping that it holds off until thursday and my appointment as hopefully the mc can be given a helping hand and managed, rather than going through that. I feel relly awkward about work as they didnt know im pregnant and i dont really know the manager very well yet. As im a temp i also dont get sick pay. Im going to ring her tomoro and explain ( i usually work from home on tues) and request that I can work from home on wed too if im well enough as I dont think I can cope with being away from home at the mo. Sorry if tmi.

• I do feel for you honey, its an awful thing to go through. I have had 8 losses myself including 2 ectopics..its not an easy time. You need to rest up. If you go the Dr's they'll just tell you to go home and rest and let nature take its course. Sounds awful I know. Take it easy xx

• Thinking of you and hope things are going as well as possible in this situation xx
  • sadly it looks like i mc naturally at home this morning image woke up with period type pain which turned into contractions. spent two hours on the loo, lost lots of blood and large clots and then had severe pain before passing something enormous which i assume was the sac. felt instantly better after that happened. i really wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. going to stay at home and rest for a couple of days then got to go hospital Thursday to check it is all over . think its going to take a long time to get over the loss as i had really relaxed about the pregnancy until last week. Hubby and i have decided to wait until September to ttcagain
  • sorry stupid phone! going to focus on celebrating dd second birthday on jubillee day and have a relaxing summer. hope to join you all again in autumn (or not cos hopefully you'll all have your bfp by then x)
  • oh Devon_mummy that's terrible are you ok now? well i went for another scan today and the heartbeat is way too slow so i was told that i will most probably miscarry again too...the 4th time image i have a scan in 7 days time and i just wish it doesn't start naturally as i'm pertified of it!!!xx

• hi hopebeansticks, i do feel a bit sore and tired and trying to take it easy now. strangely though, just a couple of hours on, i feel loads better than i have for weeks. i really hope that it isnt bad news for you and that your little bean holds on x really feel for you and keeping my fingers crossed. please keep us posted x thank you so much to everyone for their support x
  • Devon Mummy - I am so sorry so hear what you have been going through. I think your decision to hold of ttc for a little while is probabley a good thing as it is a terrible thing to go through. I had my mmc in december and had a ERPC. I started ttc straight away because i felt I wzs ready. Its only now I am pg again I realised the pressure I was putting my body under not to mention myself and dh. I believe once I managed to get myself to relax I was able to 'recover' and fell pg again. I hope you and dh and DD have a wonderful jubilee birthday celebration. go easy on yourself. Plenty of rest and iron to help you recover from the blood loss. I wish you all the best for when you ttc again x x x

• thanks bluestar x been feeling better the last couple of days. i think the sunny weather really helps and ive had a couple of lovely days with dd. makesme think how lucky i am to have her. i do still keep having moments where i still feel really depressed about it and so sad and it just creeps up on me randomly. hopefully it will get gradually easier. its just silly things like i haven't bought any summer clothes as i was going to get maternity clothes and because i got a little bit of a bloated tummy still none of my skirts fit. then i get sad cos it hits me Im not pregnant any more
  • HI devon mummy - how are you? Hope you are keeping ok and I understand your sadness re the clothes....its the little things like that that often hit the hardest. Enjoy the jubilee weekend and have a lovely time. If you decided not to wait till September, do give us a yell and join in the ttc club.

Apple x

• HI Apple13 - thank you so much for your message x TBH im really up and down still at the mo. Some days I feel ok, just a bit sad and then something little will trigger me and I start blubbing again image Im probably being a bit hard on myself though as its only been a week since the mc. I do feel a bit lost though. I wish i was still able to join in on a forum and chat as i erally miss talking on the due in forums, but we're kind of in limbo at the mo as we're waiting to ttc in autumn. We would love to start ttc asap but there is a bit of an awkward famly situation. My sis is getting married abroad at the beginning of next year and has asked me to be maid of honour and if I get pregnant now I wont be able to go to the wedding as you are not sposed to fly after 7 months. So even though i would love to start ttc now I know that it would save a lot of stress if we didnt. I just hope that it doesnt take us forever to get pg this time though! took one month for dd but the second time it took eight months to fall pregnant and im worried it will take that long again. Im 35 this year so keep worrying that it will be too late :/