Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

6 weeks pregnant, told no heartbeat

Hi, hope I am doing this right as I never wrote on a forum before.   I am 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant and just back fromt he hospital after a scan, as I have been spotting this last few days, I have been having kind of fluttery cramps since before I found out I was pregnant thought it was just my period coming and light spotting.  The spotting seemed to stop, the fluttery cramps continued and got the odd pain in my stomach, some spotting started again, mainly after I went to the toilet and wiped myself but it was light and watery looking,  sometimes then it was blackish and kind of jellyish but not alot, and a little bit of staining in my underwear.   The  pregnancy sack and all was there, but the scanner said she could not detect a heartbeat, she done a stomach scan and vaginal scan,  and there was brown blood on the vaginal scan when she removed it.  I have to go back this time next week for another scan,  she also said if I start to bleed I can head to the gynie ward at anytime.  We had been trying for a year and where delighted to finally be pregnant I am 33 years old and first pregnancy.   What will I expect when the bleeding starts,  and why do I have to go back next week for another scan to hear all the same news again? She said that it is bad news and there would be no heartbeat next week. 

I dont know what to do or expect, some advise would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Finn

Replies

• Hi Finn,

Im sorry to hear your sad news. I had a missed miscarriage and found out at my 12 week scan but the baby died at 8 weeks apparently. i also had to wait a week and go back for another scan which was the worst week of my life even though i already knew the outcome. I imagine they want you to come back to see if they need to give you any medical management. Im sorry for these horrible details but they will scan you to see if there is any of the baby or the sack left or if you passed the baby naturally. if there is anything left inside you they may offer you a d & c which is an operation under anesthetic to take the rest away or may give you a tablet to help the process along or they may suggest you continue to pass the baby naturally. sorry if these details are hard to hear at this sad time. i had a d c& c as i had passed nothing and it was the best option for me.

I am 31 and was my first pregnancy too. i am doing better now even though i will never fully get over this loss, and there were many dark days after it happened back at the end of july.

How are you feeling in yourself? Xx
  • Thanks Fairyscare, The more info I have the better as I'm not to sure whats going to happen next.   I'm just resting now, and feel a bit crampy like I'm due my period, I've had these cramps since I was due my period, so don't know if this is normal or not.   I'm very weepy and restless, and would love to get stuck into housework or something, just to take my mind of it, but everyones telling me to rest up to be on the safe side. I have a wee photo of the embryo, which is something I will always treasure.  I am so sorry for your loss,  that sounds horrific, as when you get to the 12 week you would think alls grand when you havent had any problems. Im of work now till after next weeks scan, as I'm terrified I would start to have the miscarriage at work, I am a sales assistant in a pharmacy, so on my feet for up to 13 hours a day.  I'm hoping they will do a d&c as if I dont pass it between now and next Thursday, it will just make me fill worse.   My husbands away working at the moment, so thank god for the pet dogs to keep me company.,   Its just horrible when your so excited and then it stops, as you well know.   Hope you are getting better, and time is getting easier for you xx

• Hello Finn

Sorry to hear that you are in such a difficult place at the moment - not really knowing where you stand and how things are. Try not to give up hope totally at this time as it is so early on in the pregnancy it is very hard to judge. They have to be cautious as it might have been a late ovulation / implantation that means its not as developed as you might expect.

Try to remember if it is bad news though this is nothing that you have done - its one of life's awful things that some women have the misfortune to experience. Are you able to contact your DH at all even though he is away?

I have had five mcs - all between 7 and 11 weeks. I have had three natural and 2 D&Cs now and each has been very different. With my natural mcs, I had bad cramps and heavy bleeding (but then I have a blood clotting problem) and passed tissue and have had some at home and some at hospital on the ward. I found the first one the most traumatic as I didn't know what to expect - after that the others have not been as scary and personally I prefer to be at home. Is there anyone else you can have stay with you for support?

You can ask for a D&C once they have confirmed no growth / no HB if that is what you want but do make sure that you explore all the options - some hospitals offer medical management as well, so its worth asking. 

Take good care of yourself and come over to 'ttc after miscarriage' if this is what it actually turns out to be. Good luck.

Apple x

• Do you know what I should be doing? Bit of black discharge this morning, flutter cramps as normal and the odd wee pain.   Should I carry on as normal until next weeks scan, like do the normal housework and go back to work, or do I have to keep rested and feet up.  My husband is away and will be for the next few weeks, but hes in a huff with his boss and is on the phone bitching about him, which is completely stressing me out,  ended up doing my housework then, because I feel so stressed. Im liable to bust out crying at any given time.  I just don't know what to do, please help me,  I just feel like crap, and bad for my husband because hes not enjoying his job. What can I do for my body.  I've excepted now that there more than likely wont be a heartbeat again next Thursday, I just want it over with, so I can carry on as normal, and pretend nothings happened, or deal with it on my own.  Please advise me. xxxx

• Im sorry to hear that you are both having a crap time. im not sir what the answer is because it sounds like a hideous waiting game you're having to play. it sounds like you are still maiscarrying, could you ring your doctor for specific advice or the midwife? Who has advised you to rest and put your feet up, obviously you need to take care of yourself but i wouldn't have thought that would stop the bleeding. i would call in and see what the professionals say but i would imagine they still want you in for the scan. do you have anyone you can have over for some emotional support? Xx
  • I'll be fine, just don't know what I should be doing,  do you know how long it would be before I fully miscarry. Just wish it was all over now, I know that sounds awful.  The doctor told me to take the full week of work no matter what the outcome would be, to rest my body.  Just had enough today, done housework, and just in from exercising dogs.  I feel the more active I am the better it is going to be, instead of sitting around the house.  Not ready for work though as I don't want people asking what was wrong, a couple of my colleagues know, that I'm friendly with, so their making sure everything is as it should be.  I might call to a friend later, I'll see how I feel.  Thank you so much for your support, its great having someone to talk to xxx

• Started to bleed bright red blood now, especially when I go to the toilet,  I'm presuming this is the start of my periond/miss.  Getting a nippy feeling in my stomach and alot of gurgling think I'm going to get a bit windy with it.  It feels like a period is going to start as even the top of my inner thigh are getting achy like I would with a period image.  I have put on a pad now, just to be sure incase I bleed when I'm sleeping.  We have accepted this, and are devastated,  when we would have loved this child, but we will plant a tree for baby, I was sure it would have been a boy, husband reckons it was a girl as soon as I fell pregnant!!  So we are holding on to that as fond memories as our first wee angel.  We are both commited to trying again as soon as he is home.  Thanks for your support, will check in again tomorrow xxxx

• It sounds as though you are in the full throws of a miscarriage now honey, just monitor what's happening i was told by hospital that if the blood soak the pad within half an hour then you must go into hospital. i hope its not too painful for you.

sounds like you already have some lovely ways to remember the baby. i think at the moment it is a case of just going with how you feel and not putting pressure omit yourself to do anything because you feel you should be, it has been a massive learning curve for me that i simply cant just make myself be strong....it takes time and i still get caught by overwhelming emotions from.time to time.

I got my period this morning after 46 days since my d & c, i am relieved as me and hobby will ttc for a BFP in October now. even though the thought of being pregnant again is really terrifying in case it happens again! Xxx
  • Think is passed out yesterday morning,  started period then.   There was a big clot today on my pad, and the cramps are really sore, but there isn't a major heavy bleed.   Feeling very hormonal and weepy at times, I am presuming  this is normal as well.  I have my follow up scan on Thursday morning,  I am going to keep this appointment just to go through it with the nurse.  I will go to my gp then on Friday.  Just to know where I go from here.  

Fairysare you must be relieved to finally get your period after your d&c,  I hope your not in to much pain,  hopefully now you won't have to wait to long befor your pregnant again, and you'll have a healthy happy pregnancy. 

Hope you feel better soon, I'm off to bed to chill out, and rest,  not fit for much,  I'll be off work again this week, because Iwould be liable to end up crying or something at the smallest things, and plus I wouldnt be fit with the cramps.  Hope to hear from you again with happynews, take care of yourself xxx