Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Smoking and ectopic pregnancy - blaming myself

Hi all, no harsh answers please. I had an ectopic pregnancy removed a couple of weeks ago. I've read about the risk factors and I meet two of them - having had chlamydia in the past (9 months) and smoking. I smoked 5-10 per day on and off for about 18 years however I cut down considerably in the 3 months or so before ttc and was smoking about 5-10 per week. I know this still isn't good but it was better than it was. I have read so much about the links with ectopics and smoking and think there is a good chance that this contributed to it or caused it. Either that or the chlamdydia. I feel so down that this may all be my fault. Im not even sure the damage from smoking is reversible. I'm not looking for sympathy as I know how stupid I've been, but I wondered if anyone else who was a smoker and had an ectopic and then went onto have a successful pregnancy? so that I know there is still hope. Thank you.

Replies

• Options

cant figure out if you quit smoking while pregnant or not- as for smoking before pregnancy...i dont see how that would contribute to a etopic image

I had a miscarrage in april last year and was a heavy smoker but quit as soon as i knew i was pregnant, im now 11 weeks pregnant and again quit as soon as i found out.

If anything i would say the chlamydia is the culprilt as its well known it can cause problems conciving if left untreated and causes scar tissue

Have they looked at the damage caused by the chlamydia? xx

• Options

Hi Jess,

Try not to be too hard on yourself, this time just wasn't the right time.

I don't smoke myself but know several women who do smoke and have continued smoking throughout their pregnancies successfully carrying their children to term.

As for Chlamydia, the knowledge on this is growing all the time, talk to your Dr about your concerns and see if they can't reassure you.  Best wishes.