Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Missed Miss Carriage - What do I do?

Hi Everyone.  I'm hoping for some advice.  This is my second pregnancy.  My first ended with an ultrasound at 11 weeks and finding out the baby was only measuring 9 weeks with no heartbeat.  I opted for the D&C just because emotionally I was so shocked and couldn't fathom the wait.  I'm now pregnant again and have been pretty guarded for the first trimester just because I am was so scared of another miscarriage.  Sure enough, last week I went in for an early ultrasound at 8 weeks 5 days for them to find the baby only measuring 6 weeks and no heartbeat.  I go back in a couple days for another ultrasound to confirm there has been no growth and still no heartbeat.  Then I will have to decide how to proceed.

Does anyone know if its dangerous to wait it out to miscarry naturally? How long before risk of infection? Also, if I do go naturally, what should i expect? I'm just worried it will happen at work or suddenly in public and I wo'nt have time to get home.  I just have no idea what to expect or if the D&C is the right option.  It is just so expensive and I don't want to spend the next several months paying a surgery bill as a reminder of what has happened again. I'm pretty emotionally exhausted a this point so any advice is welcome!

Replies

• jen im so so sorry i dont know what to say, these things happene every day and i dont know why. i was in your shoes last year 2 times and im preg again. i promise you one day you will carry a baby full term. i dont know what to say to you.

• Jen,

I'm sooooo sorry honey! Are you in the US? The medical costs threw me a bit because in the UK you don't pay for a D&C. I went through this in April and opted for D&C / ERPC. There are risks with both options to be honest. If you take the tablets to deliver / miscarry the baby naturally you are likely to go through a lot of pain. They told me that morphine would be prescribed immediately if I was to select that option. I opted for ERPC because I was in too much emotional pain and I did not want to go through all the physical pain too. Also if you take the tablets you may not pass all the tissue and you won't know if you passed everything unless they do a scan. It is up to you honey, I know this will sound wrong but it is a personal preference image In respect of the infection, I do not know much about it, but the sooner you can get it out the better - I think.

I know that there are not many things that will make you feel better right now, but chin up honey, you will have a baby one day and that time will come very soon!

Love J

• Hi ladies,(my story is quite long,sorry ladies)

Jen i'm so sorry for your loss.I, too had a missed misscarriage.I went for an ultrasound on october 9th, at 12 weeks 4days just to find out my baby is 9 weeks 1 day and had no heartbeat.I had two options;either a D&C or take a medication to induce abortion, i didn't want to wait for natural miscarriage.anyways i opted for the medication apo misoprosol.I was to take 4 dose every after 6 hours.i took the first dose on thursday evening. after 15 mins, i started having cramps with no bleeding(i forgot to mention, before i discovered my baby has stopped growing, i had experienced on and off spotting for 3 days).Then an hour later, the cramps increase with light bleeding.it was so painful, i took some pain killer but didn't help.I had a heating pad apply to my lower abdomen but yet, the relief wasn't that great.some few minutes later, i felt like something burst out of my vagina, then there was blood all over me.luckly enough i had my husband with me, who carry me to the bathroom and put me under the shower.The blood clots didn't stop coming out of my vaginal.i spent about 10 mins under the shower with blood flowing out of me continously.This was happening between 11pm and 1am.

After the warm shower, i felt a bit relief for some few minutes, then the cramping started again, lasted for about 10-15 mins, then i felt like something was trying to come out again, so i went and sat on the toilet,that's when i passed out 3 large blood clots and immediately the pain seized.i took the 2nd dose of apo misoprosol at about 1am,still experienced cramps but not as painful as before.I finally felt asleep at about 3am then got up 7:30am to insert the 3rd dose which provoked some cramping accompanied by light bleeding.The last dose was inserted at 1:30pm,I didn't get any cramping and the bleeding had somehow stop.

The next day satursday, i had little or no pain,the bleeding was light.i even spent the day with some friends, i thought i was out of the danger zone, which was not the case.On sunday around mid day,i had some cramping which i can't really describe how painful it was.this pain was worse than the one on thurday night.it was like my lower body was trying cut itself from my upper body.i took a mixture of ibruprofen and tylenol but no help.I experience just light bleeding during this awful moments.This pain will occur every after 5 mins and will last about 6-8mins.i can't remember how long the pain lasted but i do remembered my husband taking me to the bathroom and me getting a warm bath around 4pm.After that, the pain subsidised untill we even went to a friend's house for dinner.At around 9:20pm at the friend's house, the pain began again,i couldn't walk, it was so painful, i thought i was going to die.This time around, my husband and brother couldn't bear anymore seeing me suffering like this.so they took me to the er(i live in Canada) that sunday night.it took the nurses forever in order to get me a room and a doctor to come see me.anyways,i was injected a more stronger painkiller which help.they also did some blood test and vaginal examination.the doctor said it could be an infection causing the pain but wasn't sure.my blood test were good, showed my hormones were dropping.We got to the er at 11pm, left at 5am in the morning because there was just one doctor and he was very busyimage.He did prescribed two strong painkillers and an anti-biotic to prevent infection.On thanksgiving day, i was able to sleep that morning as we left the er but later around mid day again, the cramping started but didn't last for long as i took the new painkillers the doctor prescribed.i passed out few blood clots.

On tuesday 15th, i no cramping but light bleedings.on wednsday i went for an ultrasound to check if i passed out everything.w