Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

mmc but a little bleeding

Hi, just after some advice. I went for a private scan on tues after a very, very small amount of spotting on Saturday and they confirmed that the pregnancy had ended at 6 weeks - it was a twin pregnancy though and as one was measuring below 6mm they need to rescan after 7 days but at the scan they said there was no bloodflow and no heartbeats. Anyway I have started bleeding, but only a little bit and not as much as I would have expected for a mc (but I've never had one before). It starts and stops and no clots yet. How long does it take to 'kick off' so to speak?

Replies

• Hi Pollydoll, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Everyone is different, it depends when your body realises it isn't pregnant anymore.  I had a mmc in July and my body didn't know for about 3 weeks, so I had medical management. Even after that there was retained tissue for another 8 weeks. I'm not trying to scare you - everyone is completely different and it just depends on when your body will kick start it.

Some people don't know until their 12 week scan that the baby died at 6 weeks - it baffles me how the body can be so detatched from reality.

You should know when you pass the pregnancy. I didn't bleed as much as I'd been warned I would (which turned out to be because of retained tissue) but I did know when I passed the pregnancy.

I hope this ends quickly for you, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Big hugs xxx

• Thanks very much for your response. Do you know how long it takes for pg symptoms to go? I have my op on Tuesday but am still getting hunger pains, heartburn, morning sickness and stuff!! Thanks xx
  • Good luck for Tuesday. As long as all the tissue goes, the HCG should reduce quickly so maybe a week (ish) after. It's so cruel that you still feel pregnant when you know you're not! Your early preg unit will tell you to take a test a week or 2 after your op, your symptoms should go before you get a bfn. You're less likely to have retained tissue by having a d&c so will keep my fingers crossed for you xx