Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

No Heartbeat at 7 Weeks

Hi ladies, can't believe I'm having to write this. I started with some brown discharge yesterday so phoned my epu & they booked me in for a scan today. I had darker brown & dark red blood discharge this morning. I'm 7+4 today. There was no heartbeat on the scan & baby is measuring more like 6 & a half weeks. They've booked me in for another scan next week just in case my dates are wrong & it's too early to pick up a heartbeat but I know my dates are right so this is just procedure really. They've said they expect me to start miscarrying as even at 6 & a half weeks they should be able to see a heartbeat on an internal scan.

Just wondering in everyone's experience how long before that first brown discharge before everything started properly? I feel like I'm stuck in limbo. Also I've heard that it's best to avoid a d&c as this can affect fertility afterwards. Should I hold off & say I want it to happen naturally? How long is too long to wait? Do I have any other options? I feel numb at the moment.

Xx

Replies

• I am really sorry for your loss and totally understand why you want to get things moving. I have had 5 mc and everyone and its bleeding have been different. In my experience you have already started spotting so your body is getting prepared. Hopefully things get moving before your next scan and you don't have to go down the medical management or d&c route. I have had both done and have had successful pregnancy after the medical management also after natural miscarriage but I know people who have had successful pregnancy after d&c so if you do need to go down that route don't worry about it affecting your fertility x

• mummytaylor2 sorry to hear your news. im going through a similar  thing, 8wks pg (I think) and I went yesterday for my scan yesterday and found the sac but no heartbeat and have to go back in week for another scan and if it hasn't progressed I need a d&c. I cant believe it. although I haven't had any bleeding and this morning I had my sickness as usual I feel completely betrayed by my own body. the midwife said I could have something called blighted ovum with means the sac grows but the baby doesn't progress. ive googled it and found stories of women who have had this and been told the pg isn't going to progress but have went back the next wk and the little mite has appeared so im hoping my dates are wrong just. im trying to stay positive but my husband isn't he thinks of the worst just to prepare himself but im not ready to give up just yet.xxx

• Thanks ladies. 

I read your post this morning actually Jilly. Can't believe we're going through similar things at the same time. Sounds like I'm taking the same approach as your husband, I can't get my hopes up for next week to then just have it confirmed. The baby was measuring 6.3mm so they should definitely have been able to see a heartbeat. I've had no bleeding since yesterday & no cramping at all, I just want my body to deal with it so we can move on. Xx

• Im just trying to stay positive for my sanity without trying to fool myself either but its such a fine line. Have u stopped taking ur pregnancy vitamins? They never said yesterday so I dont know what to do with them? Xx
  • Yeah it's so difficult isn't it!! You've had no bleeding so fingers crossed everything is ok for you!! 

I actually ran out of pregnancy vitamins yesterday & was meant to pick some more up if all this hadn't happened (trying not to take that as some weird sign!) But I've still got some trying to conceive vitamins so I'm going to take them to keep the frolic acid in my system as we want to start trying  again as soon as possible.

I don't think they understand how horrendous the waiting is for us do they!! X

• Ive had no bleeding or cramping, well abit of cramping but when I told the doctor she said it was just stretching my uterus. I took mine this morning as usual. Think I'll carry on taking them just until next week. They really dont understand it mummytaylor2. I understand rhey need a week to see if theres any progress but still its the fact of 7 days of limbo and mental torture. image xx
  • hi huni so sorry to read this, i can only offer my experiance but sadly neither had a good out come xxx

keeping every thing crossed for you xx

• If you could tell me your experiences Sarah that would be great! I just know that this is it is trying to prepare myself with all of the information. My way of dealing with things I suppose. X

• Hi huni

Well with my 1st m/c it was back in may i fell and when i tested i got a clear 2 lines the folowing day i started bleeding bright red blood, the bleeding went on for 15 days, i was given scans and each time there was never any growth and i lost baby 1st week of july natural m/c.

2nd m/c was very different indeed, i fell again in october 3 months after my 1st m/c i got all the way up to 6 weeks with out any pros then i woke up one morning feeling a bit wet, on going for a wee and wiping i noticed this strange brown discharge that almost looked like dark choc (only way i can think of it) i knew some thing was wrong so called for an early scan i went in i should have been 6 weeks but they said no your only 5 wks and we cant see why your bleeding all looks ok....they set up another scan for 7 days later, i carried on bleeding the 7 days a mix of brown, pink and red blood but never cramping and some days i would have a 8-12 hour gap with no bleeding, so i went back knowing i should be 7 weeks they scanned me and said i was 6 weeks and showed me babies heart beating, i was in shock thinking all was ok then she said those words! "id like to see you again in 7 days as baby is small for 6 wks" i was a bit nieve because i had seen a heart beat i thought il be fine so will baby, so a week later we went back, thinking we would have the scan then finish with a last bit of xmas shopping as it was the 23rd of december, i walked into the room and she tried a belly scan it went quiet and she just went hmm can i do an internal i knew it was over! she did the internal and said im sorry baby has died, his heart has stopped, i couldnt believe it i felt sick and in shock that this could happen to me twice, she booked me in for a d&c on the 24th december, i was heart broken not how i wanted to spend xmas eve but i had to have baby out of me asap, she said it could take upto 6 weeks to happen naturally as my cervix was still closed.

I bled for 6 days after the d&c not painful just like a normal period, and my af turned up in january 5 days late, then to our shock we got a BFP in feb! so far touch wood there seems to be no problems, they have scanned me i thought i was 7wks 4 days but i was 7wks 2 days, there is a scan pic up on here some where.

If there is any thing else you want to know please feel free to ask, il keep every thing crossed for you babes xxxx

• Your 2nd one sounds like what's happening now. I'm mostly bothered about it taking so long so when I go back for the next scan on wednesday if nothing more is happening I guess we'll talk about options. It's comforting to hear that u fell pregnant again quite quickly after the d&c as I was worried that could cause ttc again to take longer. Thanks for sharing hun. Xx

• I'm so sorry you're going through this mummytaylor2. It's awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I had a mmc last July, should have been 9 weeks but the baby died between 6-7 weeks. I had brown spotting and a tiny bleed which was why I had scans, and like u I was told to come back in a week. Then they still couldn't be sure for some reason so I had to wait another 2 weeks for it to be confirmed.  My body had no idea so I was still getting pg symptoms and I did not mc naturally. Even after medical management I was still testing positive for several weeks. It's up to you if you want to wait or have some sort of intervention, I chose intervention because it can take weeks for your body to realise you are no longer pg.  I will be thinking of you lots, really hope everything happens quickly for you and you can move on xxx if you have any questions feel free to PM me (or post on here) big hugs xxx

• Thank you so much. I really thought I wanted to avoid intervention but even 2 days of being in limbo I'm finding so tough! So the thought of it going on for weeks is awful. I wasn't having tons of pregnancy symptoms anyway (didn't with my dd either) so it's going to be difficult to tell if things are decreasing. I was showing a lot for my dates though with it being 2nd baby & I think my stomach has gone down already so maybe things are decreasing now. X

• Hi huni

Your welcome huni, yes i also thought the d&c option would hold up ttc again but i was told its kinda strange having a d&c now days is nothing like it use to be, when my mum had one they took away all the lining where as now they dont take so much away, i will say i took folic acid from the day of my d&c and i feel it has helped, they said that some times having a d&c takes away all the bad so that falling again is a bit easier if this is true or not iv no idea but its worked for me.

Try not to worry tho huni there are loads of ladies that have the follow up scan and all is ok, my advise is to take each day as it comes, and as hard as it might sound try not to stress....my dear friend said to me what will be will be and at the time i thought omg how bloody evil but it makes sence in a round about way.

Sending hugs to you xxxx

• Well ladies I think I passed the majority of clots & tissue on Saturday & Sunday. I barely had any cramps so I feel like I've got off really lightly compared to what some people say. Not getting my hopes up that it's all over yet just in case it comes & goes? Does that happen? I'm barely bleeding now, like last day of period bleeding, but watery. Does it sound like its stopping?

Feeling really down today. I'd been feeling fine, even over the weekend but think it's hit me today. Struggling most with the fact our dd will be nearly 4 by the time next baby arrives & that's if we fall straight away. We never wanted this long a gap but I have problems with my hips & it's been years to get confirmation of the course of action for my hips & now this. Feeling really upset about it. Xx
  • Hi huni

Have you got another scan booked?

im so sorry babes it dont sound very good if you passed clots and tissue over the weekend but dont give up just yet! the bleeding slowing down/ almost stopping is a good sign tho as for me i had heavy bleeding for about 5 days after i passed baby in july.

my friend had this she thought she had passed baby and when she went back for her follow up scan baby was still there, so dont give up just yet.

i wish there was more i could offer but until they scan you again its a bit of a waiting game image xxx

• Oh no there's definitely no part of me that thinks it isn't a miscarriage. I'd accepted that from the first scan last week. The scan on Wednesday is just to make sure everything has gone.

It's just weird, I had the heavy bleeding & clots/tissue for less than 24hrs. Maybe I'm just lucky that the experience is no harder than it already is. X
  • when i had my natural m/c i passed 3 huge clots on the saturday afternoon and that was all xx

• Oh, we're so sorry to read this mummytaylor2.

And to see you're in the same situation, Jillly.

Wishing you both much love and strength.

• So sorry mummytaylor2. Thinking of U, sending U big hugs xxx

• Sorry to read ur sad news hun x